Page 43 of 84 FirstFirst ... 33414243444553 ... LastLast
Results 421 to 430 of 838

Thread: Biden: Obama Considering 'Executive Order' to Deal With Guns | The Weekly Standard

  1. #421
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Biden: Obama Considering 'Executive Order' to Deal With Guns | The Weekly Standar

    Quote Originally Posted by VanceMack View Post
    You aiiiiight with gun bans. I'm not. You support an assault on the second amendment. I don't. You pretend its all just an innocent and innocuous ban. I know better. You pooh pooh it and discount it because...at the end of the day...you want it.

    Summary of 2013 legislation

    Following is a summary of the 2013 legislation:

    Bans the sale, transfer, importation, or manufacturing of:
    120 specifically-named firearms;
    Certain other semiautomatic rifles, handguns, shotguns that can accept a detachable magazine and have one or more military characteristics; and
    Semiautomatic rifles and handguns with a fixed magazine that can accept more than 10 rounds.
    Strengthens the 1994 Assault Weapons Ban and various state bans by:
    Moving from a 2-characteristic test to a 1-characteristic test;
    Eliminating the easy-to-remove bayonet mounts and flash suppressors from the characteristics test; and
    Banning firearms with “thumbhole stocks” and “bullet buttons” to address attempts to “work around” prior bans.
    Bans large-capacity ammunition feeding devices capable of accepting more than 10 rounds.
    Protects legitimate hunters and the rights of existing gun owners by:
    Grandfathering weapons legally possessed on the date of enactment;
    Exempting over 900 specifically-named weapons used for hunting or sporting purposes; and
    Exempting antique, manually-operated, and permanently disabled weapons.
    Requires that grandfathered weapons be registered under the National Firearms Act, to include:
    Background check of owner and any transferee;
    Type and serial number of the firearm;
    Positive identification, including photograph and fingerprint;
    Certification from local law enforcement of identity and that possession would not violate State or local law; and
    Dedicated funding for ATF to implement registration.
    I'm sorry, but that is all just hype. Nothing on there taken either individually or on the whole constitutes banning all weapons.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  2. #422
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,692

    Re: Biden: Obama Considering 'Executive Order' to Deal With Guns | The Weekly Standar

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    I'm sorry, but that is all just hype. Nothing on there taken either individually or on the whole constitutes banning all weapons.
    That isn't hyoe, it is a small piece of the proposed legislation. As to what it 'targets', by definition it would make virtually EVERY semiautomatic weapon illegal.

  3. #423
    Professor
    Shadow Serious's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Last Seen
    07-18-14 @ 07:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    1,460

    Re: Biden: Obama Considering 'Executive Order' to Deal With Guns | The Weekly Standar

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    Difficult doesn't mean banned. And you will find a majority of city folks prefer less guns and not more. But the fact remains that guns have not remotely been banned.
    It doesn't matter what some or most of the city folks prefer the right to bear arms is just as fundamental a right as the right of free speech, the press, assembly, religion, a just trial (and no cruel or unusual punishment), just compensation for eminent domain, or the right not to testify against yourself. When one right has been weakened the rest are also weakened. The right not to have ones property or person to be searched has been weakened and may then be used as precedent to weaken others. No on this the right to bear must be affirmed.

    Also a ban against guns is NEVER a total ban. Those who are rich enough or politically well connected enough will not have to go thru all the hoops that the municipality will place to prevent the right to bear at least they will find the way easier to do so. When it comes to commoners no such luck you will wait your turn while the officials find some minor detail to deny the permit. The only thing that should deny such is if that person has a serious mental illness or has actively made threats against some person or group of persons.

    Further more the one in New York treats the possession of a gun at a home as a privilege not a right and that permit doesn't include the right to bear. The requirments also required the person to indicate whether the were arrestred with a crime more serious than a parking violation and not just convicted. So there shows that it could be denied. When I looked at Chicago's website I was not able to find the info their online permit application was being "upgraded" and was not available and would have any applicant go to the office where they could apply.
    An Enlightened Master is ideal only if your goal is to become a Benighted Slave. -- Robert Anton Wilson

  4. #424
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Biden: Obama Considering 'Executive Order' to Deal With Guns | The Weekly Standar

    Quote Originally Posted by VanceMack View Post
    That isn't hyoe, it is a small piece of the proposed legislation. As to what it 'targets', by definition it would make virtually EVERY semiautomatic weapon illegal.
    Limited to semi automatics. This is not all guns, nor not allowing you to defend yourself. I won't shed any crocodile tears of semi automatics.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  5. #425
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Biden: Obama Considering 'Executive Order' to Deal With Guns | The Weekly Standar

    Quote Originally Posted by Shadow Serious View Post
    It doesn't matter what some or most of the city folks prefer the right to bear arms is just as fundamental a right as the right of free speech, the press, assembly, religion, a just trial (and no cruel or unusual punishment), just compensation for eminent domain, or the right not to testify against yourself. When one right has been weakened the rest are also weakened. The right not to have ones property or person to be searched has been weakened and may then be used as precedent to weaken others. No on this the right to bear must be affirmed.

    Also a ban against guns is NEVER a total ban. Those who are rich enough or politically well connected enough will not have to go thru all the hoops that the municipality will place to prevent the right to bear at least they will find the way easier to do so. When it comes to commoners no such luck you will wait your turn while the officials find some minor detail to deny the permit. The only thing that should deny such is if that person has a serious mental illness or has actively made threats against some person or group of persons.

    Further more the one in New York treats the possession of a gun at a home as a privilege not a right and that permit doesn't include the right to bear. The requirments also required the person to indicate whether the were arrestred with a crime more serious than a parking violation and not just convicted. So there shows that it could be denied. When I looked at Chicago's website I was not able to find the info their online permit application was being "upgraded" and was not available and would have any applicant go to the office where they could apply.
    I'm sorry, but we're really only talking about semi automatics. Most people of all economic classes who what a gun, can have one. And trying to read into laws something that isn't their (the answering the questions could bit) isn't equal to the law actually preventing. Your side too often misreads and supposes what turns out to not actually be the case.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  6. #426
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Last Seen
    09-18-16 @ 03:33 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    12,029

    Re: Biden: Obama Considering 'Executive Order' to Deal With Guns | The Weekly Standar

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    Limited to semi automatics. This is not all guns, nor not allowing you to defend yourself. I won't shed any crocodile tears of semi automatics.
    Semi-automatics didn't even exist when the 2nd Amendment was passed. So much for strict construction and originalism among gun advocates.

  7. #427
    Advisor Iron Yank's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Last Seen
    12-21-16 @ 09:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    317

    Re: Biden: Obama Considering 'Executive Order' to Deal With Guns | The Weekly Standar

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    Limited to semi automatics. This is not all guns, nor not allowing you to defend yourself. I won't shed any crocodile tears of semi automatics.
    In turn I wouldnt shed any tears if your house was invaded by multiple intruders and you & your wife & kids were all there & you had to defend yourself with a single shot. My guess is you wouldnt be able to stop them and your family would be at there mercy.

  8. #428
    User
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Last Seen
    07-26-13 @ 03:37 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    47

    Re: Biden: Obama Considering 'Executive Order' to Deal With Guns | The Weekly Standar

    Quote Originally Posted by phoenyx View Post
    Glad we agree :-)



    I have to say at this point, that although I'm not American, I would have voted for Obama both times. I would have preferred Dennis Kucinich, but he didn't win the Democratic nomination. I'm disappointed that Obama's bailed out the banks just like Bush did, he's legalized warrantless wiretapping, he went back on his promise to look into the safety of vaccines and he seems uniterested in doing a new investigation on 9/11, but I'm really hoping that it's just that he's not informed, and that he's not one of those who would like to create a police state. I know that people who I greatly respect, such as Sibel Edmonds, are not impressed with him (the Whistleblower act that passed during his time as president does absolutely nothing to protect people in organizations such as the FBI), but I keep on hoping that he's just being duped instead of being complicit in anything.



    Thanks :-)
    God, I hope your right. I personally think Obama has done a horrible job.

  9. #429
    Advisor Iron Yank's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Last Seen
    12-21-16 @ 09:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    317

    Re: Biden: Obama Considering 'Executive Order' to Deal With Guns | The Weekly Standar

    Quote Originally Posted by head of joaquin View Post
    Semi-automatics didn't even exist when the 2nd Amendment was passed. So much for strict construction and originalism among gun advocates.
    So then by your logic the only thing we could use to defend ourselves would be a black powder musket?

  10. #430
    Professor
    Shadow Serious's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Last Seen
    07-18-14 @ 07:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    1,460

    Re: Biden: Obama Considering 'Executive Order' to Deal With Guns | The Weekly Standar

    Quote Originally Posted by head of joaquin View Post
    Semi-automatics didn't even exist when the 2nd Amendment was passed. So much for strict construction and originalism among gun advocates.
    But swords and knives did how ever try to open carry them then.
    An Enlightened Master is ideal only if your goal is to become a Benighted Slave. -- Robert Anton Wilson

Page 43 of 84 FirstFirst ... 33414243444553 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •