Page 41 of 84 FirstFirst ... 31394041424351 ... LastLast
Results 401 to 410 of 838

Thread: Biden: Obama Considering 'Executive Order' to Deal With Guns | The Weekly Standard

  1. #401
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Biden: Obama Considering 'Executive Order' to Deal With Guns | The Weekly Standar

    Quote Originally Posted by VanceMack View Post
    DO be sure to mention that next time people offer how wonderfully successful gun bans were in England and elsewhere...
    Why? It doesn't matter if they were successful there or not. We're not them.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  2. #402
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,715

    Biden: Obama Considering 'Executive Order' to Deal With Guns | The Weekly Standard

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    Why? It doesn't matter if they were successful there or not. We're not them.
    That's kinda the point, isn't it.

    We would not be concerned about 'bans' were it not for politicians that rush to trumpet 'bans'. We wouldn't be concerned about gun confiscation and the violation of Constitutional rights were it not for elected officials promoting forced confiscation and the violation of rights.

  3. #403
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Biden: Obama Considering 'Executive Order' to Deal With Guns | The Weekly Standar

    Quote Originally Posted by VanceMack View Post
    That's kinda the point, isn't it.

    We would not be concerned about 'bans' were it not for politicians that rush to trumpet 'bans'. We wouldn't be concerned about gun confiscation and the violation of Constitutional rights were it not for elected officials promoting forced confiscation and the violation of rights.
    A few (very few actually) talk ****. So? The fact remains they can only work within a certain framework. It's called the law. And when legislators have overstepped, the courts have put things back. There is virtually no likelihood or any real ban. So, while it might be discussion worthy to a point, only to a point, it doesn't warrant the hyperbolic panic many seem to project.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  4. #404
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,715

    Biden: Obama Considering 'Executive Order' to Deal With Guns | The Weekly Standard

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    A few (very few actually) talk ****. So? The fact remains they can only work within a certain framework. It's called the law. And when legislators have overstepped, the courts have put things back. There is virtually no likelihood or any real ban. So, while it might be discussion worthy to a point, only to a point, it doesn't warrant the hyperbolic panic many seem to project.
    Talk of bans and executive orders is not hyperbole and yes...it is subject to legal challenge yet here we are. It is very typical. Leftist a propose bans and force confiscation, gun owners respond, and the leftist cheerleaders say hey gun owners...stop overreacting. People like you might have a bit more credibility if your immediate response was aimed at those that start the ban rhetoric, not those that respond.

  5. #405
    Sage
    OpportunityCost's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:56 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    16,807

    Re: Biden: Obama Considering 'Executive Order' to Deal With Guns | The Weekly Standar

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    A few (very few actually) talk ****. So? The fact remains they can only work within a certain framework. It's called the law. And when legislators have overstepped, the courts have put things back. There is virtually no likelihood or any real ban. So, while it might be discussion worthy to a point, only to a point, it doesn't warrant the hyperbolic panic many seem to project.
    I dont know if you realize it, but those are exactly the arguments being made in England before they began implementing bans. Wether they are the same as us or not, there are a number of parallels and the implications are there if you arent blind to them.

  6. #406
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Biden: Obama Considering 'Executive Order' to Deal With Guns | The Weekly Standar

    Quote Originally Posted by VanceMack View Post
    Talk of bans and executive orders is not hyperbole and yes...it is subject to legal challenge yet here we are. It is very typical. Leftist a propose bans and force confiscation, gun owners respond, and the leftist cheerleaders say hey gun owners...stop overreacting. People like you might have a bit more credibility if your immediate response was aimed at those that start the ban rhetoric, not those that respond.
    No, it's hyperbole. And there is no talk of banning all guns. At worse, only an assault weapons ban. So, yes, it is hyperbole. Nothing has happened. Nothing of significance is likely to happen. And like I said, this talk has been the same during my entire 54 years of life. When do you admit that it is silly?

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  7. #407
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Biden: Obama Considering 'Executive Order' to Deal With Guns | The Weekly Standar

    Quote Originally Posted by OpportunityCost View Post
    I dont know if you realize it, but those are exactly the arguments being made in England before they began implementing bans. Wether they are the same as us or not, there are a number of parallels and the implications are there if you arent blind to them.
    Doesn't matter at all. We're not them. There is no chance here. And if laws got passed here, those politicians would be out of office and repeal would be in place before it even got to court. it is silly to be talking about this as if all your guns were going to be banned. It has no chance of happening.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  8. #408
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Last Seen
    01-03-16 @ 02:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,761

    Biden: Obama Considering 'Executive Order' to Deal With Guns | The Weekly Standard

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    Murder suicide. However, it is people shooting each other. Family members. Just heard on the radio from the CDC that we're 43 times more likely to shoot each other, ourselves and family members than to defend ourselves. CDC spokesperson noted that even with the limited budget they had, they could shoot down the self defense stats you like to use. But, then again, we've done that already, haven't we?

    Anyway, the point here is that your hyperbolic fear is largely silly. There are areas of debate. i get you want no restrictions and some what a ban, but the power to ban weapons altogether simply doesn't exist. There is next to no likelihood that you will lose your weapons.
    Based off what numbers?

    Here's a compilation of facts and myths
    http://www.gunfacts.info/pdfs/gun-fa...6_1_screen.pdf

    Fact: Of the 43 deaths reported in this flawed study, 37 (86%) were suicides. Other deaths involved criminal activity between the family members (drug deals gone bad).186

    86, Protection or Peril? An Analysis of Firearm-Related Deaths in the Home, Arthur L. Kellerman, D.T. Reay, 314 New Eng. J. Med. 1557-60, June 12, 1986. (Kellerman admits that his study did "not include cases in which burglars or intruders are wounded or frightened away by the use or display of a firearm." He also admitted his study did not look at situations in which intruders "purposely avoided a home known to be armed." This is a classic case of a “study” conducted to achieve a desired result. In his critique of this “study”, Gary Kleck notes that the estimation of gun ownership rates was “inaccurate”, and that the total population came from a non-random selection of only two cities.)

    Fact: Of the remaining deaths, the deceased family members include felons, drug dealers, violent spouses committing assault, and other criminals.187
    Fact: Only 0.1% (1 in a thousand) of the defensive uses of guns results in the death of the predator.188 This means you are much more likely to prevent a crime without bloodshed than hurt a family member.

    187 Ibid.
    188 Point Blank: Guns and Violence in America, Gary Kleck, New York: Aldine de Gruyter, 1991

  9. #409
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Last Seen
    01-03-16 @ 02:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,761

    Biden: Obama Considering 'Executive Order' to Deal With Guns | The Weekly Standard

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    Doesn't matter at all. We're not them. There is no chance here. And if laws got passed here, those politicians would be out of office and repeal would be in place before it even got to court. it is silly to be talking about this as if all your guns were going to be banned. It has no chance of happening.
    What happens on the 1% chance you are wrong?

  10. #410
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Biden: Obama Considering 'Executive Order' to Deal With Guns | The Weekly Standar

    Quote Originally Posted by BmanMcfly View Post
    Based off what numbers?

    Here's a compilation of facts and myths
    http://www.gunfacts.info/pdfs/gun-fa...6_1_screen.pdf
    You use a gun lobbying site, hardly objective, but using them in suicides supports what I'm saying and doesn't rebut it. You link is merely trying to excuse the fact.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

Page 41 of 84 FirstFirst ... 31394041424351 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •