Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 88

Thread: Republican Party seems as divided, angry as ever

  1. #41
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,998

    Re: Republican Party seems as divided, angry as ever

    I had actually hoped with the 2010 midterms the Republicans had found their method of solidifying the disparate groups by having a unified message focusing primarily on fiscal and governmental conservatism. It's the portoin of the platform that generally most of the various groups within the base like to some degree and is least objectable to any particular group. This is different from the Defense and Social aspects of the platform that appeal more heavily to some parts of the base but act as a deterrent for other parts of the base when it's focused on.

    I do'nt think it's an argument of moderate vs extreme. I think the idiotic "War on Women" meme and comments on rape that some of the candidates made and similar type things were more damaging then the notion of not raising taxes and cutting spending.

  2. #42
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Republic of Florida
    Last Seen
    12-15-17 @ 04:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    14,040

    Re: Republican Party seems as divided, angry as ever

    Quote Originally Posted by Rising Sun View Post
    No doubt there are problems as the GOP continues to find its way, but I think this article overstates its case. If the GOP expects to excel in the 2014 mid-term elections and retake the White House in 2020, they need to regroup and find a common cause.
    I see no reason why we cant have three partys instead of two. Conservative and libertarian Republicans need to leave the party and start backing a third party. It doesnt matter if Democrats win the Presidency if they cant get their way in congress because they have to deal with 2 other partys. At the very least it will force congress to pass legislations which has tri-partisan support.

  3. #43
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Last Seen
    08-29-17 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    16,575

    Re: Republican Party seems as divided, angry as ever

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    I had actually hoped with the 2010 midterms the Republicans had found their method of solidifying the disparate groups by having a unified message focusing primarily on fiscal and governmental conservatism.
    The problem IMO, was that message was not uniformly applied across the board. There are MANY that wanted social program cuts but did not want to reduce the military spending at all. In fact Romney ran on a campaign that would INCREASE the military budget. When the right talks about fiscal responsibility, but then accepts a bloated defense budget, they looked hypocritical.

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    I do'nt think it's an argument of moderate vs extreme. I think the idiotic "War on Women" meme and comments on rape that some of the candidates made and similar type things were more damaging then the notion of not raising taxes and cutting spending.
    Too many social conservatives want the limelight in the GOP cirlces and the country is moving from center to left of center in regards to social issues. Of course the right is not simply going to abandon social conservatism, however, when they put it in the mainstream like they did during the Republican primaries, it's not going to sit well with the majority of the country. Social conservatism is not the reason that the GOP lost, but coupled with an abrasive stance on government programs and comments like "47%", the GOP basically alienated many people IMO.

  4. #44
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Republic of Florida
    Last Seen
    12-15-17 @ 04:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    14,040

    Re: Republican Party seems as divided, angry as ever

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    I had actually hoped with the 2010 midterms the Republicans had found their method of solidifying the disparate groups by having a unified message focusing primarily on fiscal and governmental conservatism. It's the portoin of the platform that generally most of the various groups within the base like to some degree and is least objectable to any particular group. This is different from the Defense and Social aspects of the platform that appeal more heavily to some parts of the base but act as a deterrent for other parts of the base when it's focused on.

    I do'nt think it's an argument of moderate vs extreme. I think the idiotic "War on Women" meme and comments on rape that some of the candidates made and similar type things were more damaging then the notion of not raising taxes and cutting spending.
    Only damaging because the media focuses on things like that instead of actually informing the public or holding democrats accountable. And the voters are idiots so they dont know anything beyond what the media feeds them. If your point is that Republicans have to try harder to live up to the higher standard set by the media on Republicans than Democrats, then youre right. Life isnt fair, and Republicans need to accept that they cant get away with gaffs, or have any benefit of the doubt from the media like democrats can.

  5. #45
    Professor
    Penderyn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    UK, Cymru mostly.
    Last Seen
    05-03-17 @ 09:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,618

    Re: Republican Party seems as divided, angry as ever

    Quote Originally Posted by Rising Sun View Post
    No doubt there are problems as the GOP continues to find its way, but I think this article overstates its case. If the GOP expects to excel in the 2014 mid-term elections and retake the White House in 2020, they need to regroup and find a common cause.
    They are angry as Geroge 111 was: they believe they have the divine right to rule, and people have dared to disagree.

  6. #46
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Last Seen
    08-29-17 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    16,575

    Re: Republican Party seems as divided, angry as ever

    Quote Originally Posted by jonny5 View Post
    Only damaging because the media focuses on things like that instead of actually informing the public or holding democrats accountable. And the voters are idiots so they dont know anything beyond what the media feeds them. If your point is that Republicans have to try harder to live up to the higher standard set by the media on Republicans than Democrats, then youre right. Life isnt fair, and Republicans need to accept that they cant get away with gaffs, or have any benefit of the doubt from the media like democrats can.
    The GOP screwed the GOP.

  7. #47
    Jedi Master
    Captain America's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 01:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    18,672

    Re: Republican Party seems as divided, angry as ever

    Much like Texas wouldn't be such a bad place if there weren't so many Texans living there, the GOP wouldn't be nearly as obnoxious if it didn't have so many Republicans.

    LOL!

    Just kiddin' y'all. I am a Texan. Our humor can be somewhat unique.

    It's GREAT to be me. --- "45% liberal/55% conservative"
    Diplomacy is the art of saying 'nice doggy" until you can find a gun.

  8. #48
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Republic of Florida
    Last Seen
    12-15-17 @ 04:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    14,040

    Re: Republican Party seems as divided, angry as ever

    Quote Originally Posted by Penderyn View Post
    They are angry as Geroge 111 was: they believe they have the divine right to rule, and people have dared to disagree.
    Rhetoric.

  9. #49
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: Republican Party seems as divided, angry as ever

    Quote Originally Posted by jonny5 View Post
    Only damaging because the media focuses on things like that instead of actually informing the public or holding democrats accountable. And the voters are idiots so they dont know anything beyond what the media feeds them. If your point is that Republicans have to try harder to live up to the higher standard set by the media on Republicans than Democrats, then youre right. Life isnt fair, and Republicans need to accept that they cant get away with gaffs, or have any benefit of the doubt from the media like democrats can.
    While there are those who feel the Republicans should get their act together the American people decided to vote for more debt, economic lethargy, an uncertain foreign policy and class warfare.

    I don't feel this is the fault of the Democrats or the Republicans. It is the present generation of the American people who are to blame for this mess, and their reelection of someone like Barrack Obama only underscores that point.

  10. #50
    Professor
    Penderyn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    UK, Cymru mostly.
    Last Seen
    05-03-17 @ 09:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,618

    Re: Republican Party seems as divided, angry as ever

    Quote Originally Posted by jonny5 View Post
    Rhetoric.
    Well, Americans should know!
    Last edited by Penderyn; 01-07-13 at 12:45 PM.

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •