Page 20 of 21 FirstFirst ... 1018192021 LastLast
Results 191 to 200 of 203

Thread: Health care law may mean less hiring in 2013

  1. #191
    Engineer

    RabidAlpaca's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    American in Europe
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:30 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    14,584

    Re: Health care law may mean less hiring in 2013

    Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    Yes, I would.

    I've spent a lot of the last 19 years in Costa Rica and they have both a private system and public. I've been in both.

    The public system treats the people like animals, eight to a room in the hospital I was in, with obviously poorly trained staff. I was able to get out of there and cross the street to a private clinic and everything was first class. Because I was not insured the rates for both were the same which was roughly $100 per day at that time. In the private hospital I had a large room to myself, a bed for overnight guests, a big screen TV, two nurses on call and doctors who were very professional. There was simply no comparison.

    I save money by not paying insurance for my employees because it is just too expensive for what you get, so i pay for the private healthcare instead whenever they need it, including the birth of my housekeepers son. They are treated first class. I have too much respect to put them in public care facilities.
    Yeah, I don't know much about costa rica, but their public system sounds awful. In Germany, there are only a few major differences between the public and private system.

    In the public system, you usually share a room with 1 other person (not more). A lot of the times though there isn't anybody there, just an empty bed. In the private system, your costs may be less when you're young (which lures a lot of people into it), but the costs go up rapidly the older you get. When you opt-out of the public system in Germany it's almost impossible to get back in. The public system will never be insolvent, and will always cover any of your illnesses.

    There has been a rare case where we've been denied coverage for something cosmetic or trivial, but we've always been given the opportunity to pay out of pocket if we wanted, and usually the cost of everything is a tiny, tiny fraction of what it would be in the states.
    Quote Originally Posted by LowDown View Post
    I've got to say that it is shadenfreudalicious to see the rich and famous fucquewads on the coast suffering from the fires.

  2. #192
    Engineer

    RabidAlpaca's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    American in Europe
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:30 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    14,584

    Re: Health care law may mean less hiring in 2013

    Quote Originally Posted by Spriggs05 View Post
    Same sort of thing in Britain, however most people opt out due to the S*** standard.
    BBC News - Morecambe Bay trust failings prompts watchdog criticism
    The public system has to be good for people to decide to stay. Here in Germany it's absolutely stellar. I will stay on it for the rest of my life, because it's unbelievably comforting to know that no matter what happens, even if I'm sucking dick for crack in dark alleys I'll at least be able to get good medical coverage.

    And I have a rare genetic condition that gives me a 15% chance of getting kidney cancer at some point in my life, so it's definitely safer to stay with full coverage.
    Quote Originally Posted by LowDown View Post
    I've got to say that it is shadenfreudalicious to see the rich and famous fucquewads on the coast suffering from the fires.

  3. #193
    Anarcho Facist
    Spriggs05's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    UK
    Last Seen
    07-10-16 @ 10:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,428

    Re: Health care law may mean less hiring in 2013

    Quote Originally Posted by RabidAlpaca View Post
    The public system has to be good for people to decide to stay. Here in Germany it's absolutely stellar. I will stay on it for the rest of my life, because it's unbelievably comforting to know that no matter what happens, even if I'm sucking dick for crack in dark alleys I'll at least be able to get good medical coverage.

    And I have a rare genetic condition that gives me a 15% chance of getting kidney cancer at some point in my life, so it's definitely safer to stay with full coverage.
    The Germans probably run it like they run their cars. Germans apply engineering logic to Everything. Therefore Everything is efficiant
    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    Freedom cannot be brought by foreigners with a gun.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jetboogieman View Post
    The idiots on this board that fully take the republican or democrat side and think their party is the harbingers of truth and justice and the other, evil scum who are ruining the country. When you realize they're both the latter, you have reached enlightenment.

  4. #194
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Last Seen
    09-24-17 @ 04:38 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    29,261

    Re: Health care law may mean less hiring in 2013

    Quote Originally Posted by RabidAlpaca View Post
    The public system has to be good for people to decide to stay. Here in Germany it's absolutely stellar. I will stay on it for the rest of my life, because it's unbelievably comforting to know that no matter what happens, even if I'm sucking dick for crack in dark alleys I'll at least be able to get good medical coverage.

    And I have a rare genetic condition that gives me a 15% chance of getting kidney cancer at some point in my life, so it's definitely safer to stay with full coverage.
    Here in the US I'm considered disabled because of a rare congenital heart defect. With out disability (government insurance) I would most likely be dead. Also I do require constant health care because of this condition.

  5. #195
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: Health care law may mean less hiring in 2013

    Quote Originally Posted by RabidAlpaca View Post
    Yeah, I don't know much about costa rica, but their public system sounds awful. In Germany, there are only a few major differences between the public and private system.

    In the public system, you usually share a room with 1 other person (not more). A lot of the times though there isn't anybody there, just an empty bed. In the private system, your costs may be less when you're young (which lures a lot of people into it), but the costs go up rapidly the older you get. When you opt-out of the public system in Germany it's almost impossible to get back in. The public system will never be insolvent, and will always cover any of your illnesses.

    There has been a rare case where we've been denied coverage for something cosmetic or trivial, but we've always been given the opportunity to pay out of pocket if we wanted, and usually the cost of everything is a tiny, tiny fraction of what it would be in the states.
    There are cultural differences in Costa Rica, and much of Latin America, where wroking class people and below tend not to complain and also tend to accept what is given. Luckily, in recent years, the people have found their voice and things are changing for the better. While complaining about things may get us down it can get very frustrating when we can't. Complaining is what they've learned from 'the Gringos' and I believe they appreciate it. Things would never improve otherwise.

  6. #196
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Health care law may mean less hiring in 2013

    Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    Well it's not the only factor, of course, but one that should have been given some thought. If we can start from that premise then perhaps a more workable and less unwieldy and expensive solution looked at.
    On the contrary, the other issue is what prevents it. Access. There is no reasonable way to handle those who can't really afford it, or those to which they MIT afford it, but be seriously burdened by it. It is not something that can be merely done without, at least not for the overall health and good for the community.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  7. #197
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: Health care law may mean less hiring in 2013

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    On the contrary, the other issue is what prevents it. Access. There is no reasonable way to handle those who can't really afford it, or those to which they MIT afford it, but be seriously burdened by it. It is not something that can be merely done without, at least not for the overall health and good for the community.
    There are many kinds of health care systems in the world but, to my knowledge, the American system, whatever it may be, is the only one that was created in secret and passed without anyone understanding what was in it.

    This is ideological, based on whims, not one based on anything that has stood up to any public scrutiny.

  8. #198
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Health care law may mean less hiring in 2013

    Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    There are many kinds of health care systems in the world but, to my knowledge, the American system, whatever it may be, is the only one that was created in secret and passed without anyone understanding what was in it.

    This is ideological, based on whims, not one based on anything that has stood up to any public scrutiny.
    Not sure what you're trying to say here.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  9. #199
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: Health care law may mean less hiring in 2013

    Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    There are many kinds of health care systems in the world but, to my knowledge, the American system, whatever it may be, is the only one that was created in secret and passed without anyone understanding what was in it.

    This is ideological, based on whims, not one based on anything that has stood up to any public scrutiny.
    Suddenly, the right doesn't like it when health care bills are passed before everyone has a chance to read it. Funny how that wasn't a problem when the repubs passed the bill that created Medicare D
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  10. #200
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,322

    Re: Health care law may mean less hiring in 2013

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    Suddenly, the right doesn't like it when health care bills are passed before everyone has a chance to read it. Funny how that wasn't a problem when the repubs passed the bill that created Medicare D

    Ok, let me get this straight...So you are implying that because the Medicare part D bill was passed through circumstances that you didn't like, or think was appropriate, then that makes it ok to ram through legislation that you like? What kind of thinking is that?
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

Page 20 of 21 FirstFirst ... 1018192021 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •