“We do not believe any group of men adequate enough or wise enough to operate without scrutiny or without criticism. We know that the only way to avoid error is to detect it, that the only way to detect it is to be free to inquire. We know that in secrecy error undetected will flourish and subvert”. – J Robert Oppenheimer.
I live in Canada.
So unfortunately for me only members of the Canadian Communist Party get vaccinated.
it's also hitting Canada hard :
Thousands of Canadians struck by aggressive strain of flu virus | CTV News
my job encouraged people to get the shot, and provided it free of charge, but i would have paid for it. if you're not allergic to eggs, my advice is to get the shot.
and as i always add to these threads, i had severe respiratory problems as an infant which left me seriously at risk of infection as a kid. my parents were smart and got me the shot every year, or i likely wouldn't be here to type this message. my grandfather's sister passed away in the 1918 epidemic, and it's still considered a family tragedy. i am very grateful to have the option of the vaccine.
No offense to all those proclaiming how great the flu shot is but I am required to get the flu shot every year. I got mine in October. In late November, early December, one of my sons got the flu, then my other one got it, then I got it. The flu shot doesn't prevent a person from getting the flu nearly as well as some like to proclaim. It may help some and some of the time. But I have had the flu shot for the last 14 years each year and have gotten sick at least 3 times in the last 6 years alone. I didn't have the flu shot growing up, and can only remember getting sick 2 or three times in my childhood.
I don't have a real problem with vaccines. I just think people make much too big of a deal out of them.
"A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt
Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.
here's real-time data (updated weekly.) has some data on specific strains that are circulating :
CDC - Seasonal Influenza (Flu) - Situation Update: Summary of Weekly FluViewInfluenza A (H3N2), 2009 influenza A (H1N1), and influenza B viruses have all been identified in the U.S. this season. During the week of December 23-29, 2,346 of the 2,961 influenza positive tests reported to CDC were influenza A and 615 were influenza B viruses. Of the 1,234 influenza A viruses that were subtyped, 98% were H3 viruses and 2% were 2009 H1N1 viruses.
Since October 1, 2012, CDC has antigenically characterized 413 influenza viruses, including 17 2009 influenza A (H1N1) viruses, 281 influenza A (H3N2) viruses and 115 influenza B viruses.
All 17 of the 2009 influenza A (H1N1) viruses were characterized as A/California/7/2009-like. This is the influenza A (H1N1) component of the Northern Hemisphere vaccine for the 2012-2013 season.
Of the 281 influenza A (H3N2) viruses, 279 (99%) were characterized as A/Victoria/361/2011-like. This is the influenza A (H3N2) component of the Northern Hemisphere influenza vaccine for the 2012-2013 season.
Approximately 69% of the 115 influenza B viruses belonged to the B/Yamagata lineage of viruses, and were characterized as B/Wisconsin/1/2010-like, the influenza B component for the 2012-2013 Northern Hemisphere influenza vaccine. The remaining 31% of the tested influenza B viruses belonged to the B/Victoria lineage of viruses.
Since October 1, 2012, CDC has tested 39 2009 influenza A (H1N1), 526 influenza A (H3N2), and 226 influenza B virus isolates for resistance to neuraminidase inhibitors this season. The tested viruses showed susceptibility to the antiviral drugs oseltamivir and zanamivir. High levels of resistance to the adamantanes (amantadine and rimantadine) persist among 2009 influenza A (H1N1) and A (H3N2) viruses. Adamantanes are not effective against influenza B viruses.
A couple of doses of Alka Seltzer cold and flu drink has taken care of mine. Every time I get the vaccination, I get a bad case of the flue! "(
Father Serra's Legacy - novels about the history of the California missions