Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 16

Thread: US troops arrive in Turkey to man Patriot missiles

  1. #1
    Haters gon' hate
    MarineTpartier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Last Seen
    01-04-16 @ 04:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    5,586
    Blog Entries
    8

    US troops arrive in Turkey to man Patriot missiles

    Wow, more globe trotting for us. What the heck are we doing? Isn't there another UN country that can do this crap? Germany and the Netherlands manned up. How about the friggin French, Spaniards, or someone else do something? How about Palestine? They wanted in so bad. Time to pay up.
    US troops arrive in Turkey to man Patriot missiles | Fox News
    “Mr. Speaker, I once again find myself compelled to vote against the annual budget resolution for a very simple reason: it makes government bigger.” ― Ron Paul
    Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty. – Thomas Jefferson

  2. #2
    Sage
    poweRob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:41 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    35,099

    Re: US troops arrive in Turkey to man Patriot missiles

    Quote Originally Posted by MarineTpartier View Post
    Wow, more globe trotting for us. What the heck are we doing? Isn't there another UN country that can do this crap? Germany and the Netherlands manned up. How about the friggin French, Spaniards, or someone else do something? How about Palestine? They wanted in so bad. Time to pay up.
    US troops arrive in Turkey to man Patriot missiles | Fox News

    THis was approved a while back but I just saw on the news that they arrived. I fully believe Turkey is a strong ally we should work to strengthen ties with, because I think they are the key to leading moderation and therefore peace through the rest of the M.E... but your right. Really? more troops all over the place? I think it's just a show of force to scare Syria but these things can often lead to far more than just a show.

    I saw Barney Frank today on Joe Scarborough and they were talking about cutting back spending and I like the way he put it when he said (paraphrazing) "I think we should stop wasting money protecting Europe from Stalin."
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    The sad fact is that having a pedophile win is better than having a Democrat in office. I'm all for a solution where a Republican gets in that isn't Moore.

  3. #3
    Sage
    AliHajiSheik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:50 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,387

    US troops arrive in Turkey to man Patriot missiles

    There are about 75,000 military personnel in Europe so naturally Barney goes to hyperbole. Manning defensive missile batteries is hardly the worst use of troops.
    People in Dubai don't like the Flintstones but people in Abu Dhabi do

  4. #4
    versus the world
    Surtr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    The greatest planet in the world.
    Last Seen
    06-10-14 @ 03:54 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    7,017

    Re: US troops arrive in Turkey to man Patriot missiles

    Quote Originally Posted by MarineTpartier View Post
    Wow, more globe trotting for us. What the heck are we doing? Isn't there another UN country that can do this crap? Germany and the Netherlands manned up. How about the friggin French, Spaniards, or someone else do something? How about Palestine? They wanted in so bad. Time to pay up.
    US troops arrive in Turkey to man Patriot missiles | Fox News
    It's pretty ridiculous. I would like to see the other UN/NATO nations actually get more involved in overseas defense, and see us stop volunteering so much for everything. We already sell weapons like the Patriot missile, why not just sell them to the Turks, and train them how to use them?
    I love the NSA. It's like having a secret fan-base you will never see, but they're there, watching everything you write and it makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside knowing that I may be some person's only form of unconstitutional entertainment one night.

  5. #5
    Sage
    poweRob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:41 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    35,099

    Re: US troops arrive in Turkey to man Patriot missiles

    Quote Originally Posted by AliHajiSheik View Post
    There are about 75,000 military personnel in Europe so naturally Barney goes to hyperbole. Manning defensive missile batteries is hardly the worst use of troops.
    His comment wasn't in response to the patriot missle compound in turkey. It was in response to wasteful spending. And regardless of total numbers which is around 80,000 in Europe, bases are not cheap. Not to mention if those bases were on our soil then that money going into those bases would more often get spent in our economy rather than Germany's.

    *edit ...

    According to this site, there are 268 bases in Germany alone.

    *re-edit...

    Also from that site:

    One part of the massive Ramstein airbase near Landstuhl, Germany, has an estimated value of $3.3 billion.

    A billion here, a billion there... pretty soon we're talking about real money.
    Last edited by poweRob; 01-04-13 at 09:48 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    The sad fact is that having a pedophile win is better than having a Democrat in office. I'm all for a solution where a Republican gets in that isn't Moore.

  6. #6
    Sage
    AliHajiSheik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:50 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,387

    US troops arrive in Turkey to man Patriot missiles

    Quote Originally Posted by poweRob View Post
    His comment wasn't in response to the patriot missle compound in turkey. It was in response to wasteful spending. And regardless of total numbers which is around 80,000 in Europe, bases are not cheap. Not to mention if those bases were on our soil then that money going into those bases would more often get spent in our economy rather than Germany's.

    *edit ...

    According to this site, there are 268 bases in Germany alone.
    As I said, Barney's hyperbole. I doubt the base count numbers in your site because there isn't a definition of what a base is considered. Also it is handy to have some bases for forward staging since it takes a long time to fly from the US than from a place like Germany.

    To drop from 1/2 million combat troops against Stalin against the 75,000 total personnel now qualifies as hyperbole to me.
    People in Dubai don't like the Flintstones but people in Abu Dhabi do

  7. #7
    Sage
    PeteEU's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Denmark
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 02:54 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,090

    Re: US troops arrive in Turkey to man Patriot missiles

    Quote Originally Posted by MarineTpartier View Post
    Wow, more globe trotting for us. What the heck are we doing? Isn't there another UN country that can do this crap? Germany and the Netherlands manned up. How about the friggin French, Spaniards, or someone else do something? How about Palestine? They wanted in so bad. Time to pay up.
    US troops arrive in Turkey to man Patriot missiles | Fox News

    Err first off it has nothing what so ever to do with the UN.

    Secondly who says that the French or Spaniards have a patriot battery to send?

    You do realize that the US, Germany and the Dutch sent men in conjunction with the sending of patriot missile batteries... to defend Turkey, a NATO member.
    PeteEU

  8. #8
    Sage
    PeteEU's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Denmark
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 02:54 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,090

    Re: US troops arrive in Turkey to man Patriot missiles

    Quote Originally Posted by poweRob View Post
    His comment wasn't in response to the patriot missle compound in turkey. It was in response to wasteful spending. And regardless of total numbers which is around 80,000 in Europe, bases are not cheap. Not to mention if those bases were on our soil then that money going into those bases would more often get spent in our economy rather than Germany's.

    *edit ...

    According to this site, there are 268 bases in Germany alone.

    *re-edit...

    Also from that site:

    One part of the massive Ramstein airbase near Landstuhl, Germany, has an estimated value of $3.3 billion.

    A billion here, a billion there... pretty soon we're talking about real money.
    Some things that you need to take into account.

    1) The bases are on free land and get free or near free utilities. And considering anything American wastes energy and resources then that is a huge cost saver for the US military and a cost burden for the local government.
    2) The German military bases.. many, if not most.. on the list are closing over the next 2 years.
    3) Ramstien is a key US military base and it wont close. It is basically the reason you dont have more military casualties in Iraq and Afghanistan. They get flown here first for treatment.

    So the actual "cost" is no where near as high as many in America think.
    PeteEU

  9. #9
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:07 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    64,063

    Re: US troops arrive in Turkey to man Patriot missiles

    Quote Originally Posted by PeteEU View Post
    Some things that you need to take into account.

    1) The bases are on free land and get free or near free utilities. And considering anything American wastes energy and resources then that is a huge cost saver for the US military and a cost burden for the local government.
    2) The German military bases.. many, if not most.. on the list are closing over the next 2 years.
    3) Ramstien is a key US military base and it wont close. It is basically the reason you dont have more military casualties in Iraq and Afghanistan. They get flown here first for treatment.

    So the actual "cost" is no where near as high as many in America think.
    Cost is a debatable term and one that completely sails over your head...
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have pooped in public, even in public neighborhoods.
    Quote Originally Posted by OldFatGuy View Post
    Usually a gag for wise mouthed insulting little girls. Then some good nylon rope so I can tie them up, toss them in the trunk of my car and forget about them.

  10. #10
    Engineer

    RabidAlpaca's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    American in Europe
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:30 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    14,587

    Re: US troops arrive in Turkey to man Patriot missiles

    Quote Originally Posted by poweRob View Post
    His comment wasn't in response to the patriot missle compound in turkey. It was in response to wasteful spending. And regardless of total numbers which is around 80,000 in Europe, bases are not cheap. Not to mention if those bases were on our soil then that money going into those bases would more often get spent in our economy rather than Germany's.

    *edit ...

    According to this site, there are 268 bases in Germany alone.

    *re-edit...

    Also from that site:

    One part of the massive Ramstein airbase near Landstuhl, Germany, has an estimated value of $3.3 billion.

    A billion here, a billion there... pretty soon we're talking about real money.
    Keeping in mind that I'm adamantly anti-war and pro-spending cuts, Ramstein is unbelievably important for us. I've been through there several times, and many of my friends have been MEDEVAC'd through there. It's really not that much for the strategic importance it provides us. It is our single biggest air base in europe.
    Quote Originally Posted by LowDown View Post
    I've got to say that it is shadenfreudalicious to see the rich and famous fucquewads on the coast suffering from the fires.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •