Page 20 of 28 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast
Results 191 to 200 of 276

Thread: Tom DeLay Sentenced To 3 Years In Prison

  1. #191
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 03:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,272

    Re: Tom DeLay Sentenced To 3 Years In Prison

    Quote Originally Posted by Dittohead not! View Post
    Of course. I'm not advocating any departure from the principle of innocent until proven guilty. Punishment follows conviction, not accusation.



    Spending time locked up is not going to do anything to change their mindset. Learning a bit about hard work and the value of money just might, however.
    Well, I feel we are now proceeding in a circle....So with that we will just have to agree to disagree....It's a hypothetical anyway.
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  2. #192
    Sage
    Dittohead not!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The Golden State
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    41,516

    Re: Tom DeLay Sentenced To 3 Years In Prison

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    Well, I feel we are now proceeding in a circle....So with that we will just have to agree to disagree....It's a hypothetical anyway.
    Yes, it is. It's not like we're going to change the mindset that the only possible punishment for wrongdoers is to be locked up in prison, not even when maintaining prisons gets so expensive that we can no longer afford it... wait, that has already happened!
    "Donald Trump is a phony, a fraud... [he's] playing the American public for suckers." Mitt Romney

  3. #193
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 03:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,272

    Re: Tom DeLay Sentenced To 3 Years In Prison

    Quote Originally Posted by Dittohead not! View Post
    Yes, it is. It's not like we're going to change the mindset that the only possible punishment for wrongdoers is to be locked up in prison, not even when maintaining prisons gets so expensive that we can no longer afford it... wait, that has already happened!

    Yeah, we can't afford the prison system, but we can afford UHC, Industry bailouts, throwing money down a black hole of "green energy", entitlement expansion, and failed stimulus projects....Ok.....
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  4. #194
    Sage
    Dittohead not!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The Golden State
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    41,516

    Re: Tom DeLay Sentenced To 3 Years In Prison

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    Yeah, we can't afford the prison system, but we can afford UHC, Industry bailouts, throwing money down a black hole of "green energy", entitlement expansion, and failed stimulus projects....Ok.....
    I'm not sure we can afford any of that. I am sure that we can't afford the hodge podge health care system we have now, and that it is the most expensive in the world by a wide margin.
    "Donald Trump is a phony, a fraud... [he's] playing the American public for suckers." Mitt Romney

  5. #195
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 03:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,272

    Re: Tom DeLay Sentenced To 3 Years In Prison

    Quote Originally Posted by Dittohead not! View Post
    I'm not sure we can afford any of that. I am sure that we can't afford the hodge podge health care system we have now, and that it is the most expensive in the world by a wide margin.
    Well, congrats...I think everyone in the HC system now knows that it is broken....But you are now changing the topic....You said we can't afford the prison system, and I pointed out waste in our federal spending of many things we can't afford but do. I guess all I am saying is before we start remodeling the kitchen, can we finish the bathroom that is gutted?
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  6. #196
    Sage
    Dittohead not!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The Golden State
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    41,516

    Re: Tom DeLay Sentenced To 3 Years In Prison

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    Well, congrats...I think everyone in the HC system now knows that it is broken....But you are now changing the topic....You said we can't afford the prison system, and I pointed out waste in our federal spending of many things we can't afford but do. I guess all I am saying is before we start remodeling the kitchen, can we finish the bathroom that is gutted?
    Having the most expensive prison system in the world doesn't mean we should also throw money away in other ways as well. That is the sort of thinking that has led to a national debt that is more or less the same as one year's GDP.

    That "bathroom that is already gutted" is certainly a higher priority than taking on a new remodeling project we can't afford. So, what do you consider the bathroom project? What is the high priority that can't be cut?
    "Donald Trump is a phony, a fraud... [he's] playing the American public for suckers." Mitt Romney

  7. #197
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 03:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,272

    Re: Tom DeLay Sentenced To 3 Years In Prison

    Quote Originally Posted by Dittohead not! View Post
    Having the most expensive prison system in the world doesn't mean we should also throw money away in other ways as well. That is the sort of thinking that has led to a national debt that is more or less the same as one year's GDP.

    That "bathroom that is already gutted" is certainly a higher priority than taking on a new remodeling project we can't afford. So, what do you consider the bathroom project? What is the high priority that can't be cut?

    I would say at this point, as backed up by Pinetta, (no conservative) would be defense.....We are in a time in the world that only a nation in decline would consider downgrading our defense.
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  8. #198
    Sage
    Dittohead not!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The Golden State
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    41,516

    Re: Tom DeLay Sentenced To 3 Years In Prison

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    I would say at this point, as backed up by Pinetta, (no conservative) would be defense.....We are in a time in the world that only a nation in decline would consider downgrading our defense.
    Couldn't it be streamlined a bit, though? The second place military spender is China, and we outspend them by a factor of six or seven. It seems to me we're still fighting the cold war in a world that needs defense against small rogue states and rag tag terrorist groups. The Soviet Union is history.
    "Donald Trump is a phony, a fraud... [he's] playing the American public for suckers." Mitt Romney

  9. #199
    Student jakiejakester's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Soho, NYC
    Last Seen
    09-30-17 @ 07:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    263

    Re: Tom DeLay Sentenced To 3 Years In Prison

    Quote Originally Posted by Hicup View Post

    I am at a point now where we need the military to take over, relieve everyone of their duties, hold several consitutitonal convention-referendums, and tighten up the langauge in the constitution holding our representatives to a standard we all hold ourselves to. The list that needs to be addressed is vast and long, but we could put them all down on a ballot, and ask everyone to show up and tell us how they feel. Measures that gain a 60% majority are sent to the states to ratify. Among them would be specific language that severely punishes corruption, allows for a smart and fair process for elections, and campaign spending madness and the list goes on, and on.

    Of course that kind of talk is seens as extreme, and I can appreciate where some might think that it is so, however, how can we ever expect the law makers to police themselves when every opportunity they've had to do so is ignored? Hell IMO even the SCOTUS needs term limits, if nothing else than to reflect current philosophical viewpoints consistent with newer understandings. I'm not suggesting a Coup in any real sense, but if someone has a better idea of how to fix our nation and it's political endemic corrupt structure, I'm all ears.


    Tim-
    Wow Tim it's not everyday that I read a post calling for the a military junta in the US by someone and that someone really believes that is the answer! Extreme is not nearly a strong enough word to describe your "suggestion."

    It's sad when people who called themselves "Americans" propose and support the most UN-AMERICAN ideas, i.e. the military overthrowing the democratically elected government of the United States. Fortunately the concept of military rule that would oust our current elected officials is so absurd, so impossible that it is nothing anyone should ever fear. I find it fascinating reading posts that proclaim such concepts.
    “The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” ― Neil deGrasse Tyson

  10. #200
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 03:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,272

    Re: Tom DeLay Sentenced To 3 Years In Prison

    Quote Originally Posted by Dittohead not! View Post
    Couldn't it be streamlined a bit, though? The second place military spender is China, and we outspend them by a factor of six or seven. It seems to me we're still fighting the cold war in a world that needs defense against small rogue states and rag tag terrorist groups. The Soviet Union is history.
    Well, if you ask Panetta he says that he just went through cutting some $700 Billion from the budget, and is constantly looking for things he can cut out....But when you have the current SecDef appointed by a demo, and a demo himself saying that that's it, anymore will hurt readiness, I think you have to listen.
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

Page 20 of 28 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •