Page 17 of 34 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast
Results 161 to 170 of 337

Thread: Job growth cools slightly, recovery grinds on [W:225]

  1. #161
    I'm not-low all the time
    Kushinator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    West Loop
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:09 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    16,254

    re: Job growth cools slightly, recovery grinds on [W:225]

    Quote Originally Posted by phattonez View Post
    A causes B.


    C and D are the same.
    Say's law is bunk.
    It is not very unreasonable that the rich should contribute to the public expense, not only in proportion to their revenue, but something more than in that proportion.
    "Wealth of Nations," Book V, Chapter II, Part II, Article I, pg.911

  2. #162
    I'm not-low all the time
    Kushinator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    West Loop
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:09 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    16,254

    re: Job growth cools slightly, recovery grinds on [W:225]

    Quote Originally Posted by phattonez View Post
    And why is construction hit hardest in all recessions?
    Financing!
    It is not very unreasonable that the rich should contribute to the public expense, not only in proportion to their revenue, but something more than in that proportion.
    "Wealth of Nations," Book V, Chapter II, Part II, Article I, pg.911

  3. #163
    Guru
    pinqy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    4,369

    re: Job growth cools slightly, recovery grinds on [W:225]

    Quote Originally Posted by phattonez View Post
    What's the fundamental change, then? You say age?
    No, I didn't say age. Any particular reason you're trying to put words in my mouth?
    Explain why unemployment among 20-24 year olds is at 13.7%.
    Mostly education and skill. I'd have to do some looking to find out for sure.
    Therefore, since the world has still/Much good, but much less good than ill,
    And while the sun and moon endure/Luck's a chance, but trouble's sure,
    I'd face it as a wise man would,/And train for ill and not for good.

  4. #164
    Traditionalist
    phattonez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last Seen
    12-05-17 @ 03:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    20,072

    re: Job growth cools slightly, recovery grinds on [W:225]

    Quote Originally Posted by Kushinator View Post
    Say's law is bunk.
    This has nothing to do with what I posted. Try again.

    Who shall ascend the hill of the Lord? And who shall stand in his holy place? He who has clean hands and a pure heart, who does not lift up his soul to what is false, and does not swear deceitfully. Psalm 24
    "True law is right reason in agreement with nature . . . Whoever is disobedient is fleeing from himself and denying his human nature [and] will suffer the worst penalties . . ." - Cicero

  5. #165
    Traditionalist
    phattonez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last Seen
    12-05-17 @ 03:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    20,072

    re: Job growth cools slightly, recovery grinds on [W:225]

    Quote Originally Posted by pinqy View Post
    No, I didn't say age. Any particular reason you're trying to put words in my mouth?
    I figured you would say retirees.

    Mostly education and skill. I'd have to do some looking to find out for sure.
    More kids are going to college than ever before.

    Who shall ascend the hill of the Lord? And who shall stand in his holy place? He who has clean hands and a pure heart, who does not lift up his soul to what is false, and does not swear deceitfully. Psalm 24
    "True law is right reason in agreement with nature . . . Whoever is disobedient is fleeing from himself and denying his human nature [and] will suffer the worst penalties . . ." - Cicero

  6. #166
    Traditionalist
    phattonez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last Seen
    12-05-17 @ 03:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    20,072

    re: Job growth cools slightly, recovery grinds on [W:225]

    Quote Originally Posted by Kushinator View Post
    Financing!
    So lack of capital is a problem? Interesting.

    Who shall ascend the hill of the Lord? And who shall stand in his holy place? He who has clean hands and a pure heart, who does not lift up his soul to what is false, and does not swear deceitfully. Psalm 24
    "True law is right reason in agreement with nature . . . Whoever is disobedient is fleeing from himself and denying his human nature [and] will suffer the worst penalties . . ." - Cicero

  7. #167
    #NeverTrump
    a351's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Space Coast
    Last Seen
    09-09-17 @ 08:54 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    6,902

    re: Job growth cools slightly, recovery grinds on [W:225]

    Quote Originally Posted by Grim17 View Post
    That 4.5% decrease represents over 360 thousand unemployed people. When corrective policy is put into effect and/or a recession ends the percentage of eligible workers who are employed always increases in the years that follow as long as effective policy decisions are made. That's what a RECOVERY is all about.

    Just compare the Obama recovery to the previous 3 economic downturns, and you will see a stark contrast:


    Attachment 67140401
    Just for kicks, what meets the definition of "corrective policy?" Chances are you'll find a endless variety of responses. Also, your chart has labeled presumably the passage date of the ARRA as the starting point for Obama's "corrective policy", when in fact the vast majority of the funding didn't find it's way into circulation until later in said calendar year and spilling over into 2010. The recession also by all technical means ended in June of that same year, rendering your second blue line in the graphic out of place entirely.

    I'd say! Attempting to compare any of the 3 recessions above to the most recent event in terms of severity and structural destruction is a fools errand.

  8. #168
    I'm not-low all the time
    Kushinator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    West Loop
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:09 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    16,254

    re: Job growth cools slightly, recovery grinds on [W:225]

    Quote Originally Posted by phattonez View Post
    Arguably the fall in 1921 was much greater.
    Post war recession during a gold standard era was prone to such turbulence. It's like comparing a sand dune to mt. everest.
    It is not very unreasonable that the rich should contribute to the public expense, not only in proportion to their revenue, but something more than in that proportion.
    "Wealth of Nations," Book V, Chapter II, Part II, Article I, pg.911

  9. #169
    Villiage Idiot
    imagep's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Upstate SC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:49 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    23,581

    re: Job growth cools slightly, recovery grinds on [W:225]

    Quote Originally Posted by phattonez View Post
    ...
    The problem is not demand, since that doesn't explain why higher orders of production are hit harder than lower orders of production. The insufficient demand theory doesn't explain why different industries are hit differently.
    No, it may not explain why different industries are hit differently, thats largely due to the fact that demand cycles and increases and decreases for different products at different times for a large variety of different reasons.

    What it does explain is how things work in aggregate. When average per hour productivity increases faster than aggregate demand, then we have more unemployment. While increasing per hour productivity is a good thing overall, the particular combination of productivity increasing faster than demand is a bad thing, and terrible for those seeking jobs.

    The problem is simply demand not keeping up with productivity. Nothing more, nothing less. there may be many solutions, but I suspect that increasing demand would be the most satisfying for most.

  10. #170
    I'm not-low all the time
    Kushinator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    West Loop
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:09 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    16,254

    re: Job growth cools slightly, recovery grinds on [W:225]

    Quote Originally Posted by phattonez View Post
    So lack of capital is a problem? Interesting.
    No silly, lack of desire to finance when employment is at risk is a problem. Not to mention a drastic uptick in underwriting standards.
    It is not very unreasonable that the rich should contribute to the public expense, not only in proportion to their revenue, but something more than in that proportion.
    "Wealth of Nations," Book V, Chapter II, Part II, Article I, pg.911

Page 17 of 34 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •