Page 14 of 34 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast
Results 131 to 140 of 337

Thread: Job growth cools slightly, recovery grinds on [W:225]

  1. #131
    Traditionalist
    phattonez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last Seen
    12-05-17 @ 03:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    20,072

    re: Job growth cools slightly, recovery grinds on [W:225]

    Quote Originally Posted by imagep View Post
    Our government has people of all ideologies in it, if they were trying to distort facts in one direction or the other, then people in government who have alternative ideologies would be crying foul. Government agencies don't produce perfect reports, but generally I trust them more than sources that have obvious political or self serving motivations. I can't imagine why the government would tell us that we needed more or less welders than what they really expect we will need. There's no political motive for them to do that. They aren't in the welding or anti-welding business.
    All government employees are biased in favor of their existence.

    Who shall ascend the hill of the Lord? And who shall stand in his holy place? He who has clean hands and a pure heart, who does not lift up his soul to what is false, and does not swear deceitfully. Psalm 24
    "True law is right reason in agreement with nature . . . Whoever is disobedient is fleeing from himself and denying his human nature [and] will suffer the worst penalties . . ." - Cicero

  2. #132
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    re: Job growth cools slightly, recovery grinds on [W:225]

    Quote Originally Posted by Kushinator View Post
    You would have a point if they continually stated that skilled trades were highly demanded, but they do not (this trend began in 2008). Why don't you tell me what would be an acceptable source criteria and i will (just this once) provide one that meets your criteria.
    Skilled trades are in high demand in country's where they exploit their natural resources and create energy. Canada is desperate for tradesmen and is advertising internationally.

    Canada has opportunities for skilled American workers - Fox 2 News Headlines

  3. #133
    Professor

    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    North Dakota
    Last Seen
    09-02-17 @ 08:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    2,357

    re: Job growth cools slightly, recovery grinds on [W:225]

    Quote Originally Posted by phattonez View Post
    Also hit hard.

    Ya, everything was hit hard. But utilities were hit much less hard than say, residential construction, yet it is most likely 1000's of times more capital intensive.

  4. #134
    Traditionalist
    phattonez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last Seen
    12-05-17 @ 03:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    20,072

    re: Job growth cools slightly, recovery grinds on [W:225]

    Quote Originally Posted by Kushinator View Post
    Yep. It makes sense as well! People are less likely to spend money on real estate when the risk of losing your job increases rather dramatically. We are less likely hold back spending on retail purchases, you know... because they typically do not require financing in the tune of 3 times your yearly income to purchase. You are beginning to grasp at straws.
    If spending was the cause, then you would expect a fall in spending to precede the fall in construction employment. Yet take a look.



    They fall at the same time!

    Who shall ascend the hill of the Lord? And who shall stand in his holy place? He who has clean hands and a pure heart, who does not lift up his soul to what is false, and does not swear deceitfully. Psalm 24
    "True law is right reason in agreement with nature . . . Whoever is disobedient is fleeing from himself and denying his human nature [and] will suffer the worst penalties . . ." - Cicero

  5. #135
    Professor

    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    North Dakota
    Last Seen
    09-02-17 @ 08:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    2,357

    re: Job growth cools slightly, recovery grinds on [W:225]

    For perspective


  6. #136
    Villiage Idiot
    imagep's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Upstate SC
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    23,584

    re: Job growth cools slightly, recovery grinds on [W:225]

    Quote Originally Posted by phattonez View Post


    So much for that theory.
    That pretty much reflects what happend in my business during the recession. My first reaction was to hand onto my employees, because I hoped for a short recession. I blew through nearly all of my savings paying people to sit around. As I saw my savings dwindle, and also my expectations, I started cutting employees, and searching for ways to become more productive, and my sales/labor dollar increased.

    Now note that at the beginning of the recession, productivity per work hour was at about 107, and today it is at 116 or so. Thats nearly a 10% increase in productivity since the beginning of the recession. There should be no wonder why employment hasn't had a better recovery when on average we are producing 10% more in the same amount of time.

  7. #137
    Villiage Idiot
    imagep's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Upstate SC
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    23,584

    re: Job growth cools slightly, recovery grinds on [W:225]

    Quote Originally Posted by phattonez View Post
    You realize that construction employment fell before the recession started, right?
    So did home construction. And your point is?

  8. #138
    Villiage Idiot
    imagep's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Upstate SC
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    23,584

    re: Job growth cools slightly, recovery grinds on [W:225]

    Quote Originally Posted by phattonez View Post
    All government employees are biased in favor of their existence.
    Sure, but no government employees are in the business of producing welding equipment or hammers.

  9. #139
    Villiage Idiot
    imagep's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Upstate SC
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    23,584

    re: Job growth cools slightly, recovery grinds on [W:225]

    Quote Originally Posted by phattonez View Post
    If spending was the cause, then you would expect a fall in spending to precede the fall in construction employment. Yet take a look.



    They fall at the same time!
    Why would anyone expect a fall in construction spending before a fall in spending on construction employees? It's virtually the same thing, and yes, they should rise or fall at nearly exactly the same rate.

    Again, I think I am missing the point of this entire argument, maybe even the entire thread.

  10. #140
    Traditionalist
    phattonez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last Seen
    12-05-17 @ 03:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    20,072

    re: Job growth cools slightly, recovery grinds on [W:225]

    Quote Originally Posted by imagep View Post
    That pretty much reflects what happend in my business during the recession. My first reaction was to hand onto my employees, because I hoped for a short recession. I blew through nearly all of my savings paying people to sit around. As I saw my savings dwindle, and also my expectations, I started cutting employees, and searching for ways to become more productive, and my sales/labor dollar increased.

    Now note that at the beginning of the recession, productivity per work hour was at about 107, and today it is at 116 or so. Thats nearly a 10% increase in productivity since the beginning of the recession. There should be no wonder why employment hasn't had a better recovery when on average we are producing 10% more in the same amount of time.
    You have no correlation though. This is the same increase in productivity that we've had through the 2000s. What then is causing unemployment to remain so high?

    Who shall ascend the hill of the Lord? And who shall stand in his holy place? He who has clean hands and a pure heart, who does not lift up his soul to what is false, and does not swear deceitfully. Psalm 24
    "True law is right reason in agreement with nature . . . Whoever is disobedient is fleeing from himself and denying his human nature [and] will suffer the worst penalties . . ." - Cicero

Page 14 of 34 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •