Page 8 of 21 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 208

Thread: Renditions continue under Obama, despite due-process concerns

  1. #71
    Guru
    Diogenes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Last Seen
    10-11-13 @ 06:52 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,980

    Re: Renditions continue under Obama, despite due-process concerns

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Nick View Post
    I've always thought we should a) microchip them and have them lead us to their "camps" or b) just string them up.

    The microchipping route seems to be the most logical.
    That's a good thought.

    One of the more entertaining ideas I heard when the Afghan war started: Capture Mullah Omar, transport him to a carrier, give him a quick operation and shoot him up with the necessary hormones, then send him back to live under Taliban rule as a woman.
    "We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress & the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution, but overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution."
    - Abraham Lincoln

  2. #72
    Sage


    Thoreau72's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:41 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    20,276

    Re: Renditions continue under Obama, despite due-process concerns

    Quote Originally Posted by Diogenes View Post
    Get back to me after you have read the GC.
    Please note post #65 by Hard Truth.

    Keep in mind sir, please, that we are committing military aggression in Asia. That is WE ARE NOT engaged in a legitimate declared war. We ARE engaged in international criminal actions.

  3. #73
    Curmudgeon


    LowDown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Houston
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:25 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    11,552
    Blog Entries
    11

    Re: Renditions continue under Obama, despite due-process concerns

    Quote Originally Posted by iguanaman View Post
    Talk about pre 911 thinking. You actually believe that these terrorist groups do not plot against and try to kill US citizens?
    Not at all. Quite the opposite. But US prosecutors are not even alledging that these men were going to attack the US.

    Just one more way that the Obama administration is expanding executive powers. If Bush were doing this civil libertarians, the press, and the Democrats would be screaming bloody murder.

    "The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." --HL Mencken

  4. #74
    Guru
    Diogenes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Last Seen
    10-11-13 @ 06:52 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,980

    Re: Renditions continue under Obama, despite due-process concerns

    Quote Originally Posted by Henry David View Post
    Please note post #65 by Hard Truth.

    Keep in mind sir, please, that we are committing military aggression in Asia. That is WE ARE NOT engaged in a legitimate declared war. We ARE engaged in international criminal actions.
    It is true that we are not engaged in a war against a recognized government, which would require a declaration of war. We are employing our military forces to find and kill those who have committed heinous crimes against our people. I suggest you read The Savage Wars Of Peace by Max Boot to improve your historical perspective on this type of action.
    "We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress & the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution, but overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution."
    - Abraham Lincoln

  5. #75
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 03:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,272

    Re: Renditions continue under Obama, despite due-process concerns

    Quote Originally Posted by Henry David View Post
    Please note post #65 by Hard Truth.

    Keep in mind sir, please, that we are committing military aggression in Asia. That is WE ARE NOT engaged in a legitimate declared war. We ARE engaged in international criminal actions.

    "The Authorization for Use of Military Force [1] is a joint resolution passed by the United States Congress on September 14, 2001, authorizing the use of United States Armed Forces against those responsible for the attacks on September 11, 2001. The authorization granted the President the authority to use all "necessary and appropriate force" against those whom he determined "planned, authorized, committed or aided" the September 11th attacks, or who harbored said persons or groups. The AUMF was signed by President George W. Bush on September 18, 2001."


    Authorization for Use of Military Force Against Terrorists - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  6. #76
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: Renditions continue under Obama, despite due-process concerns

    Quote Originally Posted by Henry David View Post
    Please note post #65 by Hard Truth.

    Keep in mind sir, please, that we are committing military aggression in Asia. That is WE ARE NOT engaged in a legitimate declared war. We ARE engaged in international criminal actions.
    Who are we supposed to declare war against?

  7. #77
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Renditions continue under Obama, despite due-process concerns

    Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    Who are we supposed to declare war against?
    I think that is the point. There is no country that can be invaded and occupied that addresses our problem.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  8. #78
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Renditions continue under Obama, despite due-process concerns

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    "The Authorization for Use of Military Force [1] is a joint resolution passed by the United States Congress on September 14, 2001, authorizing the use of United States Armed Forces against those responsible for the attacks on September 11, 2001. The authorization granted the President the authority to use all "necessary and appropriate force" against those whom he determined "planned, authorized, committed or aided" the September 11th attacks, or who harbored said persons or groups. The AUMF was signed by President George W. Bush on September 18, 2001."


    Authorization for Use of Military Force Against Terrorists - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Just a note: that is not a declaration of war. Nor equal to one.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  9. #79
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Florida
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    23,361

    Re: Renditions continue under Obama, despite due-process concerns

    Quote Originally Posted by LowDown View Post
    Not at all. Quite the opposite. But US prosecutors are not even alledging that these men were going to attack the US.

    Just one more way that the Obama administration is expanding executive powers. If Bush were doing this civil libertarians, the press, and the Democrats would be screaming bloody murder.
    Bush sent 200,000 troops on a wild goose chase in hell. Over 4000 of them died, more than in 911.
    And over 150,000 Iraqis died also. What exactly was their crime again?
    That why Bush can't travel to many countries. They want to try him for "bloody murder".

  10. #80
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: Renditions continue under Obama, despite due-process concerns

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    I think that is the point. There is no country that can be invaded and occupied that addresses our problem.
    It is not a problem unless you make it one.

    Allowing terrorist groups to attack the US without consequence would certainly not work either, and it doesn't make sense that only one side should follow the Geneva Conventions.

    It might be better to declare war on any country which harbors terrorists, as George Bush intimated, if that is the choice of the people. But of course they would also have to follow through with any threats and actually attack any of those backward terrorist countries.

    This guy has the right attitude on how to respond to Iran, for example.

    BEST SPEECH OF 2012! (BILL WHITTLE) - YouTube

Page 8 of 21 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •