Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15

Thread: Portugal's Jan-Nov tax revenues fall 5.8 pct

  1. #1
    Curmudgeon


    LowDown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Houston
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 05:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    11,541
    Blog Entries
    11

    Portugal's Jan-Nov tax revenues fall 5.8 pct

    Portugal's Jan-Nov tax revenues fall 5.8 pct | Reuters

    Tax revenues have fallen despite a range of tax hikes this year due to the country's deep recession, prompting an easing of Lisbon's deficit targets for this year and next by the lenders from the European Union and the IMF.
    So they raised taxes only to see tax revenues fall? The Laffer Curve lives!

    You suppose Obama might learn something from ... naw, no way.

    "The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." --HL Mencken

  2. #2
    Sage
    poweRob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:48 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    34,855

    Re: Portugal's Jan-Nov tax revenues fall 5.8 pct

    Quote Originally Posted by LowDown View Post
    Portugal's Jan-Nov tax revenues fall 5.8 pct | Reuters



    So they raised taxes only to see tax revenues fall? The Laffer Curve lives!

    You suppose Obama might learn something from ... naw, no way.
    Interesting how you somehow are very positive that the decline in revenue is because of the tax hikes... not the huge recession mentioned.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    The sad fact is that having a pedophile win is better than having a Democrat in office. I'm all for a solution where a Republican gets in that isn't Moore.

  3. #3
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Last Seen
    09-18-16 @ 03:33 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    12,029

    Re: Portugal's Jan-Nov tax revenues fall 5.8 pct

    It's almost uncanny how conservatives seem compelled to compare the US, which the largest economy in the world, now growing at 3%, with some of the smallest economies in the world, hoping no doubt that nobody notices how silly the comparison is.

    By the way, Portugal followed the austerity route promoted by the Tea Party Occupied Congress. How'd that work out for Portugal (or the UK, or Greece, or Germany)?

    Now, which western economy followed the stimulus route and now has 3% growth? Come on, I know you can say it!

  4. #4
    Sage
    PeteEU's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Denmark
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 07:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,089

    Re: Portugal's Jan-Nov tax revenues fall 5.8 pct

    Quote Originally Posted by LowDown View Post
    Portugal's Jan-Nov tax revenues fall 5.8 pct | Reuters



    So they raised taxes only to see tax revenues fall? The Laffer Curve lives!

    You suppose Obama might learn something from ... naw, no way.
    Considering that the tax hikes were mandatory from the IMF and that the recession is caused in large part because of massive cuts in the public sector, and being a recession it means that tax income usually goes down... then well it aint a shocker.

    You American conservative types are funny when it comes to facts and figures... ignoring most of them to get a political notch.

    As for the laffer curve... nothing is proven or dis-proven with this information.
    PeteEU

  5. #5
    Curmudgeon


    LowDown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Houston
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 05:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    11,541
    Blog Entries
    11

    Re: Portugal's Jan-Nov tax revenues fall 5.8 pct

    Quote Originally Posted by poweRob View Post
    Interesting how you somehow are very positive that the decline in revenue is because of the tax hikes... not the huge recession mentioned.
    No doubt higher taxes didn't help the economy either.

    "The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." --HL Mencken

  6. #6
    Curmudgeon


    LowDown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Houston
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 05:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    11,541
    Blog Entries
    11

    Re: Portugal's Jan-Nov tax revenues fall 5.8 pct

    Quote Originally Posted by head of joaquin View Post
    It's almost uncanny how conservatives seem compelled to compare the US, which the largest economy in the world, now growing at 3%, with some of the smallest economies in the world, hoping no doubt that nobody notices how silly the comparison is.

    By the way, Portugal followed the austerity route promoted by the Tea Party Occupied Congress. How'd that work out for Portugal (or the UK, or Greece, or Germany)?

    Now, which western economy followed the stimulus route and now has 3% growth? Come on, I know you can say it!
    Dump a lot of borrowed money in the economy you're bound to get some growth for a while. Then comes the time to pay up.

    In the US we have very high deficit spending and hardly any growth even after almost a trillion in "stimulus". Why? Poor governance, excessive regulations, threats of higher taxes, scapegoating and demonizing the business community. All the money goes into the pockets of fatcat public sector unions who keep the looters in office. They are in the process of busting out the United States.

    "The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." --HL Mencken

  7. #7
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:57 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,741

    Re: Portugal's Jan-Nov tax revenues fall 5.8 pct

    Quote Originally Posted by LowDown View Post
    No doubt higher taxes didn't help the economy either.
    Yes, we know you didn't have any doubts. That was the point. Despite no actual evidence that the tax increase caused a decrease in revenue, you just assume these things.

    While the concept of the Laffer Curve may be vaguely resembling something in the vicinity of reality, it's a useless model. Tax revenue is a very complicated situation. There's no way to tell where you might be on that curve, and there's really no reason that multiple peaks cannot exist.
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  8. #8
    Sage
    poweRob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:48 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    34,855

    Re: Portugal's Jan-Nov tax revenues fall 5.8 pct

    Quote Originally Posted by LowDown View Post
    No doubt higher taxes didn't help the economy either.
    Because you say so?
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    The sad fact is that having a pedophile win is better than having a Democrat in office. I'm all for a solution where a Republican gets in that isn't Moore.

  9. #9
    Curmudgeon


    LowDown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Houston
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 05:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    11,541
    Blog Entries
    11

    Re: Portugal's Jan-Nov tax revenues fall 5.8 pct

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    Yes, we know you didn't have any doubts. That was the point. Despite no actual evidence that the tax increase caused a decrease in revenue, you just assume these things.

    While the concept of the Laffer Curve may be vaguely resembling something in the vicinity of reality, it's a useless model. Tax revenue is a very complicated situation. There's no way to tell where you might be on that curve, and there's really no reason that multiple peaks cannot exist.
    I can see that you're anxious to reject a theory without having adequate data to do so. Meanwhile, I merely point out one example that supports the theory.

    "The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." --HL Mencken

  10. #10
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:57 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,741

    Re: Portugal's Jan-Nov tax revenues fall 5.8 pct

    Quote Originally Posted by LowDown View Post
    I can see that you're anxious to reject a theory without having adequate data to do so. Meanwhile, I merely point out one example that supports the theory.
    You know absolutely nothing about the economic situation in Portugal. You don't have any data. You have one variable in an incredibly complex system.
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •