Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 79

Thread: 10 States to Boost Minimum Wage.....

  1. #61
    Demented Lycanthropist
    wolfman24's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    East Waboo USA
    Last Seen
    02-14-17 @ 01:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    5,058
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: 10 States to Boost Minimum Wage.....

    Quote Originally Posted by MMC View Post


    Nearly 1 million minimum-wage workers in 10 states will get a pay boost come New Year's Day.


    Workers in Rhode Island will see their paychecks grow the most -- by an average of $510 a year for the average worker, according to the National Employment Law Project, a nonprofit advocacy group. The state enacted a law in June raising its minimum wage 35 cents to $7.75 an hour.

    In nine other states -- Arizona, Colorado, Florida, Missouri, Montana, Ohio, Oregon, Vermont and Washington -- the minimum wage will jump between 10 and 15 cents an hour, translating to an extra $190 to $410 per year on average, according to NELP. The increases in these states are the result of state "indexing" laws that require automatic annual adjustments to keep pace with rising living costs.

    An estimated 855,000 workers will be directly affected by the wage changes, while another 140,000 are projected to beindirectly affected by the changes as employers readjust their pay scales to accommodate the new minimum,according to analysis by the Economic Policy Institute.

    The new hourly rates will range between $7.35 in Missouri and $9.19 in Washington state, which has the highest minimum wage in the nation.

    States must pay at least the same as the federal minimum wage, which has been set at $7.25 an hour since 2009 and is not indexed to inflation. That works out to an annual income of about $15,000-- thousands of dollars below the poverty level for a family of four.

    In 2013, 19 states and the District of Columbia will have rates above the federal level.

    10 states to boost minimum wage - Dec. 31, 2012

    Do you think this will make it easier to get a job or harder? 19 States above the Federal level. Thoughts?
    Good for them
    "Those who do not learn from history and condemned to relive it".

    "There are those who will debate the necessity of wilderness, I will not, either you know it in your bones or you are very very old". Aldo Leopold - Sand County Almanac

  2. #62
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,824

    Re: 10 States to Boost Minimum Wage.....

    Full-time work should always be livable at least at a basic level. If the "market" decides this isn't the case, the market is wrong. If someone's wage is not livable, they have to supplement it somehow because the only alternative is... well, not living. Being on the street, starving, etc. So they supplement it with our various social safety nets. Millions of people have full-time jobs and still collect TANF or SNAP. In effect, the taxpayers are subsidizing your ****ty company and its ****ty pay. Is that really free market economic?

    The other potential supplement is to resort to criminal activity.
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  3. #63
    User
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Seen
    11-08-13 @ 07:19 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    43

    Re: 10 States to Boost Minimum Wage.....

    The minimum wage needs to be raised. The reason we have so many people on food stamps and other government help is because wages are not going up with the cost of living. Raising it will make prices go up, but you're already paying those prices now through food stamps and other such programs. If conservatives were really for people helping themselves they should be for wages that allow people to do so. It's not possible to support your own self on minimum wage without help or working slave hours.

  4. #64
    Sage
    longview's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    14,360

    Re: 10 States to Boost Minimum Wage.....

    Quote Originally Posted by uhohhotdog View Post
    The minimum wage needs to be raised. The reason we have so many people on food stamps and other government help is because wages are not going up with the cost of living. Raising it will make prices go up, but you're already paying those prices now through food stamps and other such programs. If conservatives were really for people helping themselves they should be for wages that allow people to do so. It's not possible to support your own self on minimum wage without help or working slave hours.
    So you raise the minimum wage, The labor cost at the Grocery store, Gas station,
    apartments, ect.. all go up.
    The owners of these establishments, raise prices to cover the new cost.
    The higher costs eat up all the new dollars, the minimum wage worker earns.
    The worker may even be worse off, because he may creep into a tax bracket.
    Some small Business owners may not be able to cover the new cost, and have to let workers go.
    The path to improving one's self is raising above minimum wage.
    Simple things like showing up for work on time, and personal integrity,
    will make a person stand out enough to advance.

  5. #65
    User
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Seen
    11-08-13 @ 07:19 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    43

    Re: 10 States to Boost Minimum Wage.....

    Quote Originally Posted by longview View Post
    So you raise the minimum wage, The labor cost at the Grocery store, Gas station,
    apartments, ect.. all go up.
    The owners of these establishments, raise prices to cover the new cost.
    The higher costs eat up all the new dollars, the minimum wage worker earns.
    The worker may even be worse off, because he may creep into a tax bracket.
    Some small Business owners may not be able to cover the new cost, and have to let workers go.
    The path to improving one's self is raising above minimum wage.
    Simple things like showing up for work on time, and personal integrity,
    will make a person stand out enough to advance.
    You keep it indexed to inflation. Prices go up, wages go up to match it. There's not going to be a mass layoff. Employers are already working with bare bones staffing.

    And the path to "improving one's self" is an extremely crowded path. Those simple things are often overlooked and even abused by many employers. They take advantage of their good employees and then make that the new standard for everyone and now everyone has to work twice as hard for the same pay rate.

    One thing you'll notice in the real world is that there isn't necessarily a lack of jobs. There are a lack of decent paying jobs. I work at a place that has many vacancies that they can't fill because people just flat out refuse to work there for the pitiful wages that don't pay the bills. Now the capitalist philosophy says that they should raise wages to get people to work there, but reality says no. They make the people that are there work harder and longer until they find people desperate enough to work there. Now you say, well then if it's that bad then quit. But people can't just simply quit. They have to find a new job first to keep paying their bills which isn't easy when there are a lack of jobs and even when they do find a new one, often they end up back in this same situation. The few lucky ones find a good new place to work and that's great, but there just aren't enough of them for everyone. And there will always be people desperate enough to keep the place staffed just well enough to keep it running because this is the system we're running on. Keep the people desperate so they'll accept slave wages and keep the door revolving.

    If jobs payed a real wage you'd see a rapid decrease in unemployment.

  6. #66
    Sage
    AliHajiSheik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,385

    Re: 10 States to Boost Minimum Wage.....

    Some of these figures are way too low to live on. They should raise the minimum wage to $100/hour. Imagine how much happier everyone would be.

  7. #67
    Student
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Mississippi
    Last Seen
    07-30-14 @ 04:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    206

    Re: 10 States to Boost Minimum Wage.....

    Quote Originally Posted by uhohhotdog View Post
    You keep it indexed to inflation. Prices go up, wages go up to match it. There's not going to be a mass layoff. Employers are already working with bare bones staffing.

    And the path to "improving one's self" is an extremely crowded path. Those simple things are often overlooked and even abused by many employers. They take advantage of their good employees and then make that the new standard for everyone and now everyone has to work twice as hard for the same pay rate.

    One thing you'll notice in the real world is that there isn't necessarily a lack of jobs. There are a lack of decent paying jobs. I work at a place that has many vacancies that they can't fill because people just flat out refuse to work there for the pitiful wages that don't pay the bills. Now the capitalist philosophy says that they should raise wages to get people to work there, but reality says no. They make the people that are there work harder and longer until they find people desperate enough to work there. Now you say, well then if it's that bad then quit. But people can't just simply quit. They have to find a new job first to keep paying their bills which isn't easy when there are a lack of jobs and even when they do find a new one, often they end up back in this same situation. The few lucky ones find a good new place to work and that's great, but there just aren't enough of them for everyone. And there will always be people desperate enough to keep the place staffed just well enough to keep it running because this is the system we're running on. Keep the people desperate so they'll accept slave wages and keep the door revolving.

    If jobs payed a real wage you'd see a rapid decrease in unemployment.
    If the government didn't pay so well there would be a rapid decrease of unemployment as well. I know a lady that owns a small gas station outside of town that was told by a worker she hired that she wasn't about to work there anymore and put up with customers when she made more sitting at the house and quit after 2 days. When the Nissan plant opened there were 100s in the first few years that quit after the first or second day because they didn't want to work.

  8. #68
    Professor
    madman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    So. California
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    1,937

    Re: 10 States to Boost Minimum Wage.....

    Wow! look at all of those "conservative states" that are for an increase in M. wage!

  9. #69
    Professor
    madman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    So. California
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    1,937

    Re: 10 States to Boost Minimum Wage.....

    Quote Originally Posted by sawyerloggingon View Post
    Just going by what I see around here, it is anecdotal evidence. One thing I will say though is I don't see the quality of the min wage work force improving as the wage rises, it seems to be the same culls doing the same crappy jobs.
    Who are these "culls" that you speak of? Are you talking about those Mexicans?

    /sarcasm

  10. #70
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,824

    Re: 10 States to Boost Minimum Wage.....

    Quote Originally Posted by AliHajiSheik View Post
    Some of these figures are way too low to live on. They should raise the minimum wage to $100/hour. Imagine how much happier everyone would be.
    Yes, because anything proposed must be expanded to extremes. Kinda like how libertarians literally favor dissolution of the United States, because no government is the smallest government, right? It's just logically extending their beliefs, right?
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •