Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 172

Thread: Obama, Republicans reach deal on fiscal cliff; Senate vote expected tonight

  1. #31
    Sage
    lizzie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    between two worlds
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,581

    Re: Obama, Republicans reach deal on fiscal cliff; Senate vote expected tonight

    Quote Originally Posted by Whipsnade View Post
    Looks like we have a deal.

    By Lori Montgomery and Paul Kane, Updated: Monday, December 31, 8:01 PM



    Woohoo! Now, it looks like we can go on with the daily dog-and-pony show, and business as usual, while we continue to decline into more debt. Anyone up for bread and circuses? I know I'm feeling mighty optimistic.
    "God is the name by which I designate all things which cross my path violently and recklessly, all things which alter my plans and intentions, and change the course of my life, for better or for worse."
    -C G Jung

  2. #32
    Sage

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Huntsville, AL (USA)
    Last Seen
    06-15-18 @ 08:23 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    10,088

    Re: Obama, Republicans reach deal on fiscal cliff; Senate vote expected tonight

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    and for millions of retirees-what are they doing on dividend rates-money that is taxed TWICE
    Quite your belly aching! This so-called deficit deal was all about making a down-payment on the deficit. It's far from the grand bargain that should have been made. This wasn't about revising the tax code, but hopefully that's coming in the near future. Meanwhile, suck it up, man!

  3. #33
    Guru
    Republic Now!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Last Seen
    09-12-14 @ 10:40 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    2,671

    Re: Obama, Republicans reach deal on fiscal cliff; Senate vote expected tonight

    Quote Originally Posted by Objective Voice View Post
    The middle-class is already paying more in taxes as a ratio of their net income...have been for a very long time now (since the Reagan-era).

    Suck it up, TurtleDude. Time you guys start putting in on this economy same as the rest of us.
    Repeating the same lie over and over again doesn't suddenly make it true.
    One who makes himself a worm cannot complain when tread upon.

  4. #34
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    188,021

    Re: Obama, Republicans reach deal on fiscal cliff; Senate vote expected tonight

    Quote Originally Posted by Objective Voice View Post
    Quite your belly aching! This so-called deficit deal was all about making a down-payment on the deficit. It's far from the grand bargain that should have been made. This wasn't about revising the tax code, but hopefully that's coming in the near future. Meanwhile, suck it up, man!

    when you start paying as much for each dollar of "benefits" you get than you will be in a position to make such a stupid comment. Its time for people like you to start getting billed for all the crap you want from government rather than telling others to pay your tab

    I don't expect you to pay for me so why should I pay for you

  5. #35
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    188,021

    Re: Obama, Republicans reach deal on fiscal cliff; Senate vote expected tonight

    Quote Originally Posted by Republic Now! View Post
    Repeating the same lie over and over again doesn't suddenly make it true.
    its the mindset that gave us four more years of idiocy in the WH

  6. #36
    Sage

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Last Seen
    07-24-17 @ 11:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    5,878

    Re: Obama, Republicans reach deal on fiscal cliff; Senate vote expected tonight

    Quote Originally Posted by upsideguy View Post
    You are not going to solve the deficit in two weeks. The best way to solve the deficit is for the economy to improve; the worst thing that could happen to our deficit is for the economy to tank. Any decent deal will help the economy avoid recession and continue to drive forward. Hence, any decent deal will work towards deficit reduction.
    I’m having trouble with the bolded above. Say the annual GDP is $16t and a GOOD annual growth rate is 5%. This would equate into an annual GDP increase of $800b. Historic taxation rates have run around 18.5% REGARDLESS of the rates/deductions thus this ‘growth’ would equate to an annual revenue increase of $148b…our annual DEFICIT has been running north of $1t…this wouldn’t cover the latter Bush years when the DEFICIT was running around $400b.
    Last edited by Dickieboy; 12-31-12 at 10:38 PM.
    "The fact that we are here today to debate raising America's debt limit is a sign of leadership failure" - 2006 Senator Obama...leadership failure indeed!

  7. #37
    Guru
    Republic Now!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Last Seen
    09-12-14 @ 10:40 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    2,671

    Re: Obama, Republicans reach deal on fiscal cliff; Senate vote expected tonight

    Quote Originally Posted by Dickieboy View Post
    I’m having trouble with the bolded above. Say the annual GDP is $16t and a GOOD annual growth rate is 5%. This would equate into an annual GDP increase of $800b. Historic taxation rates have run around 18.5% REGARDLESS of the rates/deductions thus this ‘growth’ would equate to an annual revenue increase of $148b…our annual DEFICIT has been running north of $1t…this wouldn’t cover the latter years when the DEFICIT was running around $400b.
    Well, and spending rates increase with economic growth as well.
    One who makes himself a worm cannot complain when tread upon.

  8. #38
    Sage

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Huntsville, AL (USA)
    Last Seen
    06-15-18 @ 08:23 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    10,088

    Re: Obama, Republicans reach deal on fiscal cliff; Senate vote expected tonight

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    what BS-I pay many hundreds of dollars for each dollar of government service I use

    the middle class-often get more than they pay
    You mean the poor; I know plenty of middle-class wage earners who DON'T use federal entitlement programs but could easily qualify yet choose not to because they take personal responsiblity seriously. I'm one such individual. So, again I say "suck it up!" Deal with it! Stop being a corporate welfare moocher and do your part to strengthen the national economy.

  9. #39
    Dungeon Master
    Chicks dig the long ball
    azgreg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:07 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    15,312

    Re: Obama, Republicans reach deal on fiscal cliff; Senate vote expected tonight

    Quote Originally Posted by Republic Now! View Post
    Would you expect anything else at this point?
    Sadly.......no.

  10. #40
    Sage

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Huntsville, AL (USA)
    Last Seen
    06-15-18 @ 08:23 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    10,088

    Re: Obama, Republicans reach deal on fiscal cliff; Senate vote expected tonight

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    when you start paying as much for each dollar of "benefits" you get than you will be in a position to make such a stupid comment. Its time for people like you to start getting billed for all the crap you want from government rather than telling others to pay your tab

    I don't expect you to pay for me so why should I pay for you
    I don't use any federal entitlement program - not welfare, not Medicaid, not unemployment, I don't live in a HUD home, I pay my own cell phone bill and I have private health insurance. Try laying that guilt trip on somebody else.

Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •