Page 9 of 58 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast
Results 81 to 90 of 575

Thread: Atty: Hobby Lobby Won't Offer Morning-After Pill

  1. #81
    Sage
    Khayembii Communique's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Milwaukee, WI
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:30 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    7,887

    Re: Atty: Hobby Lobby Won't Offer Morning-After Pill

    By the way, the argument of the owner is that the morning after pill is an "abortion causing drug" which is wrong, so this entire discussion of "ethics" is irrelevant.
    "I do not claim that every incident in the history of empire can be explained in directly economic terms. Economic interests are filtered through a political process, policies are implemented by a complex state apparatus, and the whole system generates its own momentum."

  2. #82
    Sage
    poweRob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:21 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    35,030

    Re: Atty: Hobby Lobby Won't Offer Morning-After Pill

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    You first point is correct. Your second point is not. With your second point all you're doing is trying to force your opinion on others, which is also what you are saying you find unethical.
    How is she forcing her "opinion" of something NOT being medically unethical, any different than you forcing your "opinion" that it IS being medically unethical on others?
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    The sad fact is that having a pedophile win is better than having a Democrat in office. I'm all for a solution where a Republican gets in that isn't Moore.

  3. #83
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 02:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,107

    Re: Atty: Hobby Lobby Won't Offer Morning-After Pill

    Quote Originally Posted by danarhea View Post
    I have 2 statements to make here:

    1) Freedom of religion doesn't mean freedom to impose your religious views on others. Your freedom of religion stops where my own freedom of religion begins.
    I agree. For example, no one has the right to impose on Hobby Lobby the religious view that the morning after pill is morally acceptable, or force them to take part in what they perceive as evil, any more than we have the right to force Muslim grocers to carry and sell pork. Hobby Lobby, in turn, has no right to impose their religious views on anyone else, and has no right to stop their employees from going and getting birth control on their own.

    2) If Hobby Lobby wants to pay 1.3 million in fines per day, then by all means let them. It will help reduce our deficit a tiny bit. Thank you, Hobby Lobby, for volunteering to pay a little more.
    Fortunately the 7th Circuit Court of Appeals Disagrees.

  4. #84
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:05 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,413

    Re: Atty: Hobby Lobby Won't Offer Morning-After Pill

    Quote Originally Posted by poweRob View Post
    How is she forcing her "opinion" of something NOT being medically unethical, any different than you forcing your "opinion" that it IS being medically unethical on others?
    Where did I say in unequivocal terms, or in any way really, that I feel it is medically unethical? Assumption fail on your part.

    I was merely pointing out the fatal flaw in her definitively stating something as being undeniably true when it is in fact nothing more than her individual opinion, yet she portrayed it as undeniable fact when it is nothing of the sort.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  5. #85
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,274

    Re: Atty: Hobby Lobby Won't Offer Morning-After Pill

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    I agree. For example, no one has the right to impose on Hobby Lobby the religious view that the morning after pill is morally acceptable, or force them to take part in what they perceive as evil, any more than we have the right to force Muslim grocers to carry and sell pork. Hobby Lobby, in turn, has no right to impose their religious views on anyone else, and has no right to stop their employees from going and getting birth control on their own.



    Fortunately the 7th Circuit Court of Appeals Disagrees.

    I agree. I think this is a larger test, a toe in the water if you will...think about it, the government is seeing how far they can go through force with an item easily affordable by the mass public. The only reason to push so hard is to set a precedent.
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  6. #86
    Educator falcata's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    North East Pennsylvania
    Last Seen
    08-10-17 @ 11:16 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    926

    Re: Atty: Hobby Lobby Won't Offer Morning-After Pill

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    Is abortion a religion?
    The morning after pill is not anything close to an abortion.

    The morning after pill delays ovulation which means the egg never gets fertilized in the first place. If you still consider that an abortion you're probably for legislation against masturbation as well. There are some which just make the uterus inhospitable for the egg to attach to the uterine wall which results in a regular menstral cycle

    http://www.morningafterpill.org/how-does-it-work.html

    http://www.ehow.com/about_4587245_what-zygote.html
    Last edited by falcata; 12-30-12 at 07:14 PM. Reason: Links
    I traveled with Ivanka
    the way I normally do
    How was I to know
    She was with the Russians too? - Poetics by TurtleDude

  7. #87
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: Atty: Hobby Lobby Won't Offer Morning-After Pill

    Quote Originally Posted by notquiteright View Post
    I'd say Corporations are people but most of the people have no say in corporate policy.
    Nor should they if the corporations are operating legally. Corporations are not people in that it is some communal organization where all get a vote. Armies are people however privates are rarely asked their opinion.
    A group of people gathered together in a common interest are still people. That is true of any organization.

    I see the religion dodge as bogus,
    That really doesn't matter.

  8. #88
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: Atty: Hobby Lobby Won't Offer Morning-After Pill

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    I agree. I think this is a larger test, a toe in the water if you will...think about it, the government is seeing how far they can go through force with an item easily affordable by the mass public. The only reason to push so hard is to set a precedent.
    As well as a red herring. The government gives in on this issue and they appear benevolent and well meaning, despite the horrendous costs and worsening health care that will result from Obamacare. People will forget about that part until they come to face the facts down the road.

  9. #89
    Engineer

    RabidAlpaca's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    American in Europe
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:03 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    14,569

    Re: Atty: Hobby Lobby Won't Offer Morning-After Pill

    Quote Originally Posted by poweRob View Post
    It's the government mandating people who claim something is against their religion. So in that sense, it is precisely similiar. If you want to take the "buying other people something"... Any tax-funded program could be said to be that. Social Security... you are paying for someone else's social security. This argument is tired and resolved a long time ago.
    If you hire someone to mow your lawn, shouldn't you have the obligation to buy him condoms and other goodies? Or would it be better if you just paid him the agreed upon $20/hr and he can buy those things on his own if he wishes? Why does the government need to step in, nullify the original terms of the contract, and force you to buy him something? (It's an example, so don't go off on the <50 employees or temp rules, I know.)
    Quote Originally Posted by LowDown View Post
    I've got to say that it is shadenfreudalicious to see the rich and famous fucquewads on the coast suffering from the fires.

  10. #90
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Last Seen
    12-29-15 @ 10:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    3,747

    Re: Atty: Hobby Lobby Won't Offer Morning-After Pill

    Quote Originally Posted by iguanaman View Post
    That's exactly what the law does. It leaves the choice of using birth contol up to the individual not a Corporation.
    Rubbish. The law requires that the corporation pay for birth-control coverage. Whether birth control is used or not is not the issue. The corporation is mandated to pay for the coverage. That is what is being objected to.

Page 9 of 58 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •