Page 8 of 58 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 575

Thread: Atty: Hobby Lobby Won't Offer Morning-After Pill

  1. #71
    Sage
    poweRob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:14 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    35,070

    Re: Atty: Hobby Lobby Won't Offer Morning-After Pill

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    Yawn..

    I see no justification for force here.
    Your argument of calling taxes and such as "force" has long been debunked. Which is where there is this thing called Social Security and stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    The sad fact is that having a pedophile win is better than having a Democrat in office. I'm all for a solution where a Republican gets in that isn't Moore.

  2. #72
    Slayer of the DP Newsbot
    danarhea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    39,752

    Re: Atty: Hobby Lobby Won't Offer Morning-After Pill

    Quote Originally Posted by RabidAlpaca View Post
    I'm an atheist and as such I find nothing more despicable than the government enforcing religious principles. However, the exact opposite is happening here. The government is using the threat of violence to force private citizens to comply with a law that directly violates their religion. That I find disgusting.


    So just because it's a law, that also makes it just? If they made a law that the president gets to bang your wife, would you be cool with that? I mean, it would be law.
    Great, I think it's a terrible law that allows the banksters to receive million dollar bonuses from the government, after they ran their banks into the ground. So I think I'll go out and rob a bank. Or, instead, I can realize that we are a nation of laws, even if I don't happen to like some of them.
    The ghost of Jack Kevorkian for President's Physician: 2016

  3. #73
    Global Moderator
    Rage More!
    Your Star's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    26,362

    Re: Atty: Hobby Lobby Won't Offer Morning-After Pill

    Quote Originally Posted by digsbe View Post
    They are a private employer, they have ever right to deny the morning after pill being on covered insurance plans. If having birth control coverage is a make or break deal then find another job or purchase your own plan. If not, keep $50 in your account to pay for Plan B if you ever need it.

    This whole issue of mandated birth control coverage makes me sick and is completely medically unethical.
    First off, saying "just find another job" in this economy is an easy thing to say, not an easy thing to do.

    Secondly, it is ridiculous to claim that it is medically unethical.
    Eat me, drink me, love me;
    Laura make much of me

  4. #74
    Sage
    Khayembii Communique's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Milwaukee, WI
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    7,887

    Re: Atty: Hobby Lobby Won't Offer Morning-After Pill

    The morning after pill doesn't even cause abortions; it prevents the egg from being fertilized. It's contraception...
    "I do not claim that every incident in the history of empire can be explained in directly economic terms. Economic interests are filtered through a political process, policies are implemented by a complex state apparatus, and the whole system generates its own momentum."

  5. #75
    Slayer of the DP Newsbot
    danarhea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    39,752

    Re: Atty: Hobby Lobby Won't Offer Morning-After Pill

    We interrupt this discussion..............

    To mention the fact that DanaRhea finally posted something in breaking news that wasn't as old as the dinosaurs, already posted by someone else, or was not breaking news in a myriad number of other ways...........

    We now return you to the discussion.
    The ghost of Jack Kevorkian for President's Physician: 2016

  6. #76
    long standing member
    justabubba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    36,149

    Re: Atty: Hobby Lobby Won't Offer Morning-After Pill

    Quote Originally Posted by tessaesque View Post
    When I bought it, the MAP was $50. Currently it ranges from $10-70 according to the Planned Parenthood website. There's no justifiable reason for mandating that a company's insurance policy cover it.
    just as there is no reason to mandate cancer coverage
    or
    care for heart attacks or stroke
    we are negotiating about dividing a pizza and in the meantime israel is eating it
    once you're over the hill you begin to pick up speed

  7. #77
    Engineer

    RabidAlpaca's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    American in Europe
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    14,574

    Re: Atty: Hobby Lobby Won't Offer Morning-After Pill

    Quote Originally Posted by danarhea View Post
    Great, I think it's a terrible law that allows the banksters to receive million dollar bonuses from the government, after they ran their banks into the ground. So I think I'll go out and rob a bank. Or, instead, I can realize that we are a nation of laws, even if I don't happen to like some of them.
    So you're equating not buying someone something to going out and violently robbing a bank? You don't see the fallacy in logic in that?

    Quote Originally Posted by poweRob View Post
    I recall back in the day the Amish putting up a huge stink about the government requiring their buggies have a triangle relfector on the back of them so that cars could see them better. The Amish were pissed about that because they claimed that if they died from their buggy being hit by a car it was God's will. Basically making the claim that the reflector was interfering with their religious beliefs. Now buggies, by law, have a reflector on them... so the religous angle didn't work there either.
    The reflector was a matter of public road safety, and was the government mandating that all citizens who drive have some kind of reflector. This is the case of the government forcing someone to buy someone else something. Not even remotely similar.
    Quote Originally Posted by LowDown View Post
    I've got to say that it is shadenfreudalicious to see the rich and famous fucquewads on the coast suffering from the fires.

  8. #78
    Sage
    Fletch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Mentor Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:03 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    15,273

    Re: Atty: Hobby Lobby Won't Offer Morning-After Pill

    Quote Originally Posted by danarhea View Post
    I have 2 statements to make here:

    1) Freedom of religion doesn't mean freedom to impose your religious views on others. Your freedom of religion stops where my own freedom of religion begins.

    2) If Hobby Lobby wants to pay 1.3 million in fines per day, then by all means let them. It will help reduce our deficit a tiny bit. Thank you, Hobby Lobby, for volunteering to pay a little more.

    Article is here
    .
    Your first statement is correct but unfortuantely for you, it refutes the very argument you are trying to make. The owner of Hobby Lobby is a free man with the freedom to practice his religion. For some reason, you feel that you have some 'right' to impose your views upon him. I wont ask you where you derive such a 'right' because you wont be able to answer. The fact is, if his religious beliefs lead him to restrict the coverage he voluntarily offers his employees, it is none of your business. If those employees feel that contraceptive coverage is a necessary condition of their employment somewhere, then they can work elsewhere. The owner is not imposing his religion on anyone, and for you to claim he is is absurd.

    As for your second point, you are simply applauding state tyranny. Bravo.

  9. #79
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:06 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,413

    Re: Atty: Hobby Lobby Won't Offer Morning-After Pill

    Quote Originally Posted by Your Star View Post
    First off, saying "just find another job" in this economy is an easy thing to say, not an easy thing to do.

    Secondly, it is ridiculous to claim that it is medically unethical.
    You first point is correct. Your second point is not. With your second point all you're doing is trying to force your opinion on others, which is also what you are saying you find unethical.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  10. #80
    Sage
    poweRob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:14 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    35,070

    Re: Atty: Hobby Lobby Won't Offer Morning-After Pill

    Quote Originally Posted by RabidAlpaca View Post
    The reflector was a matter of public road safety, and was the government mandating that all citizens who drive have some kind of reflector. This is the case of the government forcing someone to buy someone else something. Not even remotely similar.
    It's the government mandating people who claim something is against their religion. So in that sense, it is precisely similiar. If you want to take the "buying other people something"... Any tax-funded program could be said to be that. Social Security... you are paying for someone else's social security. This argument is tired and resolved a long time ago.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    The sad fact is that having a pedophile win is better than having a Democrat in office. I'm all for a solution where a Republican gets in that isn't Moore.

Page 8 of 58 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •