Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 43

Thread: Claim seeks $100 million for child survivor of Connecticut school shooting

  1. #11
    Sage
    samsmart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,316
    Blog Entries
    37

    Re: So The Newtown Money Grab Begins

    Quote Originally Posted by SMTA View Post
    Claim seeks $100 million for child survivor of Connecticut school shooting - Yahoo! News



    So now we have a surviving child's parents looking to cash in on a 'forseeable harm' claim- nice.
    I'm going to play lawyers advocate here and say that this may be less about trying to cash in and more about opening the state of Connecticut up to lawsuits for not providing enough protection. By this lawyer filing this lawsuit, a legal precedent can be set for the state's responsibility for the protection of students, and throughout all the states rather than just in Connecticut.

    Doing so will put pressure on state governments to enact some kind of reform to provide better protection of our schools.

    Hopefully, it will work out this way.
    Also, we need to legalize recreational drugs and prostitution.

  2. #12
    global liberation

    ecofarm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Miami
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:12 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    66,313

    Re: So The Newtown Money Grab Begins

    Quote Originally Posted by samsmart View Post
    I'm going to play lawyers advocate here and say that this may be less about trying to cash in and more about opening the state of Connecticut up to lawsuits for not providing enough protection. By this lawyer filing this lawsuit, a legal precedent can be set for the state's responsibility for the protection of students, and throughout all the states rather than just in Connecticut.

    Doing so will put pressure on state governments to enact some kind of reform to provide better protection of our schools.

    Hopefully, it will work out this way.
    Nothing could have prevented this tragedy, except armed teachers. Security guard? First shot - gone.

    Turning schools into prisons is not the answer.

  3. #13
    Sage
    samsmart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,316
    Blog Entries
    37

    Re: So The Newtown Money Grab Begins

    Quote Originally Posted by ecofarm View Post
    Nothing could have prevented this tragedy, except armed teachers. Security guard? First shot - gone.

    Turning schools into prisons is not the answer.
    I'm not saying what the answer is - I'm not getting into that debate.

    However, what I'm saying is that this lawyer is filing this lawsuit in order to force state legislatures to have that debate and to come up with solutions, if only to fulfill their legal obligations in protecting school students in order to prevent future lawsuits against them.

    Hopefully, they will come up with some reforms that do actually better protect students.
    Also, we need to legalize recreational drugs and prostitution.

  4. #14
    global liberation

    ecofarm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Miami
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:12 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    66,313

    Re: So The Newtown Money Grab Begins

    Quote Originally Posted by samsmart View Post
    I'm not saying what the answer is - I'm not getting into that debate.

    However, what I'm saying is that this lawyer is filing this lawsuit in order to force state legislatures to have that debate and to come up with solutions, if only to fulfill their legal obligations in protecting school students in order to prevent future lawsuits against them.

    Hopefully, they will come up with some reforms that do actually better protect students.
    Using illegitimate lawsuits to get bureaucrats to hold extra meetings is crap. What a huge waste of time and money, for the justice and education systems.

    Going about things in a bs manner is not the way.

  5. #15
    Don't Give a Rat's Ass
    SMTA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    OH
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:43 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    21,803

    Re: So The Newtown Money Grab Begins

    Quote Originally Posted by ecofarm View Post
    Nothing could have prevented this tragedy, except armed teachers. Security guard? First shot - gone.

    Turning schools into prisons is not the answer.
    How is an armed teacher any different than an armed security guard?

    How does an armed security guard make the school become a prison and an armed teacher not have the same effect?
    Greatness lies not in being strong, but in the right use of strength - Henry Ward Beecher
    Baby sister, I was born game and I intend to go out that way - Rooster Cogburn

  6. #16
    Don't Give a Rat's Ass
    SMTA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    OH
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:43 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    21,803

    Re: So The Newtown Money Grab Begins

    Quote Originally Posted by samsmart View Post
    I'm going to play lawyers advocate here and say that this may be less about trying to cash in and more about opening the state of Connecticut up to lawsuits for not providing enough protection. By this lawyer filing this lawsuit, a legal precedent can be set for the state's responsibility for the protection of students, and throughout all the states rather than just in Connecticut.

    Doing so will put pressure on state governments to enact some kind of reform to provide better protection of our schools.

    Hopefully, it will work out this way.
    I thought of the same thing - hopefully it will work to increase school security.
    Greatness lies not in being strong, but in the right use of strength - Henry Ward Beecher
    Baby sister, I was born game and I intend to go out that way - Rooster Cogburn

  7. #17
    Sage
    samsmart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,316
    Blog Entries
    37

    Re: So The Newtown Money Grab Begins

    Quote Originally Posted by ecofarm View Post
    Using illegitimate lawsuits to get bureaucrats to hold extra meetings is crap. What a huge waste of time and money, for the justice and education systems.

    Going about things in a bs manner is not the way.
    Considering that despite the people being the sovereign in the U.S. but have very little in the way of implementing policies directly, using lawsuits to get legislators to pass reforms is one of the few levers that the people have to exert pressure on our elected representatives.
    Also, we need to legalize recreational drugs and prostitution.

  8. #18
    global liberation

    ecofarm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Miami
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:12 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    66,313

    Re: So The Newtown Money Grab Begins

    Quote Originally Posted by SMTA View Post
    How is an armed teacher any different than an armed security guard?
    Really? A guard is generally in uniform or otherwise known. If you're the badguy and you know who has a gun, you shoot them first. It's pointless for defense against murderous slaughter.

    How does an armed security guard make the school become a prison and an armed teacher not have the same effect?
    I was referring to other measures.

    gun-free2.jpg

  9. #19
    Sometimes wrong

    ttwtt78640's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Uhland, Texas
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    34,544

    Re: So The Newtown Money Grab Begins

    Quote Originally Posted by SMTA View Post
    How is an armed teacher any different than an armed security guard?

    How does an armed security guard make the school become a prison and an armed teacher not have the same effect?
    Several advantages of a concealed-armed (non-uniformed) school staff exist. 1) Students are not likely to be aware of who is "packing", 2) the perp is not likely to be aware of who is "packing", 3) armed uniformed security do only one thing and are idle 99.9% of the time, 4) teachers/staff are already present, familiar and cause no alram to students and 5) costs to add an extra colateral duty to existing personnel are far lower than adding additional "single purpose" personnel.
    “The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists to adapt the world to himself.
    Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” ― George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman

  10. #20
    global liberation

    ecofarm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Miami
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:12 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    66,313

    Re: So The Newtown Money Grab Begins

    Quote Originally Posted by samsmart View Post
    Considering that despite the people being the sovereign in the U.S. but have very little in the way of implementing policies directly, using lawsuits to get legislators to pass reforms is one of the few levers that the people have to exert pressure on our elected representatives.
    Glorifying frivolous lawsuits. All self-righteous about it too. Very nice.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •