Page 10 of 26 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast
Results 91 to 100 of 257

Thread: Harry Reid: "We're going over the cliff"

  1. #91
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Harry Reid: "We're going over the cliff"

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    Well, not exactly...Remember when Obama thought he was so slick about calling it 'revenue'? That can be achieved by closing loopholes, such as the State tax credit. But No, Obama doesn't really care about the revenue generated by this lie of his, it is about attacking success, and dividing republicans, as well as capitalism itself. And interesting that you say spending cuts, tell me, what 'cuts' has Obama put forth?
    I'm not praising Obama here. I blame both parties. Sure, I can link earlier proposals and we can play that game. Kind of senseless though. Neither party has been serious yet.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  2. #92
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: Harry Reid: "We're going over the cliff"

    Quote Originally Posted by iliveonramen View Post
    Very weird way of looking at it. Nobody votes on his budget because it won't pass the House. The only budget the House has passed is a budget that would never pass the Senate or be signed by the President. It's a case of two groups yelling past each other. I'm actually being generous here in my view.
    This is the guy the American people recently voted for. Obama budget defeated 99-0 in Senate - Washington Times

  3. #93
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Harry Reid: "We're going over the cliff"

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Fabulous View Post
    I wasn't clear in my last post. By "cuts" I also meant tax reform but I failed to state it that way.

    Cuts aren't the only thing that needs to happen, we need real tax reform, too but that one also seems to get drowned out. Real reform means that the "effective" rate that the wealthy pay will go up considerably. It's an easy argument to make that income tax rates are too high when the issue can be so easily manipulated by using top rate numbers like 39.5% and then tap dancing around the fact that no one pays anywhere near that amount because of the way our tax laws are structured. You start telling the truly rich that their effective rate is going up 5% or so and those campaign funds start drying up in a hurry.

    I'm starting to think this whole fiscal cliff fiasco may well be the only way anything meaningful will ever get done.

    I have no objection to eliminating breaks that dance around paying their actual rate.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  4. #94
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: Harry Reid: "We're going over the cliff"

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    I'm not praising Obama here. I blame both parties. Sure, I can link earlier proposals and we can play that game. Kind of senseless though. Neither party has been serious yet.
    Why should they be serious? Can you think of a reason why, if the American people themselves are not serious?

    Why would the people of Nevada, for example, vote for a guy like Harry Reid? And why would they vote for anyone who has no experience whatsoever?

    The fault lies with the American people, not their political representatives..

  5. #95
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,322

    Re: Harry Reid: "We're going over the cliff"

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    I'm not praising Obama here. I blame both parties. Sure, I can link earlier proposals and we can play that game. Kind of senseless though. Neither party has been serious yet.

    Yeah, you have a point there...Earlier proposals really have nothing to do with it. Heck, just a week ago all the chatter was how Obama was moving the goal post to $400K. Demo's had a fit, and republicans ignored it, then after the stupid Plan B debacle, Obama quickly went back to $250K....That has always been Obama's golden ring...Ever since he was elected.

    Then the WH came up with this sequester Bull, and repubs bit like a flounder in spring. Now, that is where Obama is headed, always has been. He will move the goal whenever any offer gets close so that we do go over....And all to play his little political game, and divide repubs. Congrats demo's, you made sure we elected a 7th grader.
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  6. #96
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Harry Reid: "We're going over the cliff"

    Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    Why should they be serious? Can you think of a reason why, if the American people themselves are not serious?

    Why would the people of Nevada, for example, vote for a guy like Harry Reid? And why would they vote for anyone who has no experience whatsoever?

    The fault lies with the American people, not their political representatives..
    I think the people are more serious than given credit. However, the partisan silliness just doesn't play as well as some hope. Both ways. They want a serious solution without too much pain bought upon the bottom. I think they would respond favorably to an honest discussion but doubt we can have one today.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  7. #97
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Harry Reid: "We're going over the cliff"

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    Yeah, you have a point there...Earlier proposals really have nothing to do with it. Heck, just a week ago all the chatter was how Obama was moving the goal post to $400K. Demo's had a fit, and republicans ignored it, then after the stupid Plan B debacle, Obama quickly went back to $250K....That has always been Obama's golden ring...Ever since he was elected.

    Then the WH came up with this sequester Bull, and repubs bit like a flounder in spring. Now, that is where Obama is headed, always has been. He will move the goal whenever any offer gets close so that we do go over....And all to play his little political game, and divide repubs. Congrats demo's, you made sure we elected a 7th grader.
    He's it king. He needs support as much as other president. You're still being far too partisan here.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  8. #98
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,322

    Re: Harry Reid: "We're going over the cliff"

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    He's it king.

    Ok, before I start openly laughing at this, would you care to clarify?

    He needs support as much as other president. You're still being far too partisan here.
    Support? Support? FOR WHAT? Playing partisan games while people like me get squeezed? P-U-H-L-E-E-Z-E!!!!!!!
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  9. #99
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:49 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    76,323

    Re: Harry Reid: "We're going over the cliff"

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Fabulous View Post
    I swear this is starting to read exactly like the last chapter of "1984".

    Reid says fiscal cliff dive likely; blasts Boehner for lacking leadership | The Ticket - Yahoo! News

    "Boehner will be to blame “if we go over the cliff, and it looks like that’s where we’re headed,” Reid insisted as the Senate returned to work for a post-Christmas session focused on disaster relief for Sandy victims and renewing key government surveillance powers."


    How much does anyone want to bet that a "miraculous last minute deal" will be struck that avoids the cliff yet does absolutely nothing to address the problem? All just another well played episode of "Kick the Can", I'm afraid...
    Has Reid ever passed a bill of any kind since he's been majority leader? I forget, someone refresh my memory. I think he declared the war was lost once, but other then that I don't think he's accomplished a lick.
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

  10. #100
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: Harry Reid: "We're going over the cliff"

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    I think the people are more serious than given credit. However, the partisan silliness just doesn't play as well as some hope. Both ways. They want a serious solution without too much pain bought upon the bottom. I think they would respond favorably to an honest discussion but doubt we can have one today.
    The American people just had an election where all the silliness was there to see. The issues, like dogs on rooftops, were there for all to see.

    Partisan silliness wouldn't play well unless the people accepted it and fell for it. All we need do is look back on these threads during the electoral process and see what many Americans were actually saying and, apparently, believing,

Page 10 of 26 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •