Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 21 to 25 of 25

Thread: Firms Play "Double Dutch" to Skip on Tax

  1. #21
    Engineer

    RabidAlpaca's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    American in Europe
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:14 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    14,577

    Re: Firms Play "Double Dutch" to Skip on Tax

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    I didn't realize I said anything of the sort. (because I didn't and you know it)



    They are (legally) dodging taxes in those countries, while benefiting from said infrastructure in those countries.

    Does a corporation not benefit from these things? Should it not pay taxes to support these things?
    That comes down then to a matter of opinion. How much money that the government takes in actually goes to "infrastructure"? We spend more money on wars, subsidies, and other BS than 100 Googles could ever pay. I'm willing to bet the 10% or however much tax they actually pay would buy quite a bit of infrastructure if that's what it went to.
    Quote Originally Posted by LowDown View Post
    I've got to say that it is shadenfreudalicious to see the rich and famous fucquewads on the coast suffering from the fires.

  2. #22
    Sage
    PeteEU's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Denmark
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 04:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,090

    Re: Firms Play "Double Dutch" to Skip on Tax

    Quote Originally Posted by RabidAlpaca View Post
    That comes down then to a matter of opinion. How much money that the government takes in actually goes to "infrastructure"? We spend more money on wars, subsidies, and other BS than 100 Googles could ever pay. I'm willing to bet the 10% or however much tax they actually pay would buy quite a bit of infrastructure if that's what it went to.
    Corporate welfare is a huge problem around the world. CATO estimated that the US spends 100 billion a year on it.. and that is a conservative think tank that has a history of underestimating things big time (if not out right lying). They for one dont include tax loopholes in the number.. so the actual number could easily be double that.
    PeteEU

  3. #23
    Engineer

    RabidAlpaca's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    American in Europe
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:14 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    14,577

    Re: Firms Play "Double Dutch" to Skip on Tax

    Quote Originally Posted by PeteEU View Post
    Corporate welfare is a huge problem around the world. CATO estimated that the US spends 100 billion a year on it.. and that is a conservative think tank that has a history of underestimating things big time (if not out right lying). They for one dont include tax loopholes in the number.. so the actual number could easily be double that.
    Yep, so you can see why I'm not exactly supportive of taking more from some corporations to give to others.
    Quote Originally Posted by LowDown View Post
    I've got to say that it is shadenfreudalicious to see the rich and famous fucquewads on the coast suffering from the fires.

  4. #24
    Sage
    PeteEU's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Denmark
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 04:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,090

    Re: Firms Play "Double Dutch" to Skip on Tax

    Quote Originally Posted by RabidAlpaca View Post
    Yep, so you can see why I'm not exactly supportive of taking more from some corporations to give to others.
    Yes I understand you, but you are looking at it the wrong way. You need to take more from corporations.. the ones getting away with massive avoidance and huge subsidies... aka stop those loopholes. That will raise the taxes on those corporations but not effect the rest that dont abuse the system.. and then you can lower the tax rates a tad..

    You dont get anything by lowering the tax before plugging the holes.. it would only mean most likely... that the holes wont be plugged at all.
    PeteEU

  5. #25
    Curmudgeon


    LowDown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Houston
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 12:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    11,566
    Blog Entries
    11

    Re: Firms Play "Double Dutch" to Skip on Tax

    Quote Originally Posted by spanky View Post
    But in the US it doesn't matter where the company is registered, if they derive income from inside the US it has to be declared as income on their US Corp tax return.
    No, if the buyer pays the Irish branch for advertising then it's income in Ireland. They pay 12.5 percent corporate tax there. If the US reduced the corporate tax rate we'd be able to get at least that much out of that corporate income.

    "Plugging" these "loopholes" involves changing international treaties, which is extremely difficult, and we could end up worse off than before.

    "The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." --HL Mencken

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •