Page 13 of 20 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast
Results 121 to 130 of 198

Thread: Condoms for free at 22 city schools

  1. #121
    Count Smackula
    rathi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    10-31-15 @ 10:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    7,890

    Re: Condoms for free at 22 city schools

    The purpose of public policy is maximize the societal benefit, not satisfy a sick desire to see teenagers punished for having sex. "Personal responsibility" is bull**** considering that the children of teen parents suffer for the mistakes of others, not to mention that high school students are legally children anyway. Abstinence-only nonsense leads to worse results in reality, no amount of pontificating will change that adopting such policies is both expensive and immoral.

  2. #122
    Sewer Rat
    Risky Thicket's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    23,799

    Re: Condoms for free at 22 city schools

    Quote Originally Posted by Mathematician View Post
    Let's meet in the middle. How about letting them stay after school and clean for 30 minutes to save on janitor costs and allow them to earn their condoms?
    Brilliant! Who is going to work out the bus scheduling for those who stay late? Who is going to pay for the extra driver, fuel, and maintenance costs? Compare the cost difference to giving the kids free rubbers.










    "When Faith preaches Hate, Blessed are the Doubters." - Amin Maalouf

    When trouble arises and things look bad, there is always one individual who perceives a solution and is willing to take command. Very often, that person is crazy. ~Dave Barry



  3. #123
    Sewer Rat
    Risky Thicket's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    23,799

    Re: Condoms for free at 22 city schools

    Quote Originally Posted by rathi View Post
    The purpose of public policy is maximize the societal benefit, not satisfy a sick desire to see teenagers punished for having sex. "Personal responsibility" is bull**** considering that the children of teen parents suffer for the mistakes of others, not to mention that high school students are legally children anyway. Abstinence-only nonsense leads to worse results in reality, no amount of pontificating will change that adopting such policies is both expensive and immoral.
    Bingo! Unfortunately though, there will always be an element of people in America who believe sex is the root of all evil. Sex=bad. Bloomberg won't let you buy a big Coke in NYC. Sex is the culprit. The massacre of children by a 20 year old on SRRIs? Sex, we have heard from TV preachers, is the reason why it happened. America no longer manufactures anything and somewhere some of the same people will claim it is because of sex.

    Sex, sex, sex. It's evil, horrible, bad.


    If God wanted us to walk around nude, we'd have all been born naked.










    "When Faith preaches Hate, Blessed are the Doubters." - Amin Maalouf

    When trouble arises and things look bad, there is always one individual who perceives a solution and is willing to take command. Very often, that person is crazy. ~Dave Barry



  4. #124
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Condoms for free at 22 city schools

    Quote Originally Posted by rathi View Post
    The purpose of public policy is maximize the societal benefit, not satisfy a sick desire to see teenagers punished for having sex. "Personal responsibility" is bull**** considering that the children of teen parents suffer for the mistakes of others, not to mention that high school students are legally children anyway.
    So the children suffer from the choices of their parents? Your point? In case you missed it that is a rather common occurrence.

    Abstinence-only nonsense leads to worse results in reality, no amount of pontificating will change that adopting such policies is both expensive and immoral.
    Who is talking about abstinence only policies? Anyway, there is nothing immoral about letting people suffer from their choices. Nothing at all.

    I enjoy how everyone is forgetting that these kids already know to use condoms, they are already provided for free by other outlets, and yet they still do not use them. Somehow providing them at school will change everything though. Yeah, if we forget that you have to have an interest to use them in which they do NOT have.
    Last edited by Henrin; 12-24-12 at 05:36 PM.

  5. #125
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 03:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,272

    Re: Condoms for free at 22 city schools

    Quote Originally Posted by Risky Thicket View Post
    Bingo! Unfortunately though, there will always be an element of people in America who believe sex is the root of all evil. Sex=bad. Bloomberg won't let you buy a big Coke in NYC. Sex is the culprit. The massacre of children by a 20 year old on SRRIs? Sex, we have heard from TV preachers, is the reason why it happened. America no longer manufactures anything and somewhere some of the same people will claim it is because of sex.

    Well, that would be silly. Maybe if this is what we are faced with we need to as parents, and as I did with my own children talk about how having a child before they were established in their lives was a really selfish act, and would harm not only their long term progression in life, but how it wasn't fair to the child.

    We need to get back to values in this country, and I am not talking about the off the wall tv preacher values either, but the wisdom of those of us who have experienced life rather than throwing up our hands and proclaiming that it is beyond our control.

    Sex, sex, sex. It's evil, horrible, bad.
    Not horrible at all, but it can be a choice with consequences that have long term ramifications that immature minds are not ready for.

    If God wanted us to walk around nude, we'd have all been born naked.
    And if God wanted children to procreate outside of marriage, and at levels of immaturity to not be able to care for the life they create he wouldn't have placed so much emphasis on the act being specific for the purpose of building a family. Think about it, was God really saying 'allow your children to have sex, and reproduce because it's fun'?
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  6. #126
    Professor
    Mathematician's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Last Seen
    09-22-17 @ 09:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    2,147

    Re: Condoms for free at 22 city schools

    Quote Originally Posted by Risky Thicket View Post
    No, that is incorrect. Abstinence is not a natural act. More than that diseases and pregnancies will be everyone's problem. The cost will be shared. Do the math!
    "Do the math"? What in the heck do you think a mathematician did? Until there exists birth control that is 100% effective, abstinence is the only solution to guarantee kids aren't having kids. You say abstinence isn't natural. However, if someone can analyze cause/effect or risk/reward worth a crap then they should realize that several years of screwing as a teenager isn't worth risking the damage to your adulthood. The more you justify taking such risks by saying "it's natural", the more careless and irresponsible you teach the next generation to be.
    "With me everything turns into mathematics."
    "It is not enough to have a good mind. The main thing is to use it well."
    "It is truth very certain that, when it is not in one's power to determine what is true, we ought to follow what is more probable." -- Rene Descartes

  7. #127
    Professor
    Mathematician's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Last Seen
    09-22-17 @ 09:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    2,147

    Re: Condoms for free at 22 city schools

    Quote Originally Posted by Risky Thicket View Post
    Bingo! Unfortunately though, there will always be an element of people in America who believe sex is the root of all evil. Sex=bad. Bloomberg won't let you buy a big Coke in NYC. Sex is the culprit. The massacre of children by a 20 year old on SRRIs? Sex, we have heard from TV preachers, is the reason why it happened. America no longer manufactures anything and somewhere some of the same people will claim it is because of sex.

    Sex, sex, sex. It's evil, horrible, bad.


    If God wanted us to walk around nude, we'd have all been born naked.
    Quit trying to bend our argument into some other BS. Nobody said sex is bad. What's bad is telling kids who aren't well prepared for adulthood to go ahead and risk their future screwing. Expectation of reposibility is the fundamental reason we have age limits for driving, purchasing alcohol, etc.
    "With me everything turns into mathematics."
    "It is not enough to have a good mind. The main thing is to use it well."
    "It is truth very certain that, when it is not in one's power to determine what is true, we ought to follow what is more probable." -- Rene Descartes

  8. #128
    Guru

    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    2,799

    Re: Condoms for free at 22 city schools

    Quote Originally Posted by Mathematician View Post
    What's bad is telling kids who aren't well prepared for adulthood to go ahead and risk their future screwing.
    Who's telling teens to screw...they will regardless-providing condoms will just prevent some of the "nuisances" like spread of disease, babies, ruined futures, maybe even a "DREADFUL" abortion or two. ALL of which cost MONEY-much more than rubbers I should add
    Men do what they have to when they want to, Great men do what they have to, even when they don't want to.

  9. #129
    User Jafne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Last Seen
    04-26-13 @ 08:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    86

    Re: Condoms for free at 22 city schools

    Quote Originally Posted by lpast View Post
    It just isnt fair I tell ya...we had to pay a quarter in some sleezy bathroom for our condoms when I was a teen and for a quarter I could go to the movies on saturday.

    Coming over the holiday break to about a third of Philadelphia high schools: clear plastic dispensers chock-full of free condoms.


    The dispensers will be placed in the 22 high schools whose students had the highest rates of sexually transmitted diseases, and condoms will be available to any student - so long as their parents did not sign a form opting them out of the program.



    Condoms for free at 22 city schools
    I'm pro choice, but anything that lessens the number of abortions is a good thing. Eventually they won't be wasted anymore then toilet paper or paper towels. Many people treat sex as little more as a bowel movement anyway..... sad.

  10. #130
    Sayonara!
    Maenad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    By the water.
    Last Seen
    07-09-14 @ 10:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,259

    Re: Condoms for free at 22 city schools

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    No, I'm saying if the mom needs the money from more work hours it would work to her advantage if she was able to do the school work at home. We already have Internet classes so it seems workable to me.
    School work isn't the agenda.
    Redneck, hillbilly, fundie, Bible thumper, cracker, split tails, geezer, loon, xenophobe, islamaphobe, and homophobe are not words of tolerance.

Page 13 of 20 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •