Page 95 of 107 FirstFirst ... 45859394959697105 ... LastLast
Results 941 to 950 of 1067

Thread: NRA Newtown response [W:818]

  1. #941
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,967

    Re: NRA Newtown response

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    so the staff (Bo) the sickle (Kama) the tool used for weeding (the Sai) the rice grinder (tonfa) and the rice flail (Nunchaku) became weapons
    I enjoyed the nice slip in of martial arts history in there. On a somewhat off topic note, it's sad that with the move away from traditional arts in the modern craze of MMA that some of the history will become much more obscure.

  2. #942
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:58 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,299
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: NRA Newtown response [W:818]

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    Gotcha. That makes more sense. And it is a rather funny thing when it comes to positions over ideology. It's an issue present in a lot of debates sadly
    I thought you might appreciate the positions vs ideology thing.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  3. #943
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:58 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,299
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: NRA Newtown response

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    I enjoyed the nice slip in of martial arts history in there. On a somewhat off topic note, it's sad that with the move away from traditional arts in the modern craze of MMA that some of the history will become much more obscure.
    Not surprisingly, in Japan despite the prevalence of MMA, the history aspect of martial arts is still very much alive. It is in fact an integral part to much of their pop entertainment.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  4. #944
    Student jakiejakester's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Soho, NYC
    Last Seen
    09-30-17 @ 07:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    263

    Re: NRA Newtown response

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    Actually those are largely regulated in modern Japan. The key issue is time. Given enough time with restrictive gun laws, and a culture will change. And note to be clear, I do not favor such a solution for the US.
    Your point is a good one. I never read explanations from the very pro-gun members of this community that can explain how there is so much more gun violence in the US than virtually any other "civilized" country. The common denominator for the countries that have a far lower gun violence rate is gun control which is a fact that our gun junkies in this country almost completely ignore. Why? They don't have a response that makes any sense.

    Licensing gun owners the way we do drivers would surely be a major advance. The ruse of the right is to say that licensing gun owners = taking guns away but that's not at all the case unless the gun owner can't pass a written and practical test that licenses them.
    “The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” ― Neil deGrasse Tyson

  5. #945
    Student jakiejakester's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Soho, NYC
    Last Seen
    09-30-17 @ 07:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    263

    Re: NRA Newtown response

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    I also note no one who supports restrictions on normal capacity magazines (a "high capacity magazine is one that holds more rounds than the normally supplied magazine for the gun-not one that is more than ten rounds as the anti gunners would want us to believe) can demonstrate any evidence that the bans would decrease crime. ten years of the Clinton law failed to create any such evidence
    Can you show that the Clinton ban INCREASED crime because of the law?
    “The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” ― Neil deGrasse Tyson

  6. #946
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:33 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,622

    Re: NRA Newtown response

    Quote Originally Posted by jakiejakester View Post
    Can you show that the Clinton ban INCREASED crime because of the law?
    that's not a relevant question. you do not defend a law by saying it did not increase crime

  7. #947
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:58 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,299
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: NRA Newtown response

    Quote Originally Posted by jakiejakester View Post
    Your point is a good one. I never read explanations from the very pro-gun members of this community that can explain how there is so much more gun violence in the US than virtually any other "civilized" country. The common denominator for the countries that have a far lower gun violence rate is gun control which is a fact that our gun junkies in this country almost completely ignore. Why? They don't have a response that makes any sense.

    Licensing gun owners the way we do drivers would surely be a major advance. The ruse of the right is to say that licensing gun owners = taking guns away but that's not at all the case unless the gun owner can't pass a written and practical test that licenses them.
    I really do not think licensing guns would have a significant impact on gun violence. I would not support such a measure.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  8. #948
    Student jakiejakester's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Soho, NYC
    Last Seen
    09-30-17 @ 07:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    263

    Re: NRA Newtown response

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    that's not a relevant question. you do not defend a law by saying it did not increase crime
    I feel that you're suggesting that the law would increase crime hence my request.
    “The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” ― Neil deGrasse Tyson

  9. #949
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:33 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,622

    Re: NRA Newtown response

    Quote Originally Posted by jakiejakester View Post
    I feel that you're suggesting that the law would increase crime hence my request.
    well it did in the sense that some people bought Post ban weapons and converted them to Pre ban. this normally involved buying an AR 15 style rifle which was sold without "flash hiders" "bayonet lugs" etc and replacing the top half of the rifle with ones that had those features. the people who wanted normal capacity (15-21 round) pistol magazines are the competition practical shooters where you are scored on TIME as well as accuracy so less reloading of the pistol is an advantage. If you came into the sport after the ban the magazines were extremely (150 dollar rather than 20-30 pre ban) expensive but there were "replacement" kits available meaning if you OWNED a 20 round magazine and it broke you could replace the broken part. Some people broke the law by actually creating new normal capacity magazines

  10. #950
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,967

    Re: NRA Newtown response

    Quote Originally Posted by jakiejakester View Post
    Licensing gun owners the way we do drivers would surely be a major advance. The ruse of the right is to say that licensing gun owners = taking guns away but that's not at all the case unless the gun owner can't pass a written and practical test that licenses them.
    Do you believe it would be constitutional....not if you'd agree with it, not if you'd think it'd be needed, not if you think it's "wrong"....to require people to be liscensed prior to be able to speak in a public venue about politics?

Page 95 of 107 FirstFirst ... 45859394959697105 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •