Page 89 of 107 FirstFirst ... 3979878889909199 ... LastLast
Results 881 to 890 of 1067

Thread: NRA Newtown response [W:818]

  1. #881
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,606

    Re: NRA Newtown response

    Quote Originally Posted by jakiejakester View Post
    I did not read all 870+ plus postings but the way you wrote it is that many or most people who are pro gun control want what you wrote when in fact you can only name one person....that's not fair IMHO.
    those who think some restrictions on honest people will stop some criminals don't take much convincing to believe complete bans on honest people will stop even more crime

    its a faith based acceptance that Crime control is advanced by gun control

  2. #882
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:30 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,290
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: NRA Newtown response

    Quote Originally Posted by Eighty Deuce View Post
    That is hugely naive. James Madison is credited as the "Father of the Constitution", and yet the defining case where the SCOTUS took oversight power over the Laws passed by Congress, aka "Judicial Review" was "Marbury vs. Madison". When reading the intent of the Founders, and a great start is the Federalist Papers, it is clear that their intent has been warped over time, and that a strong argument could be made that they would object with vigor to many of the liberal machinations of SCOTUS since they drew it up !
    James Madfison also objected to a specific bill of rights, so if he had gotten his way no second amendment. Just sayin'....
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  3. #883
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,606

    Re: NRA Newtown response

    Quote Originally Posted by jakiejakester View Post
    Is it OK if you would post replies to my posts, which you freely choose to do without attacking me personally? My "rants" are my opinion and not rants. I always feel that the person that I'm debating is losing the debate when they have to resort to petty personal attacks. I see it as "I can't prove my point intellectually so instead I'll put you down and discredit you."

    You have a point of view that I severely disagree with but I do not think that I should attack your position as "moronic" or "rants" etc. You can always put me on your ignore list if my "rants" make you write so many angry words against me?
    I am being honest-when you claim to know what I need that is an assertion you have more knowledge as to what I need or can use than I do. That is rather arrogant wouldn't you say

    I would never tell you what you need for self defense nor will I pretend to. Now if you were to tell me where you live, the composition of your home's outer walls, the longest possible distance of engagement, the number of people in your dwelling, the number of entrances and where your children (if any) are located I can probably give you a very good bit of advice as to what would be the BEST CHOICE for you to have for home and self defense

  4. #884
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,606

    Re: NRA Newtown response

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    James Madfison also objected to a specific bill of rights, so if he had gotten his way no second amendment. Just sayin'....
    true, his position was premised on the assumption underlying the Constitution-that the government was given only SPECIFIC powers and anything not specifically granted to the federal government was reserved to the people and the several states. that is why the supreme court noted in the Cruikshank decision (1870s IIRC) that the second amendment GRANTS no rights-merely recognized existing rights

    sadly dishonest lower court judges-state and federal-used the words of that case to hold that the second amendment therefore granted no individual rights and therefore none existed

    that was the basis of stevens' pathetic dissent in HELLER-he argued that the CoA decisions based on a dishonest and completely wrong interpretation of supreme court case law should be respected as precedent

  5. #885
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:30 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,290
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: NRA Newtown response

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    true, his position was premised on the assumption underlying the Constitution-that the government was given only SPECIFIC powers and anything not specifically granted to the federal government was reserved to the people and the several states. that is why the supreme court noted in the Cruikshank decision (1870s IIRC) that the second amendment GRANTS no rights-merely recognized existing rights

    sadly dishonest lower court judges-state and federal-used the words of that case to hold that the second amendment therefore granted no individual rights and therefore none existed

    that was the basis of stevens' pathetic dissent in HELLER-he argued that the CoA decisions based on a dishonest and completely wrong interpretation of supreme court case law should be respected as precedent
    Correct, he was not agianst the rights, but felt there was no need to enumerate them. I know my constitutional history, probably better than those I am arguing against here.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  6. #886
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,606

    Re: NRA Newtown response

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    Correct, he was not agianst the rights, but felt there was no need to enumerate them. I know my constitutional history, probably better than those I am arguing against here.
    without commenting on others specifically, I will note that (and this is coming from a guy who has given an endowed lecture at an accredited law school on this topic) that yes you indeed are better versed in this subject than many

  7. #887
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,319

    Re: NRA Newtown response

    Quote Originally Posted by jakiejakester View Post
    I don't understand? This is the USA, not Cuba, Russia etc. Your point would only have validity if they had the US Constitution which they do not and never will.

    Comparing our government to Cambodia et al is a giant misdirection and in my mind has no validity.
    Your lack of understanding prevents you from learning anything. A short coming common among our leftist brothers and sisters.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  8. #888
    Student jakiejakester's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Soho, NYC
    Last Seen
    09-30-17 @ 07:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    263

    Re: NRA Newtown response

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    those who think some restrictions on honest people will stop some criminals don't take much convincing to believe complete bans on honest people will stop even more crime

    its a faith based acceptance that Crime control is advanced by gun control
    You know there are millions of us who are pro-gun control but not based on faith. I also think the vast majority are in the world of reality and know that total bans are a fantasy that will never, ever happen.

    Banning AR type weapons and large magazines is not total gun control and people are not asking for that - I've not seen one national politician come out with that stance. How do you account for the low crime and murder rate in NYC since strict gun registration was enacted? With 9 million or so residents it seems that very few of my neighbors own guns yet we're safe and the murder rate here continues to decrease dramatically, how come?
    “The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” ― Neil deGrasse Tyson

  9. #889
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Last Seen
    12-29-15 @ 10:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    3,747

    Re: NRA Newtown response

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    James Madfison also objected to a specific bill of rights, so if he had gotten his way no second amendment. Just sayin'....
    He initially felt it unnecessary, not the only short-sighted assumption made by the Founders in not anticipating the over-reach of later governement. Regardless, he eventually endorsed it fully.

    Madison and the Bill of Rights

    Back to the topic at hand. The literal translation of the 2nd Amendment is that the right to bear arms will not be impeded. Just as the First Amendment says not a damn thing about seperation of church and state.

    Most Liberals struggle mightily with the above two assertions of fact. If you do not, than you are the rare one.

  10. #890
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Last Seen
    12-29-15 @ 10:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    3,747

    Re: NRA Newtown response

    Quote Originally Posted by jakiejakester View Post
    You know there are millions of us who are pro-gun control but not based on faith. I also think the vast majority are in the world of reality and know that total bans are a fantasy that will never, ever happen.

    Banning AR type weapons and large magazines is not total gun control and people are not asking for that - I've not seen one national politician come out with that stance. How do you account for the low crime and murder rate in NYC since strict gun registration was enacted? With 9 million or so residents it seems that very few of my neighbors own guns yet we're safe and the murder rate here continues to decrease dramatically, how come?
    Chicago also has strict gun control. 'splain please.

Page 89 of 107 FirstFirst ... 3979878889909199 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •