Page 84 of 107 FirstFirst ... 3474828384858694 ... LastLast
Results 831 to 840 of 1067

Thread: NRA Newtown response [W:818]

  1. #831
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,701

    Re: NRA Newtown response

    Quote Originally Posted by jakiejakester View Post
    That's because the gun makers purposely decided to create new weapons that circumvented the law - they weaseled it so that they could continue to sell weapons of mass killing. If they had honored the law and accepted it's intention rather than doing whatever they could to get around it the law would have been more effective. BTW - can you show me where that law did not prevent lives from being saved? I keep hearing this Fox News / NRA talking point but I can't recall seeing non-partisan data supporting it.
    that's not accurate. the morons who passed the law were told they were making silly cosmetic distinctions that had no relevance such as making an "assault weapon" definition based on stuff like bayonet lugs, folding stocks and flash hiders. SO when those features caused a weapon to be banned the makers merely deleted them so they could sell their products

    that is called COMPLYING WITH THE LAW

    mass killing-why do cops carry those things then? I have no duty to prove your claims-you are the one who wants to Limit our rights-the burden is on you to PROVE that your infringing on our rights created massive improvements in public safety

    YOU CANNOT

  2. #832
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:14 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,331
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: NRA Newtown response

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Nick View Post
    The Second Amendment is in place to keep the government in check and to assure lawmakers obey and respect the Bill of Rights.
    So you do not believe in a literal interpretatrion of the constitution, since the Second Amendment does not state nor suggest that.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  3. #833
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    10-30-14 @ 12:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,908

    Re: NRA Newtown response

    Quote Originally Posted by notquiteright View Post
    it is always interesting to read the posts of those claiming various degrees of understanding the Constitution and what it means. Great to see the questions asking for where in the Constitution does it say....

    But these scholars seem to be ignorant of the other half of the Heller decision. Written by Justice Scalia, the so-called intellectual anchor of the conservative wing of the Court, he found where the 2nd Amendment can be restricted without amending it. He said something along the lines of the Right to bear doesn't mean whatever, whenever, where ever. He does point out the decision the court handed down in Heller doesn't mean the mentally ill or felons now can purchase, carry and use firearms.

    I'd say those wanting to know 'where in the Constitution does it say...' I'd direct them to Justice Scalia...
    I could care less.... It would be interesting to see how those same justices interpret a Dr. Seuss book.

    Lawyers are lawyers and they over-think everything. The travesty of law is the fact history and reason have no role in law. I mean all anyone has to do to understand the Second Amendment is to understand theocracies and monarchies then it all comes into frame - however those ideas cannot be considered under law when making judgments.

    In short the "slippery slope" philosophically exists, yet it is nothing more than philosophy, hence it is not admissible or could be never legally considered as a lawful argument -- yet it exists as "precedent."

  4. #834
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,485

    Re: NRA Newtown response

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    So you do not believe in a literal interpretatrion of the constitution, since the Second Amendment does not state nor suggest that.
    Why do you think the 2nd Amendment is in place?
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  5. #835
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,701

    Re: NRA Newtown response

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    So you do not believe in a literal interpretatrion of the constitution, since the Second Amendment does not state nor suggest that.
    technically true but many contemporaneous letters and notes of speeches indicated that fact

  6. #836
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:14 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,331
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: NRA Newtown response

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    Why do you think the 2nd Amendment is in place?
    It states why right in the amendment.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  7. #837
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    10-30-14 @ 12:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,908

    Re: NRA Newtown response

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    So you do not believe in a literal interpretatrion of the constitution, since the Second Amendment does not state nor suggest that.
    The Bill of Rights are quite blunt... Such writings don't need to be interpreted - especially given what the founding fathers were aiming at.

    Our founding fathers clearly understood the dangers of a society ruled by a theocracy, monarchy or any authoritarian governance.

  8. #838
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:14 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,331
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: NRA Newtown response

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    technically true but many contemporaneous letters and notes of speeches indicated that fact
    Well, sorta. Some peopel had that view, but what was put into the constitution itself is not what Mr. Nick claims. You have to interpret to get that. Not very libertarian of him.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  9. #839
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,701

    Re: NRA Newtown response

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    It states why right in the amendment.
    but that is subject to several different interpretations.

  10. #840
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:14 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,331
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: NRA Newtown response

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Nick View Post
    The Bill of Rights are quite blunt... Such writings don't need to be interpreted - especially given what the founding fathers were aiming at.

    Our founding fathers clearly understood the dangers of a society ruled by a theocracy, monarchy or any authoritarian governance.
    You are clearly interpreting the second amendment since nowhere does it claim or suggest that it's purpose is to defend against the government. So you claim it does not need to be interpreted, except by you apparently.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

Page 84 of 107 FirstFirst ... 3474828384858694 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •