Page 76 of 107 FirstFirst ... 2666747576777886 ... LastLast
Results 751 to 760 of 1067

Thread: NRA Newtown response [W:818]

  1. #751
    Sometimes wrong

    ttwtt78640's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Uhland, Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    34,566

    Re: NRA Newtown response

    Quote Originally Posted by nota bene View Post
    I am not arguing for personal irresponsibility. I can see that you didn't read the CNN article to which I linked you. In it, those who knew her said that she was very responsible.

    There is no indication that Nancy Lanza was irresponsible. There is also no evidence that she was even awake when shot; in fact, every report I've read suggests that she was likely asleep when murdered.

    You're practicing psychiatry without a license here, and you haven't really read up on this. Those with autism are frequently very difficult to "reach," and this does NOT translate to their distance being an indication that they have violent tendencies.

    Where have you read that Adam Lanza had an anti-social personality disorder? Where have you read that I promote irresponsible gun ownership? What evidence do you have to support your claims beyond "Hindsight is 20/20"?

    Produce evidence that Adam Lanza had violent tendencies and that somehow his mother should have known that he was going to do what he did.

    I will produce evidence now that suggests that there was NO CLUE:

    [Richard] Novia said he was surprised by the deadly rampage that left 20 children and seven adults, including Adam Lanza's mother, dead.

    "He had some social disorders, poor personal skills," Novia said. "We felt strongly he could develop. He was highly intelligent, but how do you inject him in the system and develop him socially?"

    Novia was not able to give specifics about the killer's specific condition, but said Adam Lanza did not have any violent tendencies.

    "In a security aspect, it wouldn't be what he would do," he said. "It was what they might do to him."

    Adam Lanza underwent psych evaluations in years past - WFSB 3 Connecticut


    But this CT case is the crown jewel of liberal argument that the NRA and guns are evil, not the people that misuse (abuse?) them. We must use this tragedy as intended; to require (justify?) as much nanny state gov't expansion as possible. We the sheeple are incapable of contolling all in our midst so we need more gov't ASAP; now they will not do it either, but that is never to be discussed - we the sheeple had our chance and we blew it, just ask Obama, he will tell you; it is his mandate to "fundamentally transform" America.
    “The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists to adapt the world to himself.
    Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” ― George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman

  2. #752
    Sage
    SheWolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:13 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    24,477

    Re: NRA Newtown response

    Quote Originally Posted by nota bene View Post
    I am not arguing for personal irresponsibility. I can see that you didn't read the CNN article to which I linked you. In it, those who knew her said that she was very responsible.

    There is no indication that Nancy Lanza was irresponsible. There is also no evidence that she was even awake when shot; in fact, every report I've read suggests that she was likely asleep when murdered.

    You're practicing psychiatry without a license here, and you haven't really read up on this. Those with autism are frequently very difficult to "reach," and this does NOT translate to their distance being an indication that they have violent tendencies.

    Where have you read that Adam Lanza had an anti-social personality disorder? Where have you read that I promote irresponsible gun ownership? What evidence do you have to support your claims beyond "Hindsight is 20/20"?

    Produce evidence that Adam Lanza had violent tendencies and that somehow his mother should have known that he was going to do what he did.

    I will produce evidence now that suggests that there was NO CLUE:

    [Richard] Novia said he was surprised by the deadly rampage that left 20 children and seven adults, including Adam Lanza's mother, dead.

    "He had some social disorders, poor personal skills," Novia said. "We felt strongly he could develop. He was highly intelligent, but how do you inject him in the system and develop him socially?"

    Novia was not able to give specifics about the killer's specific condition, but said Adam Lanza did not have any violent tendencies.

    "In a security aspect, it wouldn't be what he would do," he said. "It was what they might do to him."

    Adam Lanza underwent psych evaluations in years past - WFSB 3 Connecticut


    I have heard numerous sources that say he was anti social. He would frequently withdraw. I never once said he was violent. lol. I said he wasn't able to care for himself and needed to be committed.

    His mother didn't keep her guns locked up and from Lanza easily accessing them. What other proof do you need that she lacked judgement? I am not so much calling her irresponsible as I am calling your attitude irresponsible. Every single person in the would shouldn't be taught to use a gun. I don't care if you believe in a dooms day coming or not. If somebody can't take care of themselves to the point they need to be committed and has anti social behaviors, they probably shouldn't be taught how to use a firearm. If you do choose to teach such an individual such skills, for god's sake, keep your guns locked up.

    In the future, people should do more to keep their own guns being used in this manner. That's one way of preventing future mass shootings. You're arguing his mother did nothing wrong, and it was fine he accessed her guns. It's not.

    Pick gun control and gun restrictions, or pick responsibility. Don't argue that the mother's behavior and decsions should be repeated over and over in this country, because it shouldn't be.

  3. #753
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    10-30-14 @ 12:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,908

    Re: NRA Newtown response

    Quote Originally Posted by poweRob View Post
    Really? Because as a conservative voice in this thread, those are the cards you keep playing for yourself.

    You know, how you went on the attack in this thread and then whined about being attacked, then blaming progressives for mass shootings... ring a bell? nah.. I suppose not.
    I've never attacked anyone.

    Don't confuse different views with attacks, or the notion that anyone who doesn't agree with your progressive is somehow "conservative."

    I'm a real liberal not a progressive. I believe in individualism, hence I don't need government dictating outcomes for me or you. I'm an adult, you're an adult - you don't need government telling you what to do or how to live your life.

    Do you really enjoy the notion that government controls your life? - that government makes decisions for you that you could make for yourself?

    A real "liberal" would scoff at the idea of government intervention...... The audacity you have to portray yourself as a "liberal" is amusing!

    Merry Christmas,

    - I hope that offends you BTW.
    Last edited by Mr.Nick; 12-25-12 at 02:40 PM.

  4. #754
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    36,896

    Re: NRA Newtown response

    This is what I mean about not reading up. She kept her guns locked up.

    And don't put words in my mouth, SheWolf. I have never said what you claim I've said.

  5. #755
    Sage
    SheWolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:13 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    24,477

    Re: NRA Newtown response

    Quote Originally Posted by nota bene View Post
    This is what I mean about not reading up. She kept her guns locked up.

    And don't put words in my mouth, SheWolf. I have never said what you claim I've said.
    It doesn't seem she kept her guns locked up or out of his access.

  6. #756
    Sage
    SheWolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:13 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    24,477

    Re: NRA Newtown response

    Nota,

    What do I have wrong about your argument? She taught him to shoot, which I don't feel was necessary. And she didn't keep her guns out of his ability to access them, which ended up being deadly in this case.

    Yeah, according to your article she kept a gun in a metal lockbox in the basement. That was a statement by an eyewitness. If the gun was locked away safe, then how did Lanza get them? Both can't be the truth.

  7. #757
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,082

    Re: NRA Newtown response

    Quote Originally Posted by SheWolf View Post
    I don't think it would be easy... as far as other shootings are concerned, there has been trained people and ex cops trying to take down people with little to no armor and failing to get a lethal shot.
    Naturally. Hitting a moving target with a pistol at distance is tricky. However, simply delaying / distracting an active shooter is fairly easy. I would have no problem with a first responder having biometric access to a carbine in order to make them more accurate and even up their odds of scoring a kill rather than simply knocking the shooter flat on their butt. (seriously, it's not like the body armor makes hundreds of pounds of energy just disappear - it just spreads the force over a larger area of your body) And throat / groin guards and the like are for shrapnel - not direct hits.

  8. #758
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,082

    Re: NRA Newtown response

    Quote Originally Posted by SheWolf View Post
    Why hasn't the NRA responded to any other mass shooting tragedy? That's what I want to know. I think it's a valid question, and obviously one you yourself cannot answer.
    I don't understand how it's that critical of a question. Why haven't democrats pushed for gun control in response to other mass shootings such as Aurora? You can just as easily ascribe every negative possible motivation that you can come up with for the NRA to them.

  9. #759
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,607

    Re: NRA Newtown response

    Quote Originally Posted by Higgins86 View Post
    Problem is these are the same computer games/movies countries like Japan, Germany, UK etc watch and you dont see much gun crime there. As for the whole armed guard in schools my question is where does it stop? If a gunman kills the guard and then shoots a load of kids what will be your response then? More guards? Barbed wire? Maybe a moat......

    is that any different than those who pushed the strict gun laws in CT and now want even more restrictions on law abiding gun owners?

  10. #760
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,607

    Re: NRA Newtown response

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    I don't understand how it's that critical of a question. Why haven't democrats pushed for gun control in response to other mass shootings such as Aurora? You can just as easily ascribe every negative possible motivation that you can come up with for the NRA to them.

    they do nott have a tight election looming now

    after Aurora it would have cost them lots of votes

Page 76 of 107 FirstFirst ... 2666747576777886 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •