Page 74 of 107 FirstFirst ... 2464727374757684 ... LastLast
Results 731 to 740 of 1067

Thread: NRA Newtown response [W:818]

  1. #731
    Sage
    SheWolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:39 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    24,512

    Re: NRA Newtown response

    Quote Originally Posted by nota bene View Post
    Sit in judgment when you have fully lived these particular particulars and have been a mother. Yeah, I've read the "prepper" angle too, but I've also read other info about the context of the target-practice-as-bonding-stuff. We're talking about a unique situation here. Too easy to categorize the mother and son and the psych dynamics into a convenient category when no size fits all.
    Why is it wrong to expect her to keep the guns locked up and out of his ability to just fetch at his convenience?

    It's not all his mother's fault, as it was difficult for her to get the help he needed or find the proper resources. I am sure she was a good mother, but she didn't realize how dangerous he was or what he was capable with doing with her own guns.

    Absolutely, the guy should not have been taught to handle guns...

  2. #732
    Sage
    SheWolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:39 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    24,512

    Re: NRA Newtown response

    Quote Originally Posted by nota bene View Post
    Yeah, I've read a few "prepper" pieces too. Don't reduce this to a prepper thing. Don't dismiss this as a gun-enthusiasts-are-the-problem-thing. This is a unique situation about which none of us is fully aware.
    I said sometimes gun enthusiasts are the problem. You don't see anything wrong with a mother putting automatic rifles in her baby's crib and taking pictures? She also had her toddler aiming at gun at her husband, with a towel on his like as if he were a terrorist. She thought the pictures were funny and cute. I find them disturbing and teaching her kids that guns are toys.

    Some gun enthusiasts are a problem, and I am fully sticking by my statement.

  3. #733
    Sage
    SheWolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:39 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    24,512

    Re: NRA Newtown response

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    Expected to? Meh, it's certainly possible. Even if they don't succeed in killing the shooter, they would certainly delay/distract them and thus save lives. Taking a round to body-armor isn't like the movies where you just grunt and move on - it still knocks you like getting punched by a sledgehammer.

    However, a trained individual responding to an active shooter, such as what the NRA (and we, here) suggests? Definitely.
    I don't think it would be easy... as far as other shootings are concerned, there has been trained people and ex cops trying to take down people with little to no armor and failing to get a lethal shot.

  4. #734
    Sage
    SheWolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:39 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    24,512

    Re: NRA Newtown response

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    wtf? Aurora had no-carry laws, I'm pretty sure if you were to ask the NRA if someone in the audience should have been allowed to shoot back they would answer you in the affirmative.

    This is reaching just to try to ascribe moral illegitimacy to those with whom you disagree.
    Why hasn't the NRA responded to any other mass shooting tragedy? That's what I want to know. I think it's a valid question, and obviously one you yourself cannot answer.

  5. #735
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    36,940

    Re: NRA Newtown response

    Quote Originally Posted by SheWolf View Post
    Why is it wrong to expect her to keep the guns locked up and out of his ability to just fetch at his convenience?

    It's not all his mother's fault, as it was difficult for her to get the help he needed or find the proper resources. I am sure she was a good mother, but she didn't realize how dangerous he was or what he was capable with doing with her own guns.

    Absolutely, the guy should not have been taught to handle guns...
    How do you know where Nancy Lanza kept her guns? How could she have known that her son was going to snap as he did?

  6. #736
    Sage
    SheWolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:39 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    24,512

    Re: NRA Newtown response

    Quote Originally Posted by jakiejakester View Post
    When I read someone personally attacking someone else while debating it shows me that the person attacking is losing the debate because one has to use insults rather than logic to debate. Saying "it sucks to be you" is insulting, pointless, petty, inaccurate and shows your debating skills.

    The state of Florida has a higher per capita murder rate than the state of NY. NY has much stricter gun control laws than Florida. My mother lives in Florida in Palm Beach and the murder rate there is higher than it is in NYC, palm trees notwithstanding.

    No one is saying you can't own guns - what people are saying is that AR 15 type guns have no place in a private citizen's arsenal nor do the high round clips they use. That's it. You can play with guns as much as your heart desires.

    When was the last time you used a gun to protect yourself? Why? (Do not include military examples).

    People do get killed in NYC by guns still - but at a much lower rate per capita than many other US cities. Why is that? For the most part NYC is a "gun free zone" and owning a gun is strictly regulated.

    Murder Rates Nationally and By State | Death Penalty Information Center
    You can report somebody for personally attacking you. Just click the little triangle thingy on the bottom, left hand side of his post.

  7. #737
    Sage
    SheWolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:39 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    24,512

    Re: NRA Newtown response

    Quote Originally Posted by nota bene View Post
    How do you know where Nancy Lanza kept her guns? How could she have known that her son was going to snap as he did?
    She didn't keep her guns locked and kept away from him, and that is the point. If she owns a gun, so should be responsible for securing it. To me that is common sense.

    As for the rest of your post, it doesn't matter if she was psychic or not or knew he was going to be a mass shooter or not. She should have kept her guns out of his reach. I cannot comprehend how somebody can determine their own child needs to be committed because they cannot take care of themselves and are anti social, could also believe that teaching him to use firearms is a good idea. I think she make a number of bad decisions.

    I am not attacking the weapons themselves, just arguing the mother could have done more to prevent his access to weapons. Why do you feel otherwise? Why do you think it was fine he had access to her weapons?

  8. #738
    Sage
    Caine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    10-05-17 @ 01:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    23,336

    Re: NRA Newtown response

    Quote Originally Posted by jakiejakester View Post
    You, on the other hand and all other civilians DO NOT NEED AR 15 type weapons to protect us.
    And Homosexuals DO NOT NEED to legally be able to have homo butt sex, as it does not procreate.....(don't take this the wrong way, I care less about gay people having gay sex, its an example of this "need" theory)
    You are missing the point. Nobody said anything about NEEDING (at least I haven't) an AR15. You are banning a product which many people enjoy, which also happens to be protected by a constitutional amendment for no clear reason or purpose except that it happened to be used in some shootings, and won't prevent furthur shootings. (We all remember Virginia Tech? Done with pistols)
    The point is that banning something because it is not needed is not good enough.

    You might be very capable and well trained but you're not a professional who earns his living protecting people. You can use all the other fun guns you have in your personal stash to protect yourself. I don't see how you having a weapon that has magazines or drums that hold 100 or more rounds will come into play at any point in your life to "protect" yourself in a way that your other guns won't.
    Why do people keep focusing on the 100rd fail magazine that jams and real gun knowledgeable people don't even use them?? Those 100rd drums are not the standard, they are a rarely used toy, the fact that the colorado shooter was using it probably saved lives. Ban the stupid 100rd magazine, I give a **** less really as long as that is as far as it goes.



    That's my, to use your personal insult "moronic" point. No civilian has a need for those sort of weapons to protect themselves. If that is what you need to protect yourself you must live in a part of America that I didn't know existed...an alternate universe or is it simply a make believe bubble?
    Nobody needs to have butt sex to procreate either.....
    "I condemn the ideology of White Supremacy and Nazism. They are thugs, criminals, and repugnant, and are against what I believe to be "The American Way" "
    Thus my obligatory condemnation of White supremacy will now be in every post, lest I be accused of supporting it because I didn't mention it specifically every time I post.

  9. #739
    Sage
    Caine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    10-05-17 @ 01:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    23,336

    Re: NRA Newtown response

    Quote Originally Posted by TaraAnne View Post
    In this case a handgun would have done nothing he was armed to the teeth and body armor. Sorry those that think a hand gun would have helped are flat wrong. I do see your point but in this case it a no go!
    A. No body armor. thats a fallacy.

    B. It doesn't matter how many guns one has, their guns won't protect them from a well placed shot that they were not expecting.
    "I condemn the ideology of White Supremacy and Nazism. They are thugs, criminals, and repugnant, and are against what I believe to be "The American Way" "
    Thus my obligatory condemnation of White supremacy will now be in every post, lest I be accused of supporting it because I didn't mention it specifically every time I post.

  10. #740
    Sage
    Caine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    10-05-17 @ 01:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    23,336

    Re: NRA Newtown response

    Quote Originally Posted by SheWolf View Post
    The NRA sounds like they condemn designated gun free zones. Should we all be allowed to pack heat in airports and now, and hire armed guards there as well.... libraries, congress, state capitals, government offices, etc.?

    Is more guns and armed guards a universal solution?
    No, but if you are going to disarm someone via a "gun free zone" then you need to have trained and reliable armed security personnel present.
    "I condemn the ideology of White Supremacy and Nazism. They are thugs, criminals, and repugnant, and are against what I believe to be "The American Way" "
    Thus my obligatory condemnation of White supremacy will now be in every post, lest I be accused of supporting it because I didn't mention it specifically every time I post.

Page 74 of 107 FirstFirst ... 2464727374757684 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •