Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 127

Thread: Firearm Found Inside Mpls. School Staff Memberís Locker

  1. #31
    Sage
    Mycroft's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:16 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    25,864

    Re: Firearm Found Inside Mpls. School Staff Memberís Locker

    Quote Originally Posted by notquiteright View Post
    I'd say that like you my conviction was facing out at foreign enemies, not defending the halls of a school. I'd love to see the 'gun' bearers switch careers and become educators or part-time protectors inside the schools. if you want more 'guns' in schools be one.
    If I were not semi-retired and if I had the qualifications to be a teacher, I would be very willing to put my combat training and experience to use while I'm teaching the youngsters.

    But...since I'm AM semi-retired and since I DON'T have the qualifications to be a teacher, I am perfectly happy to express my opinion on forums such as this one.

    btw, my combat training and experience would be perfectly suitable and effective for defending the halls of a school.
    TANSTAAFL

    ďAn armed society is a polite society.Ē
    ― Robert A. Heinlein, Beyond This Horizon

  2. #32
    Sage
    Mycroft's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:16 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    25,864

    Re: Firearm Found Inside Mpls. School Staff Memberís Locker

    Quote Originally Posted by Cole View Post
    Maybe the gun toting old lady just got pranked? The day before in the teacher's lounge, some guy stands up and sez "You know what we all oughta do?? Beginning tomorrow we all start packin' heat!! If some crazy guy invades the school we will all be ready to blast the evil bastard...!!!".


    And the teacher who got arrested was the only one who didn't catch on that he was just bull****ting....
    She's in her late 50's...that's hardly "old". Heck, my ex-wife is in her early 50's and she hunts deer and elk every year.

    The teacher also has a concealed carry permit and carries a .357 magnum. Somehow, I don't think she's likely to get pranked.
    TANSTAAFL

    ďAn armed society is a polite society.Ē
    ― Robert A. Heinlein, Beyond This Horizon

  3. #33
    pawn in the game of life
    pragmatic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Last Seen
    10-17-17 @ 05:33 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,984

    Re: Firearm Found Inside Mpls. School Staff Memberís Locker

    Quote Originally Posted by Mycroft View Post
    She's in her late 50's...that's hardly "old". Heck, my ex-wife is in her early 50's and she hunts deer and elk every year.

    The teacher also has a concealed carry permit and carries a .357 magnum. Somehow, I don't think she's likely to get pranked.
    (it was a joke....)


    /facepalm


    ďBuild a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.Ē

  4. #34
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    okla-freakin-homa
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:24 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    12,620

    Re: Firearm Found Inside Mpls. School Staff Memberís Locker

    Quote Originally Posted by Mycroft View Post
    If I were not semi-retired and if I had the qualifications to be a teacher, I would be very willing to put my combat training and experience to use while I'm teaching the youngsters.

    But...since I'm AM semi-retired and since I DON'T have the qualifications to be a teacher, I am perfectly happy to express my opinion on forums such as this one.

    btw, my combat training and experience would be perfectly suitable and effective for defending the halls of a school.
    My combat training and experience wouldn't, there wouldn't be much left of said halls...

    Many security guards in schools are retired cops, don't need to hump a ruck or jump out of perfectly good aircraft... if middle aged females are expected to start carrying firearms and get into shoot-outs in crowded classrooms or long corridors then I'd reckon so too can semi-retired combat vets...

    I see a lot of upside to semi-retired experienced folks, such as yourself, pulling guard over our precious ones.

    First many 'conservatives' hate the idea of our education system spending billions more so stipends for vets in schools should warm the cockles of their thrifty hearts.

    Next 'conservatives' feel teachers are just one May Day away from Stalinism, or too liberal weak to man-up and be responsible for the safety of their children with deadly force so few of them would want to CCW.

    Next the part-time guards won't be Union positions and so would not be eligible for Obamacare insurance.

    'Conservatives' can step up and show the weak liberals what a bit of steel behind a firearm can do for society. Who better to show everyone to include the children what positives comes from responsible firearm ownership? 'Conservatives' can start the long march back to a day when firearms were not feared on sight.

    Anyway, sit and complain, demand others do the protecting, at the end of the day many 'conservatives' are more like the liberals they decry than they would care to admit.

    Nothing wrong with that, just as long as we are honest about it...

  5. #35
    Sage
    Mycroft's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:16 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    25,864

    Re: Firearm Found Inside Mpls. School Staff Memberís Locker

    Quote Originally Posted by notquiteright View Post
    My combat training and experience wouldn't, there wouldn't be much left of said halls...

    Who cares? I mean, about your combat experience? You don't want guards in schools anyway. You think taking away guns is a better course.

    Many security guards in schools are retired cops, don't need to hump a ruck or jump out of perfectly good aircraft... if middle aged females are expected to start carrying firearms and get into shoot-outs in crowded classrooms or long corridors then I'd reckon so too can semi-retired combat vets...

    I see a lot of upside to semi-retired experienced folks, such as yourself, pulling guard over our precious ones.

    First many 'conservatives' hate the idea of our education system spending billions more so stipends for vets in schools should warm the cockles of their thrifty hearts.

    Next 'conservatives' feel teachers are just one May Day away from Stalinism, or too liberal weak to man-up and be responsible for the safety of their children with deadly force so few of them would want to CCW.

    Next the part-time guards won't be Union positions and so would not be eligible for Obamacare insurance.

    'Conservatives' can step up and show the weak liberals what a bit of steel behind a firearm can do for society. Who better to show everyone to include the children what positives comes from responsible firearm ownership? 'Conservatives' can start the long march back to a day when firearms were not feared on sight.

    Anyway, sit and complain, demand others do the protecting, at the end of the day many 'conservatives' are more like the liberals they decry than they would care to admit.

    Nothing wrong with that, just as long as we are honest about it...
    Besides the fact that your post is riddled with stereotypes, your whole basic point is wrong. Conservatives aren't "demanding others do the protecting". They simply want the opportunity to do the protecting. That opportunity is what liberals are determined to deny them.
    TANSTAAFL

    ďAn armed society is a polite society.Ē
    ― Robert A. Heinlein, Beyond This Horizon

  6. #36
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    okla-freakin-homa
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:24 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    12,620

    Re: Firearm Found Inside Mpls. School Staff Memberís Locker

    Quote Originally Posted by Mycroft View Post
    Besides the fact that your post is riddled with stereotypes, your whole basic point is wrong. Conservatives aren't "demanding others do the protecting". They simply want the opportunity to do the protecting. That opportunity is what liberals are determined to deny them.
    And yet these 'conservatives' are drafting bills to require teachers to carry weapons, are demanding some one else do something, and when offered the opportunity to do just what you say, to step up and protect, they demur. Can't take advantage of the opportunity to protect our schools from the couch.

  7. #37
    Sage
    Mycroft's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:16 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    25,864

    Re: Firearm Found Inside Mpls. School Staff Memberís Locker

    Quote Originally Posted by notquiteright View Post
    And yet these 'conservatives' are drafting bills to require teachers to carry weapons, are demanding some one else do something, and when offered the opportunity to do just what you say, to step up and protect, they demur. Can't take advantage of the opportunity to protect our schools from the couch.
    LOL!!!

    Yeah...you should try to pass that line of BS on the lady who took her gun to school. What was stopping HER from standing up to protect the kids?
    TANSTAAFL

    ďAn armed society is a polite society.Ē
    ― Robert A. Heinlein, Beyond This Horizon

  8. #38
    King of Videos
    dirtpoorchris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    WA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,022

    Re: Firearm Found Inside Mpls. School Staff Memberís Locker

    It would be great to have vets guard the halls of the fruit of our nation. Give them a sense of extra worth and welcome after they are done serving.
    I'm Finding it Harder to be a Gentleman, White Stripes ~ "You think I care about me and only me. When every girl needs help climbing up a tree."

  9. #39
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Last Seen
    04-03-13 @ 11:16 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    458

    Re: Firearm Found Inside Mpls. School Staff Memberís Locker

    I wish the feds and states has this type of zero tolerance for domestic abusers, drunk drivers, dishonorable discharges and the mentally who somehow fly under the radar and get hold of a firearm.

    When a sex offender is released from jail, the local police are notified. Why isn't this done for restraining orders, domestic abusers, dishonorable discharges, etc.? Letters should be automatically sent out informing local police that this person is not allowed to own a firearm. Police can ask for consent to search the home or apartment if they suspect the person is lying about owning a gun.

    And if sex offenders are prevented from living near schools, then why shouldn't people with records or mental illness be prevented from living in homes with legal guns?

    If your adult child comes home from jail to live with you, then an unsecured weapon should be a crime.

    Jesus, it just occurred to me that if anyone on the NICS list uses a credit card at a gun store or internet site that sells guns, this should set off an alarm and a call to the local police department. There is no excuse for these safety measures not being in place.

  10. #40
    Sage
    Mycroft's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:16 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    25,864

    Re: Firearm Found Inside Mpls. School Staff Memberís Locker

    Quote Originally Posted by mr4anarchy View Post
    I wish the feds and states has this type of zero tolerance for domestic abusers, drunk drivers, dishonorable discharges and the mentally who somehow fly under the radar and get hold of a firearm.

    When a sex offender is released from jail, the local police are notified. Why isn't this done for restraining orders, domestic abusers, dishonorable discharges, etc.? Letters should be automatically sent out informing local police that this person is not allowed to own a firearm. Police can ask for consent to search the home or apartment if they suspect the person is lying about owning a gun.

    And if sex offenders are prevented from living near schools, then why shouldn't people with records or mental illness be prevented from living in homes with legal guns?

    If your adult child comes home from jail to live with you, then an unsecured weapon should be a crime.

    Jesus, it just occurred to me that if anyone on the NICS list uses a credit card at a gun store or internet site that sells guns, this should set off an alarm and a call to the local police department. There is no excuse for these safety measures not being in place.
    Your comments, while important, really have nothing to do with this thread (we are talking about an employee of a school who is in her 50's) or about the Newtown event (that young man wasn't identified as anything for the police to be concerned about).

    I suggest you start a thread on your topic.
    TANSTAAFL

    ďAn armed society is a polite society.Ē
    ― Robert A. Heinlein, Beyond This Horizon

Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •