Page 39 of 48 FirstFirst ... 293738394041 ... LastLast
Results 381 to 390 of 472

Thread: Bin Laden film attacked for 'perpetuating torture myth'

  1. #381
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:03 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,290
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Bin Laden film attacked for 'perpetuating torture myth'

    Quote Originally Posted by ecofarm View Post
    Because you should know so, most people do. It's pretty obvious.
    SO you basically are admitting that your belief is based on faith. I prefer evidence and facts myself. Get back to me when you have some/.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  2. #382
    global liberation

    ecofarm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Miami
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    66,325

    Re: Bin Laden film attacked for 'perpetuating torture myth'

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    SO you basically are admitting that your belief is based on faith. I prefer evidence and facts myself. Get back to me when you have some/.
    I'm not admitting any such thing. Is putting words in others' mouths your standard technique? You just turn someone into a strawman, swipe at it and move on? Have fun.

  3. #383
    Sometimes wrong

    ttwtt78640's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Uhland, Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:03 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    34,565

    Re: Bin Laden film attacked for 'perpetuating torture myth'

    Quote Originally Posted by DaveFagan View Post
    Isn't "waterboarding" specifically addressed as torture and illegal under the Geneva Conventions that the USA is signatory to?
    Probably, but that was intended to be applied to uniformed service personnel fighting in a "conventional" war. I doubt that suicide bombers attacking civilians or flying commercial aircraft into commercial buildings is permitted under that "agreement" either. Wars with rules are no longer the norm.
    “The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists to adapt the world to himself.
    Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” ― George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman

  4. #384
    global liberation

    ecofarm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Miami
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    66,325

    Re: Bin Laden film attacked for 'perpetuating torture myth'

    Redress, you're in luck!

    I'm bored. So, here's what we can do. I'll present an article (a blog) that illustrates how torture for verifiable information does, in fact, work. It's (presumably) a real world, true, example of such.

    Are you ready?

    As in previous cases, torture was used to obtain a PIN number, a type of specific, verifiable information. Unlike some people who claim to be experts on interrogation, criminals are well-aware that torture can be a viable tool for getting accurate information from a reluctant prisoner. Like all interrogation methods, success or failure depends on the who is asking the questions, the subject, the information in question, and various other factors that may differ in each case.
    The Unreligious Right: Torture Works Again




    Ok, did that change your mind?

  5. #385
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:03 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,290
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Bin Laden film attacked for 'perpetuating torture myth'

    Quote Originally Posted by ecofarm View Post
    Redress, you're in luck!

    I'm bored. So, here's what we can do. I'll present an article (a blog) that illustrates how torture for verifiable information does, in fact, work. It's (presumably) a real world, true, example of such.

    Are you ready?



    The Unreligious Right: Torture Works Again




    Ok, did that change your mind?
    So editorials are evidence now?
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  6. #386
    global liberation

    ecofarm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Miami
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    66,325

    Re: Bin Laden film attacked for 'perpetuating torture myth'

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    So editorials are evidence now?
    The evidence is the case cited therein. We'll call it "n1". There are countless examples, real world, of such success.

  7. #387
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:03 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,290
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Bin Laden film attacked for 'perpetuating torture myth'

    Quote Originally Posted by ecofarm View Post
    The evidence is the case cited therein.
    Except it is not. You apparently did not read.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  8. #388
    global liberation

    ecofarm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Miami
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    66,325

    Re: Bin Laden film attacked for 'perpetuating torture myth'

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    Except it is not. You apparently did not read.
    What? A case is cited in which specific verifiable information was extracted via torture. There are countless real world, actual, happened, examples of such. But you're just gonna continue to deny reality?

  9. #389
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:03 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,290
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Bin Laden film attacked for 'perpetuating torture myth'

    Quote Originally Posted by ecofarm View Post
    What? A case is cited in which specific verifiable information was extracted via torture. There are countless real world, actual, happened, examples of such. But you're just gonna continue to deny reality?
    No, information was extracted via interrogation. Whether the torture was the reason for the information being given up is unknown. I realize you have to accept things on faith, but for those who actually like facts, and who analyze what we read, there are lots of unanswered questions here.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  10. #390
    global liberation

    ecofarm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Miami
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    66,325

    Re: Bin Laden film attacked for 'perpetuating torture myth'

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    No, information was extracted via interrogation. Whether the torture was the reason for the information being given up is unknown. I realize you have to accept things on faith, but for those who actually like facts, and who analyze what we read, there are lots of unanswered questions here.
    Your claim that torture, the only thing the criminal reportedly did, did not extract the information is blind denial. You really think it is impossible to extract verifiable information via torture? How does that make any sense? How can you deny this reality?

    This is exactly what I claimed would happen, though I didn't foresee the slew of personal attacks. Dude, I'm atheist and a PhD candidate. Where does this "accept things on faith" and other BS you're throwing come from?

    Can someone debate without your turning them into a strawman by putting words in their mouth and calling them an idiot? What base and deplorable tactics. And you're a mod?
    Last edited by ecofarm; 01-07-13 at 01:36 PM.

Page 39 of 48 FirstFirst ... 293738394041 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •