Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 36

Thread: Stocks: Investors on edge over the cliff

  1. #21
    Sage
    Khayembii Communique's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Milwaukee, WI
    Last Seen
    12-15-17 @ 07:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    7,897

    Re: Stocks: Investors on edge over the cliff

    Quote Originally Posted by Born Free View Post
    Like I said there are some that think there is no end to the money supply, just keep borrowing and spending into oblivion.
    Well, that straw man is certainly not what I said. I made a very clear truism that you are now running with to your own unfounded conclusions.

    Your right Obama is financing spending through debt at the tune of over 1 trillion a yr.
    No, the federal government is. Obama does not have 1 trillion dollars a year. In fact, he only makes about $400,000 IIRC.

    All joking aside, though, the government has been doing this for quite some time and started many presidents before Obama. It just gained prominence under Bush because of their deficit spending.

    and of course it doesn't have to pay down the debt just keep paying interest to China.
    It doesn't pay interest to China, it pays interest to all bondholders. I don't see what is wrong with this; maybe you do, but then again you apparently don't know much about how US Treasury Bonds work.

    In boom times, can you tell me when the next boom is going to happen?
    I don't see how this is relevant unless you believe that the US economy will never pick up again at which point I would say you are delusional.

    Of course not, to a guy that thinks there is an endless supply of money
    There is no such thing as an endless supply of money.

    you would never have to balance the budget, just keep borrowing a trillion plus a yr until eternity. How stupid of me.
    Again straw man. You people love going off on this unfounded tangent every time this is brought up. I wonder why you can't simply engage what I have said? Hmmm...

    Ignorance, complete ignorance is on your part, to think we can continue to borrow a trillion a yr for eternity is complete ignorance.
    Straw man.

    To think Greece and Spain who no one will lend money too, and that we could never be in the same spot is complete ignorance.
    Greece and Spain are completely different scenarios than the United States, and to compare them is to show your complete ignorance of the difference between apples and oranges.
    "I do not claim that every incident in the history of empire can be explained in directly economic terms. Economic interests are filtered through a political process, policies are implemented by a complex state apparatus, and the whole system generates its own momentum."

  2. #22
    Sage
    Erod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    North Texas
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:47 AM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    13,073

    Re: Stocks: Investors on edge over the cliff

    Quote Originally Posted by poweRob View Post
    So tell us good sir... if George Soros and Saul Alinsky are pulling strings to make this happen, what do they gain out of it? Except higher taxes on themselves?
    Well, one is dead, one has already made his billions that can't be taxed again. Soros loves to screw with the financial markets. He's everything liberals should hate because he's the classic venture capitalist and Wall Street manipulator, yet you love him because he supports liberal candidates.

    This makes it much harder to BECOME a billionaire. Keeps the membership low for those that already are.

  3. #23
    Sage
    Khayembii Communique's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Milwaukee, WI
    Last Seen
    12-15-17 @ 07:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    7,897

    Re: Stocks: Investors on edge over the cliff

    Quote Originally Posted by Erod View Post
    Well, one is dead, one has already made his billions that can't be taxed again. Soros loves to screw with the financial markets. He's everything liberals should hate because he's the classic venture capitalist and Wall Street manipulator, yet you love him because he supports liberal candidates.

    This makes it much harder to BECOME a billionaire. Keeps the membership low for those that already are.
    So Soros is just trolling, is basically your argument?
    "I do not claim that every incident in the history of empire can be explained in directly economic terms. Economic interests are filtered through a political process, policies are implemented by a complex state apparatus, and the whole system generates its own momentum."

  4. #24
    Engineer

    RabidAlpaca's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    American in Europe
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:30 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    14,587

    Re: Stocks: Investors on edge over the cliff

    Quote Originally Posted by Tonawanda View Post
    "Investors' nerves are wearing thin as gridlock continues in the fiscal cliff negotiations"

    I wouldn't expect much to change if a deal is made. Its already built into the current positions. If it isn't made, who knows how bad it could be, especially now with the president adding a new deadly issue with a January deadline.

    January could be a very ugly month for the stock market.





    Premarkets: Investors on edge over the fiscal cliff - Dec. 20, 2012
    I spend about 3-4 hours a day trading and I think it has less to do with the fiscal cliff and more to do with Bernanke's recent announcement that the fed will be printing more bucks. Sh*t went wild after that. The fiscal cliff the investors saw coming and priced in ahead of time.
    Quote Originally Posted by LowDown View Post
    I've got to say that it is shadenfreudalicious to see the rich and famous fucquewads on the coast suffering from the fires.

  5. #25
    Educator Tonawanda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Buffalo NY
    Last Seen
    02-13-17 @ 07:03 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    608

    Re: Stocks: Investors on edge over the cliff

    [QUOTE=Khayembii Communique;1061271165]

    So you don't think that investor outlook will change given a change in the economic environment, even though those positions to which you refer are based on this specific issue?

    And what of people that have taken the position of a deal being made?
    I'm not sure what you are asking.

    If investors were priced in assuming a deal would be made, and it was made, not much would change for them in the short term.

    If investors did not anticipate a deal, and it was made, their outlook would likely improve and they might invest improving the market.

    However, would a deal, or no deal change the economic environment? Perhaps in the minds of the investors. There are battles to be fought in January, and in my opinion will that will keep consumer confidence down.
    Language is political. Each of us talks, listens, and thinks in his/her own special language that has been shaped by our culture, experiences, profession, personality, mores and attitudes. The chances of us meeting someone else who talks the exact same language is pretty remote.

  6. #26
    Sage
    poweRob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:41 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    35,099

    Re: Stocks: Investors on edge over the cliff

    Quote Originally Posted by Erod View Post
    Well, one is dead, one has already made his billions that can't be taxed again. Soros loves to screw with the financial markets. He's everything liberals should hate because he's the classic venture capitalist and Wall Street manipulator, yet you love him because he supports liberal candidates.

    This makes it much harder to BECOME a billionaire. Keeps the membership low for those that already are.
    So Soros is just playing games for the hell of it and Saul's ghost is giving dictation to Obama on what to do 40 years after his death?
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    The sad fact is that having a pedophile win is better than having a Democrat in office. I'm all for a solution where a Republican gets in that isn't Moore.

  7. #27
    Educator Tonawanda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Buffalo NY
    Last Seen
    02-13-17 @ 07:03 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    608

    Re: Stocks: Investors on edge over the cliff

    Quote Originally Posted by RabidAlpaca View Post
    I spend about 3-4 hours a day trading and I think it has less to do with the fiscal cliff and more to do with Bernanke's recent announcement that the fed will be printing more bucks. Sh*t went wild after that. The fiscal cliff the investors saw coming and priced in ahead of time.
    Ok.

    Would you care to share with us what you think could have the biggest impact on the market for the next month or so?
    Language is political. Each of us talks, listens, and thinks in his/her own special language that has been shaped by our culture, experiences, profession, personality, mores and attitudes. The chances of us meeting someone else who talks the exact same language is pretty remote.

  8. #28
    Guru

    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Last Seen
    11-24-13 @ 11:44 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    3,001

    Re: Stocks: Investors on edge over the cliff


  9. #29
    Sage
    Khayembii Communique's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Milwaukee, WI
    Last Seen
    12-15-17 @ 07:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    7,897

    Re: Stocks: Investors on edge over the cliff

    Quote Originally Posted by johnny_rebson View Post
    They will negotiate after this fails. I wouldn't be surprised if in their "frank" talks Boehner told Obama he was going to do this to minimize a revolt of their base when they do inevitably compromise.
    Last edited by Khayembii Communique; 12-20-12 at 04:38 PM.
    "I do not claim that every incident in the history of empire can be explained in directly economic terms. Economic interests are filtered through a political process, policies are implemented by a complex state apparatus, and the whole system generates its own momentum."

  10. #30
    Sage
    Khayembii Communique's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Milwaukee, WI
    Last Seen
    12-15-17 @ 07:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    7,897

    Re: Stocks: Investors on edge over the cliff

    "I do not claim that every incident in the history of empire can be explained in directly economic terms. Economic interests are filtered through a political process, policies are implemented by a complex state apparatus, and the whole system generates its own momentum."

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •