Page 11 of 26 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast
Results 101 to 110 of 251

Thread: Obama taps Biden to craft new policies to curb gun violence in wake of shooting

  1. #101
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,618

    Re: Obama taps Biden to craft new policies to curb gun violence in wake of shooting

    Quote Originally Posted by Catawba View Post
    How does a gun that you claim only has cosmetic differences, protect you better than other guns available?
    Wait...are you suggesting I should use a basic .308 hunting rifle instead of an AR 15 for home defense???

  2. #102
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:43 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,606

    Re: Obama taps Biden to craft new policies to curb gun violence in wake of shooting

    Quote Originally Posted by notquiteright View Post
    Ahhh arrogance, thy name be turtledud

    Doesn't matter how good a shot you think you are or how bad you think I might be- mag cap for rifles set at 20 works for me... good enough when I carried the Mattel toy on a two way range, good enough now that I am a veteran. Nothing you can't do with 20 that you would need 30 for off a one way play day range unless the objective is mass murder but another guy pointed out you can kill lots of people with quick mag changes...

    Hope that helps you understand...


    so you don't have a rational argument.

    color me surprised

    Not

    you cannot fashion a single argument that would convince anyone with some degree of objectivity

  3. #103
    Sage
    mike2810's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    arizona
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:13 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    14,997

    Re: Obama taps Biden to craft new policies to curb gun violence in wake of shooting

    Reducing the magazine capacity for "safety" is such illogical thinking. So what size should the mag be?
    Is the thinking that 20 is safer than 30, or nine is safer, or 1?
    Well then lets all go a back to 55mph in our vehicles, its safer than 75. Wait lets make it 25 and include breath analyzers in all vehicles to ensure we don't drive drunk.

    The mass shooting events are tragic. Looking at the weapon is a very small part. Finding out what is causing these people to go off and correcting that will do more than any gun laws.

  4. #104
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    okla-freakin-homa
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 05:09 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    12,619

    Re: Obama taps Biden to craft new policies to curb gun violence in wake of shooting

    Quote Originally Posted by VanceMack View Post
    2 reasons. 1-because the second doesn't JUST protect my right to self defense weapons and 2-because some people ****ing WANT them. The like to shoot 30 rounders at the range and enjoy sport shooting. Dood...the absolute reality is that an average of TWO people out of 330 MILLION per year commit some sort of a spree type killing and NOT always (less than 25% of the time) use semi automatic rifles. It's not even a great majority...it's virtually ALL firearm owners with those 30 fond magazines are responsible law abiding citizens. Considering the facts it is is PATHETIC it is even a consideration.

    2 seconds isn't exactly speed loading btw. Mag release takes no time and hand to mag mag and round chambered isn't a great task. A 20 year old kid just did it 3 times with no one around to stop him.
    What 'other than' right past self defense do you think you need? I used 20 round mags back in the day.

    people want all kindsa things, fully automatic weapons without all the paperwork... everything a grunt of cop has, to marry their same sex partner...lotsa wants out there

    They would like to spend the day shooting belt fed, firing from the open bolt position machineguns.

    I do a bit of pistol shooting my point was you can't miss fast enough, rapid reload of any mag isn't a big deal I agree.

  5. #105
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    okla-freakin-homa
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 05:09 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    12,619

    Re: Obama taps Biden to craft new policies to curb gun violence in wake of shooting

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    so you don't have a rational argument.

    color me surprised

    Not

    you cannot fashion a single argument that would convince anyone with some degree of objectivity
    You don't see other people's opinions as rational, color me surprised...

  6. #106
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,618

    Re: Obama taps Biden to craft new policies to curb gun violence in wake of shooting

    Quote Originally Posted by notquiteright View Post
    What 'other than' right past self defense do you think you need? I used 20 round mags back in the day.

    people want all kindsa things, fully automatic weapons without all the paperwork... everything a grunt of cop has, to marry their same sex partner...lotsa wants out there

    They would like to spend the day shooting belt fed, firing from the open bolt position machineguns.

    I do a bit of pistol shooting my point was you can't miss fast enough, rapid reload of any mag isn't a big deal I agree.
    30 round magazines would be standard capacity if they were ever needed to function in the capacity of, say, the unorganized militia as specified in the US Code. Or to repel a foreign invader as a last line of national defense. Or...against a tyrannical government that might consider abandoning the Constitution. All VERY unlikely scenarios...agreed. So lets go back to the original statement...because they WANT them.

    Look...face facts...YOU are considering a ban on an issue that you KNOW would make absolutely NO difference...for the mere sake of passing a ban. That's...not only far less than brilliant...it is corrupt.

  7. #107
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    okla-freakin-homa
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 05:09 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    12,619

    Re: Obama taps Biden to craft new policies to curb gun violence in wake of shooting

    Quote Originally Posted by VanceMack View Post
    30 round magazines would be standard capacity if they were ever needed to function in the capacity of, say, the unorganized militia as specified in the US Code. Or to repel a foreign invader as a last line of national defense. Or...against a tyrannical government that might consider abandoning the Constitution. All VERY unlikely scenarios...agreed. So lets go back to the original statement...because they WANT them.

    Look...face facts...YOU are considering a ban on an issue that you KNOW would make absolutely NO difference...for the mere sake of passing a ban. That's...not only far less than brilliant...it is corrupt.
    As a guy who carried the M16A1 as part of the Regular Army I can assure you a semi-automatic weapon does good service with 20 round mags and you do much better in the prone with a 20 round mag sticking out the bottom. Remember it will be a two way range- make yourself a small target.

    Now the function of the unorganized militia is to feed men into more organized units, a mass of men to draw from, not to form up and march to the sound of cannon. It also has an age limit, are you saying that the militia style weapons are to be surrendered once we age out? We need to turn in our ARs n AKs once we get social security?

    You are the one saying the mag cap makes no difference, please don't throw that on me. I asked if it makes no difference then why insist on having them? Your basic argument for them is WANT, yet people want everything from machineguns to gay marriage.

    Personally I would lean for higher funding of mental healthcare, but I don't see accepting 20 round magazines for semi-automatic rifles as enabling a tyrannical gubmint or endangering the 2nd Amendment.

    But like I said I carried 20 round mags for my select fire gubmint issue M16A1, never felt under mag'd

  8. #108
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,618

    Obama taps Biden to craft new policies to curb gun violence in wake of shooting

    Quote Originally Posted by notquiteright View Post
    As a guy who carried the M16A1 as part of the Regular Army I can assure you a semi-automatic weapon does good service with 20 round mags and you do much better in the prone with a 20 round mag sticking out the bottom. Remember it will be a two way range- make yourself a small target.

    Now the function of the unorganized militia is to feed men into more organized units, a mass of men to draw from, not to form up and march to the sound of cannon. It also has an age limit, are you saying that the militia style weapons are to be surrendered once we age out? We need to turn in our ARs n AKs once we get social security?

    You are the one saying the mag cap makes no difference, please don't throw that on me. I asked if it makes no difference then why insist on having them? Your basic argument for them is WANT, yet people want everything from machineguns to gay marriage.

    Personally I would lean for higher funding of mental healthcare, but I don't see accepting 20 round magazines for semi-automatic rifles as enabling a tyrannical gubmint or endangering the 2nd Amendment.

    But like I said I carried 20 round mags for my select fire gubmint issue M16A1, never felt under mag'd
    so you ARE actually suggesting a magazine capacity ban would prevent these incidents? My bad...I assumed you were corrupt... Not foolish.

    I spent 20 years in the military. My semiauto rifles have 10 and 15 round mags. I personally don't care if the mags are 20 or 100 round drums. I oppose idiotic laws passed by weak minded people under the pretense that they care or are actually accomplishing something.

  9. #109
    Disappointed Evolutionist
    Catawba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    05-28-13 @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    27,254

    Re: Obama taps Biden to craft new policies to curb gun violence in wake of shooting

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    you just don't get it

    you gun haters who want to harass us gun owners want to ban guns incrementally. start with scary looks you will continue to take more and more and more



    and magazine limits are substantive

    I have a great idea, if owning a gun causes you to lose sleep or the control of parts of your body, don't OWN one

    but stop pretending your motivations for trying to restrict what other citizens own given your motivations are based on a desire to harass people who don't buy into your agenda

    You did not answer the question. "How does a gun that you claim only has cosmetic differences, protect you better than other guns available?
    Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children. We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children. ~ Ancient American Indian Proverb

  10. #110
    Disappointed Evolutionist
    Catawba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    05-28-13 @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    27,254

    Re: Obama taps Biden to craft new policies to curb gun violence in wake of shooting

    Quote Originally Posted by VanceMack View Post
    Wait...are you suggesting I should use a basic .308 hunting rifle instead of an AR 15 for home defense???

    Use the guns that fanatics have claimed for years are no different than the assault weapons, except cosmetically.
    Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children. We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children. ~ Ancient American Indian Proverb

Page 11 of 26 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •