Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 55

Thread: Robert Bork Dies at 85

  1. #41
    Slayer of the DP Newsbot
    danarhea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:39 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    39,756

    Re: Robert Bork Dies at 85

    Quote Originally Posted by poweRob View Post
    So did Oliver North... but in both instances they were unlawful orders according to our judicial system.
    To be honest, and give some deference to Mistervitis, impeachment is not a criminal process, but a political one. There is a lot of speculation that Nixon resigned right after being impeached in order to avoid possible criminal charges, but we will never know.
    The ghost of Jack Kevorkian for President's Physician: 2016

  2. #42
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Huntsville, AL
    Last Seen
    03-03-17 @ 10:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    13,813

    Re: Robert Bork Dies at 85

    Quote Originally Posted by poweRob View Post
    Nader v Bork

    It was illegal... says the courts.

    Supreme Court precedents were cited in Nader v. Bork; the Court has held that an executive department may not discharge one of its officers in a manner inconsistent with its own regulations. Under the Department of Justice special prosecutor charter, Mr. Cox could only be removed for ''extraordinary impropriety.'' Yet Mr. Bork chose to override Supreme Court interpretations in favor of his own narrow interpretation of the charter.

    link...

    Nader is the mutha-****in' man.
    Okay. I relent.

    "The Court declares that Archibald Cox, appointed Watergate Special Prosecutor pursuant to 28 C.F.R. § 0.37 (1973), was illegally discharged from that office."

    I disagree but you win.

  3. #43
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Huntsville, AL
    Last Seen
    03-03-17 @ 10:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    13,813

    Re: Robert Bork Dies at 85

    Quote Originally Posted by danarhea View Post
    You can call it anything you want. Hell, you can call it a ham sandwich on rye, if you want to, but obstruction of justice is obstruction of justice.
    No. But you win anyway. The court sided against him for illegally firing the special prosecutor. It was an administrative technicality having to do with promises to the Congress. I disagree but my disagreement does not matter.

  4. #44
    Sage
    poweRob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    35,096

    Re: Robert Bork Dies at 85

    Quote Originally Posted by danarhea View Post
    To be honest, and give some deference to Mistervitis, impeachment is not a criminal process, but a political one. There is a lot of speculation that Nixon resigned right after being impeached in order to avoid possible criminal charges, but we will never know.
    True but in Nader v Bork the court ruled Bork's actions illegal.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    The sad fact is that having a pedophile win is better than having a Democrat in office. I'm all for a solution where a Republican gets in that isn't Moore.

  5. #45
    Sage
    poweRob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    35,096

    Re: Robert Bork Dies at 85

    Quote Originally Posted by Misterveritis View Post
    Okay. I relent.

    "The Court declares that Archibald Cox, appointed Watergate Special Prosecutor pursuant to 28 C.F.R. § 0.37 (1973), was illegally discharged from that office."

    I disagree but you win.
    Naked victory dance time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    The sad fact is that having a pedophile win is better than having a Democrat in office. I'm all for a solution where a Republican gets in that isn't Moore.

  6. #46
    Slayer of the DP Newsbot
    danarhea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:39 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    39,756

    Re: Robert Bork Dies at 85

    Quote Originally Posted by Misterveritis View Post
    No. But you win anyway. The court sided against him for illegally firing the special prosecutor. It was an administrative technicality having to do with promises to the Congress. I disagree but my disagreement does not matter.
    There is a lot of very interesting stuff about Watergate. In Plamondon vs. the United States, the Supreme Court held that wiretapping was a serious crime. SCOTUS made their decision on a Friday, but instead of releasing it that day, mysteriously decided to wait until the following Monday. That weekend was when the Watergate burglars were caught. There is speculation that they were not there to bug the Democratic offices, but to remove bugs that they had already installed before, so that the Nixon administration would not run afoul of the law, because a little birdie sitting on the bench told them about the Plamondon decision when it was actually made. LOL.
    The ghost of Jack Kevorkian for President's Physician: 2016

  7. #47
    Sage
    poweRob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    35,096

    Re: Robert Bork Dies at 85

    Quote Originally Posted by danarhea View Post
    There is a lot of very interesting stuff about Watergate. In Plamondon vs. the United States, the Supreme Court held that wiretapping was a serious crime. SCOTUS made their decision on a Friday, but instead of releasing it that day, mysteriously decided to wait until the following Monday. That weekend was when the Watergate burglars were caught. There is speculation that they were not there to bug the Democratic offices, but to remove bugs that they had already installed before, so that the Nixon administration would not run afoul of the law, because a little birdie sitting on the bench told them about the Plamondon decision when it was actually made. LOL.
    All that criminality it took to establish legal boundries... all wiped out by the Patriot Act.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    The sad fact is that having a pedophile win is better than having a Democrat in office. I'm all for a solution where a Republican gets in that isn't Moore.

  8. #48
    Slayer of the DP Newsbot
    danarhea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:39 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    39,756

    Re: Robert Bork Dies at 85

    Quote Originally Posted by poweRob View Post
    All that criminality it took to establish legal boundries... all wiped out by the Patriot Act.
    Actually, the Patriot Act was nothing more than an extension of Clinton's 1994 Antiterrorism Act. But in 1994 I heard no Democrats complaining about it.
    The ghost of Jack Kevorkian for President's Physician: 2016

  9. #49
    Sage
    poweRob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    35,096

    Re: Robert Bork Dies at 85

    Quote Originally Posted by danarhea View Post
    Actually, the Patriot Act was nothing more than an extension of Clinton's 1994 Antiterrorism Act. But in 1994 I heard no Democrats complaining about it.
    Probably because of all the ignorace of it like mine. Did it include warrentless wiretapping and ordering phone companies to database all phone calls?
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    The sad fact is that having a pedophile win is better than having a Democrat in office. I'm all for a solution where a Republican gets in that isn't Moore.

  10. #50
    pawn in the game of life
    pragmatic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Last Seen
    10-17-17 @ 05:33 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,984

    Re: Robert Bork Dies at 85

    Quote Originally Posted by danarhea View Post
    We disagree here. Firing the Special Prosecutor might be a prerogative of the President, but when he does it to obstruct an investigation of his own criminal wrongdoing, then he has obstructed justice. In fact, one of the counts of his impeachment was obstruction of justice, and he was assisted in his obstruction by Robert Bork.
    If Bork followed a directive from his superior in this case are you (or anyone) suggesting that he committed a prosecutable crime...?


    “Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.”

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •