Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 128

Thread: Westboro Meets Its Match: Thousands Sign Retaliatory Petitions

  1. #61
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    12-30-17 @ 04:05 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: Westboro Meets Its Match: Thousands Sign Retaliatory Petitions

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    And hate filled posts such as this is why I'd be apt to be against this kind of action against WBC....because it simply furthers other peoples hate to negative purposes while likely not actually stopping or significantly hurting WBC. The emotional part of me goes "**** yeah, screw Westboro". But when I stop to think a moment, and especially reading typical crap like this, and realize that it just sets a precedence for interjecting government further into religion and trading constitutional hate for constitutionally questionable hate.
    Oh really? "Typical crap like this." Go **** yourself.

    In case you didn't notice in your emotional state, the slippery slope fallacy is still a fallacy and my argument isn't that anybody should actually be deemed a hate group. My argument is that one church who does the same thing as a bunch of other churches should not be singled out. THAT is abuse of power. Either do it to everybody or don't do it all, but doing it to one and not the others is hypocritical and unjust.

  2. #62
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:07 PM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,779

    Re: Westboro Meets Its Match: Thousands Sign Retaliatory Petitions

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    They either fit the criteria for a nonprofit or they don't. One can't just say, "We're nonprofit." There are rules and guidelines to get that status. I don't think anyone is saying it should be done illegally, but if a petition causes the IRS to look at it more closely? That's a good thing. (I'm not saying they should just disallow it . . . only if they don't fit the criteria.)
    I believe they actually did have to fit the criteria before they were approved. It wasn't given to them just because they said so.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  3. #63
    Sage
    Dezaad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Last Seen
    06-28-15 @ 10:43 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    5,058
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Westboro Meets Its Match: Thousands Sign Retaliatory Petitions

    Quote Originally Posted by megaprogman View Post
    Westboro Meets Its Match: Thousands Sign Retaliatory Petitions | fox4kc.com



    What say you? Legitimate action or suppression of free speech?
    I appreciate and agree with the sentiment, but I don't think we can lawfully pick which messages we think are sufficiently hateful so as to move people from 'legitimate church' to 'hate group'.

    OTOH, I am not sure I care about the law when I think about Westboro. But, I would much rather see them get the **** beat out of them by masked thugs than to have the First Amendment trod upon. Masked thugs would be a delight, actually.
    You can never be safe from a government that can keep you completely safe from each other and the world. You must choose.

  4. #64
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:07 PM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,779

    Re: Westboro Meets Its Match: Thousands Sign Retaliatory Petitions

    Even this petition gives them the encouragement to carry on. This tells them they're still effective.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  5. #65
    Sage
    Navy Pride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Pacific NW
    Last Seen
    05-07-15 @ 02:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    39,883

    Re: Westboro Meets Its Match: Thousands Sign Retaliatory Petitions

    I would love to take one of those semi automatic weapons the left is always whinning aboutand blow their heads off.
    "God Bless Our Troops in Harms Way."

  6. #66
    Gradualist

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Seen
    09-25-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    34,949
    Blog Entries
    6

    Re: Westboro Meets Its Match: Thousands Sign Retaliatory Petitions

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    I would love to take one of those semi automatic weapons the left is always whinning aboutand blow their heads off.
    Wow...
    Way to remain civil.
    You would be no better than them then, you would give them what they want, more attention.
    You to stoop to that level is sickening and not the right way to handle this.
    Disgraceful.


  7. #67
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    The darkside of the moon
    Last Seen
    05-24-14 @ 05:56 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    4,905
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Westboro Meets Its Match: Thousands Sign Retaliatory Petitions

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    Even this petition gives them the encouragement to carry on. This tells them they're still effective.
    The idea that if you stop paying attention to them they will stop what they are doing is pointless. First problem with that is that you will never get people to stop paying attention to them especially considering they know how to annoy people and when people are at their weakest to go bother them. You will never stop people from paying attention to them no matter how much you complain about it, and they know that. The second problem with your statement is they never needed encouragement to do what they did to begin with. They enjoy what they do, it makes them feel good. This is why they last so long. This is why you cannot outlast them. This is why you cannot win.

    The best thing to do would be to strip them of their tax free status because they use their church's funds to campaign. that won't end them doing what they do, but at least we will get some tax money from them considering they are not a religious organization, they are a political campaigning organization. This will probably never happen as it is clear the IRS has absolutely no interest in revoking religious status of people who violate the restrictions of religious tax free status. I would guess the IRS doesn't want to heavily look into these things because it opens up a whole huge can of worms with christianity funding too many government officials in the US, and also for being a tax free haven for criminal and political money. You certainly do not want to piss off a group of lawsuit happy lawyers like the WBC because they are just the type to sue for equal treatment under the law and attack the big church's.

    Personally I would say hit the WBC in their tax free status and see what other gems on the corrupt christian church falls out and how many government officials get caught up with their hand on christ's cookies, but that will never happen. That would be something like campaign reform or congressional reform to make those lazy assholes do their job. It is a great idea but when the corrupt are the people running things you would probably get more traction praying to god.

  8. #68
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Westboro Meets Its Match: Thousands Sign Retaliatory Petitions

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    I would love to take one of those semi automatic weapons the left is always whinning aboutand blow their heads off.
    OK, stay calm. hopefully help is on the way.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  9. #69
    Guru
    celticwar17's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:16 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    4,996

    Re: Westboro Meets Its Match: Thousands Sign Retaliatory Petitions

    To me, this is just stooping closer to their level...

    don't infringe on free speech...

  10. #70
    Guru
    ChuckBerry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    Last Seen
    10-28-13 @ 01:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    3,491

    Re: Westboro Meets Its Match: Thousands Sign Retaliatory Petitions

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    Even this petition gives them the encouragement to carry on. This tells them they're still effective.
    "God Hates Fags" shouted at the funerals of innocent little kids can't be ignored, radcen. It strikes so deeply at the heart of what any decent human being ought to feel is indecent and obscene. It's not like a music artist who says an outrageous thing or takes off their clothes and can be ignored as an attention seeker, what WBC does goes far beyond that. They seek to wound people when they are at their weakest.
    The morality of abortion is not a religious belief, any more than the morality of slavery, apartheid, rape, larceny, murder or arson is a religious belief. These are norms of the natural law of mankind and can be legislated even in a completely religionless society.

Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •