Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 71

Thread: Dysfunctional relationship of Sandy Hook gunman and his mother Read more: http://www

  1. #31
    Guru
    Velvet Elvis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Midwest
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    4,493

    Re: Dam Lanza - Aperger's Syndrome and "dysfunctional (my title)

    As a 2X diagnosed Aspie, I claim 100% bullchit on this claim. Do not mix "crazy" with "autistic." Especially when "autistic" is at such a minimal level.

    Whatever happened to "crazy?" Why does everything that any nutball does have to be rationalized, compared to a normally-functioning person? I know a lot of people think "Aspies" aren't "normally functioning," but hey...we all know to look both ways before crossing traffic. We all know how to tie our shoes. We all know that stoves can be hot. We're not stupid.

    Stop trying to rationalize "crazy." The kid was crazy, and he shot up a school. There's no sense in banning this, or banning that. No need to impose restrictions. No need to enact dozens of laws that would inevitably be nothing more than vehicles to inject pork projects into the country. If he wouldn't have had access to guns, he'd have brought a sword, or a knife. If not that, he'da concocted a bomb of sorts. Kid was CRAZY. Leave it at that.

  2. #32
    Demented Lycanthropist
    wolfman24's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    East Waboo USA
    Last Seen
    02-14-17 @ 01:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    5,058
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Dam Lanza - Aperger's Syndrome and "dysfunctional (my title)

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    I'm skeptical of much of these lists, as they are limited with what they can produce from a subject of history. Just like people ought to be careful in armchair diagnosing now, that holds just as true, if not more so, about the past.

    Anyhow, Bobby Fischer the "chess guy."
    Well that could be.
    "Those who do not learn from history and condemned to relive it".

    "There are those who will debate the necessity of wilderness, I will not, either you know it in your bones or you are very very old". Aldo Leopold - Sand County Almanac

  3. #33
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: Dam Lanza - Aperger's Syndrome and "dysfunctional (my title)

    Quote Originally Posted by Velvet Elvis View Post
    As a 2X diagnosed Aspie, I claim 100% bullchit on this claim. Do not mix "crazy" with "autistic." Especially when "autistic" is at such a minimal level.

    Whatever happened to "crazy?" Why does everything that any nutball does have to be rationalized, compared to a normally-functioning person? I know a lot of people think "Aspies" aren't "normally functioning," but hey...we all know to look both ways before crossing traffic. We all know how to tie our shoes. We all know that stoves can be hot. We're not stupid.

    Stop trying to rationalize "crazy." The kid was crazy, and he shot up a school. There's no sense in banning this, or banning that. No need to impose restrictions. No need to enact dozens of laws that would inevitably be nothing more than vehicles to inject pork projects into the country. If he wouldn't have had access to guns, he'd have brought a sword, or a knife. If not that, he'da concocted a bomb of sorts. Kid was CRAZY. Leave it at that.
    While it would be irrational to use this event to generalize about people with Asperger's (if Lanza actually had it), it is rational to try to understand and explain his behavior which is what I suspect is actually happening rather than people "rationalizing crazy." It's also not out of the line that Asperger's may have contributed to Lanza's violence (assuming he actually had it) in addition to whatever other factors did as well.

    And no, it doesn't make sense to say, "kid was crazy. leave it at that." That's not how we solve problems. We don't just "leave things" with vague, lazy explanations because we're uncomfortable with the direction some people are taking those explanations in - not when 20 kids get shot for no good reason.

  4. #34
    Jedi Master
    Captain America's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 05:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    18,673

    Re: Dam Lanza - Aperger's Syndrome and "dysfunctional (my title)

    It saddens me to see asperger's syndrome in such a negative light. My heart goes out to countless children in our midst having to bear this cross. The last thing they need is more redicule. Most have had to spend their childhood years on the short bus only to develop into some of the brightest, lovingest contributors to our society.

    Anything having to do with evil is so out of character for an asperger person. At least, from what I have observed. I never met kinder people.

    If I remember correctly, wasn't it mentioned that Einstein might have been a asperger person?

    It's GREAT to be me. --- "45% liberal/55% conservative"
    Diplomacy is the art of saying 'nice doggy" until you can find a gun.

  5. #35
    Guru
    ChuckBerry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    Last Seen
    10-28-13 @ 01:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    3,491

    Re: Dam Lanza - Aperger's Syndrome and "dysfunctional (my title)

    Quote Originally Posted by Velvet Elvis View Post
    Whatever happened to "crazy?" Why does everything that any nutball does have to be rationalized, compared to a normally-functioning person?
    I would replace "crazy" with "evil", but I know that word is terribly out of fashion. A low functioning autistic person might lash out briefly at a tormentor, and possibly even hurt that person. But shooting through a door and laying waste to dozens of strangers, most of which were little children who he could not possibly see as a threat to him?

    There is no "crazy" that fits. "Evil" is the only thing that makes sense. Lanza made a conscious choice to do an evil thing. Why, at the moment, is anybody's guess.
    The morality of abortion is not a religious belief, any more than the morality of slavery, apartheid, rape, larceny, murder or arson is a religious belief. These are norms of the natural law of mankind and can be legislated even in a completely religionless society.

  6. #36
    Sage
    Fenton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:13 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,324

    Re: Dysfunctional relationship of Sandy Hook gunman and his mother Read more: http:/

    Quote Originally Posted by Das Sozialist View Post
    If you have a disorder that makes you abnormal, you're suffering. I don't
    mean that you experience pain or anything of the sort, like apdst said, you know how suffering is being used, it's a common phrase in the English language.
    Well there's the rub. In some aspect we all suffer from time to time and abnormal implies that there is something wrong with a person who's essentially different and is illequiped to fit in to a society who's broadbrushed them as substandard.

    Aspergers is thought to be genetic, and in fact our son did inherit it from me although I worked through the social aspects of it and capitalized on the innate inteligence that the condition seems to be associated with it.

    His IQ was 143 a few years ago, when I was in Jr High mine was tested at 134. So he has a higher IQ but also he has a more pronounced difficulties with the social aspects of Aspergers than I did.

    People ? Relationships ? He could care less. Same with me when I was younger but I also realized the practical importance of fellowship and understood the dangers of isolating one's self down to a point where you truly are alone.

    I'm confident I can coach him through the difficult years but to classify it as a disorder just doesn't sit well with me.

    If its the best I can do to weigh the pro's and cons of the way his brain is wired then its still enough for me to say it's a blessing more than a curse.

    They are not idiot savants, they are not retarded and they are not a threat to anyone.

    Their minds are entire worlds alone to them and they're content to focus inward and apply their high intelligence on what ever they're currently obsessed with.

    The hard part is getting them out of what is a position of ultimate comfort and security.

  7. #37
    Transcend~
    Empirica's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Lost at Sea
    Last Seen
    11-24-17 @ 07:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    3,662

    Re: Dysfunctional relationship of Sandy Hook gunman and his mother Read more: http:/

    Quote Originally Posted by spanky View Post
    Nancy Lanza: Did paranoid, gun-crazed mother trigger Sandy Hook, Connecticut killing spree? | Mail Online

    Lot's of tidbits in the DailyMail piece. Don't know how many of them are true but I will say this about the DM, it may tend to sensationalize headlines but it's underlying facts usually have some truth to them.
    This does have all the earmarks of the typical biased article written by a typical left-wing extremist_

    I can't imagine why anyone would believe there is any useful information to be found in this article_
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    "She would get very upset that he wouldn’t let her hug him:' Dysfunctional relationship of Sandy Hook gunman and his mother"
    IMO, this alone would definitely not qualify this mother and son as having a "dysfunctional relationship"_

    "Nancy Lanza portrayed as 'survivalist' who stockpiled food, water and guns"
    Taking into account the US financial situation, preparing for economic collapse doesn't seem all that unreasonable_

    "She was shot four times in the head, possibly as she slept, by her son"
    Considering one shot would have sufficed is just another indication that the young man had psychologically snapped_

    "Collection of guns included handguns, assault rifle and two hunting rifles"
    Every other report I've seen said her guns were registered and legal which contradicts this report of an "assault rifle"_

    "Son Adam was reclusive, spending most of his time in adjoining bedrooms"
    This seems to be quite common for many young people these days with their video games and computers_

    "Friend: Mrs Lanza 'would get very upset that he wouldn’t let her hug him"
    Understandable___I would imagine this would upset many if not most mothers who love their children_
    When a crime is ignored ~ it becomes flagrant;
    When a crime is rewarded ~ it becomes epidemic:

    No Amnesty No Exception

  8. #38
    Demented Lycanthropist
    wolfman24's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    East Waboo USA
    Last Seen
    02-14-17 @ 01:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    5,058
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Dam Lanza - Aperger's Syndrome and "dysfunctional (my title)

    Quote Originally Posted by Velvet Elvis View Post
    As a 2X diagnosed Aspie, I claim 100% bullchit on this claim. Do not mix "crazy" with "autistic." Especially when "autistic" is at such a minimal level.

    Whatever happened to "crazy?" Why does everything that any nutball does have to be rationalized, compared to a normally-functioning person? I know a lot of people think "Aspies" aren't "normally functioning," but hey...we all know to look both ways before crossing traffic. We all know how to tie our shoes. We all know that stoves can be hot. We're not stupid.

    Stop trying to rationalize "crazy." The kid was crazy, and he shot up a school. There's no sense in banning this, or banning that. No need to impose restrictions. No need to enact dozens of laws that would inevitably be nothing more than vehicles to inject pork projects into the country. If he wouldn't have had access to guns, he'd have brought a sword, or a knife. If not that, he'da concocted a bomb of sorts. Kid was CRAZY. Leave it at that.
    Not crazy autistic. If you are an Aspie I am surprised by this post. Autistic people especially those at the mid to lower end of the spectrum have a very low stress/anxiety/emotional threshold. You should know this. A low functioning AI person would not know or possibly understand that they are doing anything wrong. From the latest news I have seen this person was not Aspie he was as mentioned above.

    He just had had enough abuse or whatever and reacted as his impulses dictated. This is not crazy and any AI/ DD person knows this.
    "Those who do not learn from history and condemned to relive it".

    "There are those who will debate the necessity of wilderness, I will not, either you know it in your bones or you are very very old". Aldo Leopold - Sand County Almanac

  9. #39
    Demented Lycanthropist
    wolfman24's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    East Waboo USA
    Last Seen
    02-14-17 @ 01:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    5,058
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Dam Lanza - Aperger's Syndrome and "dysfunctional (my title)

    Quote Originally Posted by ThePlayDrive View Post
    While it would be irrational to use this event to generalize about people with Asperger's (if Lanza actually had it), it is rational to try to understand and explain his behavior which is what I suspect is actually happening rather than people "rationalizing crazy." It's also not out of the line that Asperger's may have contributed to Lanza's violence (assuming he actually had it) in addition to whatever other factors did as well.

    And no, it doesn't make sense to say, "kid was crazy. leave it at that." That's not how we solve problems. We don't just "leave things" with vague, lazy explanations because we're uncomfortable with the direction some people are taking those explanations in - not when 20 kids get shot for no good reason.
    as I have said the more information that comes in about this person the more I believe he was autistic at the lower to mid part of the spectrum, not an Aspie.
    "Those who do not learn from history and condemned to relive it".

    "There are those who will debate the necessity of wilderness, I will not, either you know it in your bones or you are very very old". Aldo Leopold - Sand County Almanac

  10. #40
    Demented Lycanthropist
    wolfman24's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    East Waboo USA
    Last Seen
    02-14-17 @ 01:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    5,058
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Dam Lanza - Aperger's Syndrome and "dysfunctional (my title)

    Quote Originally Posted by Captain America View Post
    It saddens me to see asperger's syndrome in such a negative light. My heart goes out to countless children in our midst having to bear this cross. The last thing they need is more redicule. Most have had to spend their childhood years on the short bus only to develop into some of the brightest, lovingest contributors to our society.

    Anything having to do with evil is so out of character for an asperger person. At least, from what I have observed. I never met kinder people.

    If I remember correctly, wasn't it mentioned that Einstein might have been a asperger person?
    Thank you for those kind words and I agree with you 100%. My son and nephew are two of the nicest people you would ever want to meet. My nephew has learned to operate in the NT world and keeps his DD downplayed by being quiet and shy.

    My son however cannot hide his for a number of reasons but he is still a good intellegent kid.

    People who know us understand exactly how right you are.
    "Those who do not learn from history and condemned to relive it".

    "There are those who will debate the necessity of wilderness, I will not, either you know it in your bones or you are very very old". Aldo Leopold - Sand County Almanac

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •