Page 8 of 23 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 223

Thread: Clackamas man, armed, confronts mall shooter

  1. #71
    Professor
    Capster78's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Florida
    Last Seen
    08-24-15 @ 02:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    2,253

    Re: Clackamas man, armed, confronts mall shooter

    Quote Originally Posted by Eighty Deuce View Post
    This is just plain foolishness. Many countries have high levels of gun ownership. Look at Switzerland. Or Israel. But they haven't even a smidgeon of our gun crimes.

    So its not the guns. The problem is not the guns. The solution is not the guns.
    Switzerland has no official military, so it supplies guns to local militias which act as a conscripted military. That is why they have many guns in Switzerland. However, gun laws are extremly tight for the average citizen. Nice try.

    Israel is to busy defending itself from just about every country surrounding them to be shooting each other.
    - There was never a good war, or a bad peace.
    - Idealistically, everything should work as you planed it to. Realistically, it depends on how idealistic you are as to the measure of success.
    - Better to be a pessimist before, and an optimist afterwords.

  2. #72
    Professor
    Capster78's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Florida
    Last Seen
    08-24-15 @ 02:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    2,253

    Re: Clackamas man, armed, confronts mall shooter

    Quote Originally Posted by Eighty Deuce View Post
    Verses guns from .... what ? Again, it is not the guns. Its our culture.
    I agree that we have a cultural issue which is further exacerbated by the easy access to firearms.
    - There was never a good war, or a bad peace.
    - Idealistically, everything should work as you planed it to. Realistically, it depends on how idealistic you are as to the measure of success.
    - Better to be a pessimist before, and an optimist afterwords.

  3. #73
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:24 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,548

    Re: Clackamas man, armed, confronts mall shooter

    Quote Originally Posted by Capster78 View Post
    I agree that we have a cultural issue which is further exacerbated by the easy access to firearms.
    are you going to tell us what laws you want concerning firearms or are you going to continue to whine about "easy access to firearms"

  4. #74
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Last Seen
    12-29-15 @ 10:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    3,747

    Re: Clackamas man, armed, confronts mall shooter

    Quote Originally Posted by Capster78 View Post
    Switzerland has no official military, so it supplies guns to local militias which act as a conscripted military. That is why they have many guns in Switzerland. However, gun laws are extremly tight for the average citizen. Nice try.

    Israel is to busy defending itself from just about every country surrounding them to be shooting each other.
    Point being, they have guns. But they do not have the gun crime. So it ain't the guns.

  5. #75
    Professor
    Capster78's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Florida
    Last Seen
    08-24-15 @ 02:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    2,253

    Re: Clackamas man, armed, confronts mall shooter

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    are you going to tell us what laws you want concerning firearms or are you going to continue to whine about "easy access to firearms"
    To solve our issues here in the states.. I would like a full ban on firearms period. But, the realist in me understands that this will not occur at least for a very long time. So I would compromise and simply outlaw just about everything with the exception of a low caliber handguns. I would limit the number to 1 per individual and make getting one even more difficult than gaining citizenship. Everyone would be required to go thru extensive gun training as well as backround checks and psychological assessments by at least 3 psychologists. All of which would have to deem the person fit to own a firearm. Then I would hold the licensing authority as well as the psychologists responsible for anyone who slips thru the cracks so that they take their jobs seriously. I would also hold individuals responsible for their weapons if they are found in the hands of someone committing a crime. As far as I am concerned, if a crime is committed with that weapon, the person who supplied that weapon should be given the same punishment as the criminal.
    - There was never a good war, or a bad peace.
    - Idealistically, everything should work as you planed it to. Realistically, it depends on how idealistic you are as to the measure of success.
    - Better to be a pessimist before, and an optimist afterwords.

  6. #76
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Last Seen
    12-29-15 @ 10:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    3,747

    Re: Clackamas man, armed, confronts mall shooter

    Quote Originally Posted by Capster78 View Post
    I agree that we have a cultural issue which is further exacerbated by the easy access to firearms.
    Again, easy access to guns is not uniquely American. Gun crime is though. Easy access to guns does not exacerbate gun crime elsewhere. All comparisons validate that it is not the guns.

  7. #77
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:24 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,548

    Re: Clackamas man, armed, confronts mall shooter

    Quote Originally Posted by Capster78 View Post
    To solve our issues here in the states.. I would like a full ban on firearms period. But, the realist in me understands that this will not occur at least for a very long time. So I would compromise and simply outlaw just about everything with the exception of a low caliber handguns. I would limit the number to 1 per individual and make getting one even more difficult than gaining citizenship. Everyone would be required to go thru extensive gun training as well as backround checks and psychological assessments by at least 3 psychologists. All of which would have to deem the person fit to own a firearm. Then I would hold the licensing authority as well as the psychologists responsible for anyone who slips thru the cracks so that they take their jobs seriously. I would also hold individuals responsible for their weapons if they are found in the hands of someone committing a crime. As far as I am concerned, if a crime is committed with that weapon, the person who supplied that weapon should be given the same punishment as the criminal.
    so you want honest people to be disarmed

    what will you do to people like me who won't give up our guns

  8. #78
    Professor
    Capster78's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Florida
    Last Seen
    08-24-15 @ 02:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    2,253

    Re: Clackamas man, armed, confronts mall shooter

    Quote Originally Posted by Eighty Deuce View Post
    Point being, they have guns. But they do not have the gun crime. So it ain't the guns.
    Because the guns are given only to those who are conscripted in the militia. Not legal for everyone who just wants a gun. That is why.
    - There was never a good war, or a bad peace.
    - Idealistically, everything should work as you planed it to. Realistically, it depends on how idealistic you are as to the measure of success.
    - Better to be a pessimist before, and an optimist afterwords.

  9. #79
    Professor
    Capster78's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Florida
    Last Seen
    08-24-15 @ 02:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    2,253

    Re: Clackamas man, armed, confronts mall shooter

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    so you want honest people to be disarmed

    what will you do to people like me who won't give up our guns
    No, I said I would allow everyone to own a low caliber handgun for personal protection.
    - There was never a good war, or a bad peace.
    - Idealistically, everything should work as you planed it to. Realistically, it depends on how idealistic you are as to the measure of success.
    - Better to be a pessimist before, and an optimist afterwords.

  10. #80
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:24 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,548

    Re: Clackamas man, armed, confronts mall shooter

    Quote Originally Posted by Capster78 View Post
    No, I said I would allow everyone to own a low caliber handgun for personal protection.
    but I want to have the same stuff the criminals have and I do

    your solution

Page 8 of 23 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •