Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 223

Thread: Clackamas man, armed, confronts mall shooter

  1. #11
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    Re: Clackamas man, armed, confronts mall shooter

    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Tammerlain View Post
    Of course

    America is a much safer place then Canada, the UK, Western Europe, and Japan

    All because the US is armed
    Depending on which statistics you want to look at, the U.S. is safer, than some of those places.
    Maybe because we're more armed, maybe not.
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

  2. #12
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,343

    Re: Clackamas man, armed, confronts mall shooter

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    I don't concede we're safer either way. Both sides try to use one hit instances to make a false point. Both sides use fallacious arguments and questionable statistics. Perhaps absolute safety isn't possible and in free society, we have to live with that.

    Mark the day, time, and post...we agree...It is impossible in a free society to be absolute in safety, which is why any honest police officer will tell you that they are not there to protect you, but rather to deter, and investigate after the fact. Protection is up to the individual.
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  3. #13
    Sage
    Lord Tammerlain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:24 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    10,432

    Re: Clackamas man, armed, confronts mall shooter

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Guerrilla View Post
    Depending on which statistics you want to look at, the U.S. is safer, than some of those places.
    Maybe because we're more armed, maybe not.
    I would look at assaults, murders and rapes, I expect the countries and regions listed generally have lower rates then the US

    The UK seems to have higher rates of assaults but lower murder rates
    Happy Hanukkah Cheerfull Kwanzaa
    Happy Christmas Merry New Year Festivus for the rest of us

  4. #14
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    Re: Clackamas man, armed, confronts mall shooter

    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Tammerlain View Post
    I would look at assaults, murders and rapes, I expect the countries and regions listed generally have lower rates then the US

    The UK seems to have higher rates of assaults but lower murder rates
    Yea, in some area's there are differences, in others not so much.
    Rapes are higher in France than the U.S. as a point of contention but murders are lower.

    Overall in France there are 1% more crime victims.
    At least according to this.

    NationMaster - Crime stats: France vs United States
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

  5. #15
    Professor
    Capster78's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Florida
    Last Seen
    08-24-15 @ 02:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    2,253

    Re: Clackamas man, armed, confronts mall shooter

    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    Mexico doesn't get all their guns from us. F&F, as serious as it is, is a drop in the bucket of all the guns in Mexico.

    Seriously, when alcohol was banned here in the states did that stop people from getting alcohol? Do the restrictions on illegal drugs stop drugs from hitting the streets? What makes you think that a restriction on guns will be any different?
    And by the way, you are wrong in what you said.....
    Report: Many weapons used by Mexican drug gangs originate in U.S. - CNN
    - There was never a good war, or a bad peace.
    - Idealistically, everything should work as you planed it to. Realistically, it depends on how idealistic you are as to the measure of success.
    - Better to be a pessimist before, and an optimist afterwords.

  6. #16
    Professor
    Capster78's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Florida
    Last Seen
    08-24-15 @ 02:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    2,253

    Re: Clackamas man, armed, confronts mall shooter

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    Mark the day, time, and post...we agree...It is impossible in a free society to be absolute in safety, which is why any honest police officer will tell you that they are not there to protect you, but rather to deter, and investigate after the fact. Protection is up to the individual.
    Entirely false! Law enforcements motto is to PROTECT and serve. It is the motto almost every police force is based on. If the police were there only to investigate after the fact, then why is so much money put in to protecting society? If this were true, calling 911 would be pointless. They would just tell you they could not do anything until you were dead or someone else was dead. Thats just insane.
    - There was never a good war, or a bad peace.
    - Idealistically, everything should work as you planed it to. Realistically, it depends on how idealistic you are as to the measure of success.
    - Better to be a pessimist before, and an optimist afterwords.

  7. #17
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,343

    Re: Clackamas man, armed, confronts mall shooter

    Quote Originally Posted by Capster78 View Post
    And by the way, you are wrong in what you said.....
    Report: Many weapons used by Mexican drug gangs originate in U.S. - CNN
    Yep, Fast and Furious was a huge success.
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  8. #18
    Sage
    Lutherf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Tucson, AZ
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    24,707

    Re: Clackamas man, armed, confronts mall shooter

    Quote Originally Posted by Capster78 View Post
    Alcohol and drugs are mental and psychological vices that are expectedly, hard to control. Gun ownership, Is nothing like drug or alcohol in that sense.
    But you were talking about the availability of guns not mental conditions before. I figured that I'd stick with the topic at hand but I should have known that whenever common sense blows an argument apart the lefties always choose to change to a different tune.

  9. #19
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,343

    Re: Clackamas man, armed, confronts mall shooter

    Quote Originally Posted by Capster78 View Post
    Entirely false! Law enforcements motto is to PROTECT and serve. It is the motto almost every police force is based on. If the police were there only to investigate after the fact, then why is so much money put in to protecting society? If this were true, calling 911 would be pointless. They would just tell you they could not do anything until you were dead or someone else was dead. Thats just insane.
    Undermanned, overburdened, and out gunned in more than enough circumstances brother....That is just a fact...When trouble is breaking in the home within seconds, police are minutes away.
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  10. #20
    Sage
    Lutherf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Tucson, AZ
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    24,707

    Re: Clackamas man, armed, confronts mall shooter

    Quote Originally Posted by Capster78 View Post
    And by the way, you are wrong in what you said.....
    Report: Many weapons used by Mexican drug gangs originate in U.S. - CNN

    More than 70% of 29,284 firearms submitted to the U.S. Department of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives for tracing by the Mexican government during 2009 and 2010 originated in the United States, according to the report.
    You see that underlined part? That doesn't mean that all the guns in Mexico are sent to ATF for tracing. It means that only the guns which the Mexicans have reason to believe came from the US (primarily due to serial numbers) are sent to the ATF. If they pick up a FN FAL without a serial number it probably won't be submitted to ATF because it probably didn't originate in the US where we require serial numbers on all the firearms we manufacture.

Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •