Page 17 of 20 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast
Results 161 to 170 of 192

Thread: White House won't accept new tax offer from Republican leader

  1. #161
    Guru

    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Nevada
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    4,838

    Re: White House won't accept new tax offer from Republican leader

    Liberal Boehner is trying as hard as he can to surrender as quickly as possible. Hopefully he will be voted out of his speaker's post before he succeeds in his mission.

  2. #162
    Educator

    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Kingdom of Nigh
    Last Seen
    10-13-17 @ 11:25 AM
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    1,152

    Re: White House won't accept new tax offer from Republican leader

    Quote Originally Posted by TaraAnne View Post
    Well some people seem to blame Obama for it and utterly deny the fact that Republicans were the party resoncible for a great deal of the debt. As far as cutting spending. The bills were being paid off until Bush 2 gave those big tax cuts so really your rational does not hold water.
    I call Bull squeeze on your statement, if you would have bothered to check out the link I gave in the previous post, you would see your statement is completely false, backed by the governments own records.
    False to the point that it shows you have absolutely no clue as to what you speak. Either you dont have a clue or you are a bold faced liar....either way you are wrong.

    Are you expecting us to believe 2 things....
    1) Democrats are fiscally responsible...facts prove this not to be true
    2) The deficit didnt exist until Bush 2...facts also prove this not to be true.

    Please stop your partisan hackery, by attempting to push blame for this fiasco of an economy on one side or the other plainly shows your unwillingness to see the truth of the matter. Keep those partisan rose colored glasses on...reality might scare you.
    Know the truth and the truth will make you mad, because the truth has no agenda.

  3. #163
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,274

    Re: White House won't accept new tax offer from Republican leader

    Quote Originally Posted by Imnukingfutz View Post
    I call Bull squeeze on your statement, if you would have bothered to check out the link I gave in the previous post, you would see your statement is completely false, backed by the governments own records.
    False to the point that it shows you have absolutely no clue as to what you speak. Either you dont have a clue or you are a bold faced liar....either way you are wrong.

    Are you expecting us to believe 2 things....
    1) Democrats are fiscally responsible...facts prove this not to be true
    2) The deficit didnt exist until Bush 2...facts also prove this not to be true.

    Please stop your partisan hackery, by attempting to push blame for this fiasco of an economy on one side or the other plainly shows your unwillingness to see the truth of the matter. Keep those partisan rose colored glasses on...reality might scare you.

    Such is the life of a drone.
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  4. #164
    Mod Conspiracy Theorist
    rocket88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    A very blue state
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,159

    Re: White House won't accept new tax offer from Republican leader

    Quote Originally Posted by CalGun View Post
    Latest deal Boehner offered is identical to what Shumar, Pelosi and Reid wanted last spring, the "millionaire" tax, and now its not good enough for them.

    I still wish the Republicans' would walk out and say take your cliff and love it.
    Yep, sending the economy back into a recession (which most economists agree would be the result) is OK as long as you can blame it on the other party.


    Quote Originally Posted by Jetboogieman View Post
    This issue has been plowed more times than Paris Hilton.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oborosen View Post
    Too bad we have to observe human rights.

  5. #165
    Mod Conspiracy Theorist
    rocket88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    A very blue state
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,159

    Re: White House won't accept new tax offer from Republican leader

    Quote Originally Posted by Ray410 View Post
    Liberal Boehner is trying as hard as he can to surrender as quickly as possible. Hopefully he will be voted out of his speaker's post before he succeeds in his mission.
    It's the TP's way or the highway! Damn that Obama for not caving in to thwir demands.


    Quote Originally Posted by Jetboogieman View Post
    This issue has been plowed more times than Paris Hilton.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oborosen View Post
    Too bad we have to observe human rights.

  6. #166
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: White House won't accept new tax offer from Republican leader

    Quote Originally Posted by DVSentinel View Post
    You're just now realizing that? We have been on the Highway to Hell for a longtime now. No way to really fix it because the fixes would be too unpopular, which in an open democracy pretty much translates into "we ain't never gonna fix it".
    So, we should be anti-democracy?

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  7. #167
    User
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Last Seen
    01-03-13 @ 06:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9

    Re: White House won't accept new tax offer from Republican leader

    Raising taxes on certain people while continuing to spend like maniacs is not going to get us anywhere. Foreign aid and military spending is where I would start to make cuts followed by lowering salaries of government officials.

    We are not supposed to work for the government, the government is supposed to work for us.

  8. #168
    Sage

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    The Republic of Texas.
    Last Seen
    11-15-17 @ 11:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    5,647

    Re: White House won't accept new tax offer from Republican leader

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    So, we should be anti-democracy?
    I support a limited democracy. A dictatorship is the most efficient, however, history has shown us that Benevolent and Dictatorship are oxymorons. It also requires that one person to have way more knowledge about too many things than a single person is capable of. Thus, though efficient, not very welcoming.

    I think Heinlein, in Starship Troopers, had a good idea. Although, I think the demonstration of being able to society above self by military service is a good start, I would also include law enforcement and FireFighters. But if I remember right, only citizens were allowed to be law enforcement and only those who had served could be citizens.

    If not that, then at least some form of demonstration of worthiness to be a citizen should be a requirement and handle the responsibility of voting and governance.

    Although I don't like it as much, John Ringo and David Weber, in March to the Sea, had the idea that in order to vote and participate in government, one had to pay a given percentage of their wealth, no matter what the amount. I don't remember the exact percentage they used, but basically, everyone had to give 10%, so if had 100 million, you paid 10 million for the privilege of voting, if you only had 10, then you gave 1.

    Another Idea that I also liked, from another book don't remember title and author atm, was that in order to hold public office, one had to give up all personal wealth and the citizens got to vote for public pay, not their version of congress. Once in office, public pay and retirement only, no other income.
    Only a fool measures equality by results and not opportunities.

  9. #169
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: White House won't accept new tax offer from Republican leader

    Quote Originally Posted by DVSentinel View Post
    I support a limited democracy. A dictatorship is the most efficient, however, history has shown us that Benevolent and Dictatorship are oxymorons. It also requires that one person to have way more knowledge about too many things than a single person is capable of. Thus, though efficient, not very welcoming.

    I think Heinlein, in Starship Troopers, had a good idea. Although, I think the demonstration of being able to society above self by military service is a good start, I would also include law enforcement and FireFighters. But if I remember right, only citizens were allowed to be law enforcement and only those who had served could be citizens.

    If not that, then at least some form of demonstration of worthiness to be a citizen should be a requirement and handle the responsibility of voting and governance.

    Although I don't like it as much, John Ringo and David Weber, in March to the Sea, had the idea that in order to vote and participate in government, one had to pay a given percentage of their wealth, no matter what the amount. I don't remember the exact percentage they used, but basically, everyone had to give 10%, so if had 100 million, you paid 10 million for the privilege of voting, if you only had 10, then you gave 1.

    Another Idea that I also liked, from another book don't remember title and author atm, was that in order to hold public office, one had to give up all personal wealth and the citizens got to vote for public pay, not their version of congress. Once in office, public pay and retirement only, no other income.
    I understand that thinking to some degree. But just as the dictator can't be expected benevolent, a government acting without the voices of the least amongst us can't be expected to count them among their number. This would benefit society on the whole.

    Your last idea holds more promise, though likely to rule out the best and brightest. But money needs to become how removed from the equation.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  10. #170
    Sage

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    The Republic of Texas.
    Last Seen
    11-15-17 @ 11:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    5,647

    Re: White House won't accept new tax offer from Republican leader

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    I understand that thinking to some degree. But just as the dictator can't be expected benevolent, a government acting without the voices of the least amongst us can't be expected to count them among their number. This would benefit society on the whole.

    Your last idea holds more promise, though likely to rule out the best and brightest. But money needs to become how removed from the equation.
    Those were thoughts taken from others. My addition would be to create professional politicians also, instead of just career ones.

    I think that anyone that wants to run for public office should be required to complete a "human management" degree. Really, that is what government boils down to, how to manage human societies. The degree with focus upon political, economic and sociological history (an idea partly drawn from Isaac Asimov and his idea of phycho-history from Foundation series and also, the Naked Sun). Basically, a program that teaches what political, social and economic decision in the past were and what was the result of them, to the best of our available knowledge. That includes the history of all societies, not just the US. All socio-political philosophies should be taught, examined and the pros and cons of each evaluated. Also through in a reasonable dose of leadership.
    Only a fool measures equality by results and not opportunities.

Page 17 of 20 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •