Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 73

Thread: Westboro Baptist Church plans to picket Connecticut victims' funerals

  1. #31
    Discount Philosopher
    specklebang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Last Seen
    06-05-14 @ 08:26 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    11,524

    Re: Westboro Baptist Church plans to picket Connecticut victims' funerals

    You compare WBC with the Tea Party? I'm no fan of the TP but that's a little over the top.


    Quote Originally Posted by Utility Man View Post
    Maybe the tea party will follow up shortly after to protest the teachers salaries.

  2. #32
    Sage
    Fisher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    12-06-13 @ 02:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    17,002

    Re: Westboro Baptist Church plans to picket Connecticut victims' funerals

    Quote Originally Posted by Utility Man View Post
    Maybe the tea party will follow up shortly after to protest the teachers salaries.
    How many times have the teacher's unions gone on strike for more security and not more wages?

  3. #33
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:23 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,438

    Re: Westboro Baptist Church plans to picket Connecticut victims' funerals

    Quote Originally Posted by Superfly View Post
    Connecticut school shooting: Westboro Baptist Church planning to picket - Oklahoma City Top News | Examiner.com

    What do they gain from this kind of behavior? They've been doing it for years, and I can't find the gain -- unless it's to piss off people enough to get them to take a swing at them, and then they sue the person who hit them.
    ...which is why we need to stop paying attention to them. Seriously.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  4. #34
    Baby Eating Monster
    Korimyr the Rat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Laramie, WY
    Last Seen
    11-23-17 @ 02:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    18,709
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Westboro Baptist Church plans to picket Connecticut victims' funerals

    Quote Originally Posted by Superfly View Post
    Connecticut school shooting: Westboro Baptist Church planning to picket - Oklahoma City Top News | Examiner.com

    What do they gain from this kind of behavior? They've been doing it for years, and I can't find the gain -- unless it's to piss off people enough to get them to take a swing at them, and then they sue the person who hit them.
    Got it in one. That's their livelihood.

    Which just proves that the people hitting them aren't hitting them hard enough.

  5. #35
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    The darkside of the moon
    Last Seen
    05-24-14 @ 05:56 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    4,905
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Westboro Baptist Church plans to picket Connecticut victims' funerals

    One has got to love this WBC BS. I heard about them somewhere in the mid 90s. this was way back when the only people they really protested were gay people. Low and behold they did not make much money. Most of their money came from anti-gay donors. No one paid attention much to them because no one cared if they protested faggots. One has to wonder why has the WBC changed their tactics to go after non-homosexual people?

    The answer is attention and money. They get more lawsuits against them if they protest non-homosexual people and call them gay. they also get more media attention because people actually care about straight people being treated like gays. I find it amazing that now that the WBC has targetted straight people all of a sudden they need to be stopped and counter protested. really, what is the worst these people end up doing? Saying some army guys are gay, or that we are all going to die because we accept gay marriage? Frankly if the biggest concern you have when you are burrying your kids is someone who never new them calling them gay or saying they deserved to die because we have gay marriage, well you are worrying about the wrong thing.

    It would seem my sympathy meter for straight people being called gay is out of juice. maybe if gay wasn't a huge insult to so many straight people they would not be so offended because someone says gay to them. This outrage also tends to tell me that those people who say gay is not being used as a homophobic slur, but yet get offended if someone implies they might suck a dick, are feeding us a line of BS. Anyway, do with them what you will, while they are protesting your dead kids they are not bothering any faggots. Go good homo uses, we get a moment of peace while the straights bitch at each other.

  6. #36
    Don't Give a Rat's Ass
    SMTA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    OH
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    21,909

    Re: Westboro Baptist Church plans to picket Connecticut victims' funerals

    Quote Originally Posted by Viktyr Gehrig View Post
    Got it in one. That's their livelihood.

    Which just proves that the people hitting them aren't hitting them hard enough.
    You can send them back to OH to my area.

    They attempted to hit a local soldier's funeral a year or so ago.

    Never even got out of the hotel parking lot.....

    They are never coming back, I can guarantee that!!!
    Greatness lies not in being strong, but in the right use of strength - Henry Ward Beecher
    Baby sister, I was born game and I intend to go out that way - Rooster Cogburn

  7. #37
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:23 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,438

    Re: Westboro Baptist Church plans to picket Connecticut victims' funerals

    Quote Originally Posted by tererun View Post
    One has got to love this WBC BS. I heard about them somewhere in the mid 90s. this was way back when the only people they really protested were gay people. Low and behold they did not make much money. Most of their money came from anti-gay donors. No one paid attention much to them because no one cared if they protested faggots. One has to wonder why has the WBC changed their tactics to go after non-homosexual people?

    The answer is attention and money. They get more lawsuits against them if they protest non-homosexual people and call them gay. they also get more media attention because people actually care about straight people being treated like gays. I find it amazing that now that the WBC has targetted straight people all of a sudden they need to be stopped and counter protested. really, what is the worst these people end up doing? Saying some army guys are gay, or that we are all going to die because we accept gay marriage? Frankly if the biggest concern you have when you are burrying your kids is someone who never new them calling them gay or saying they deserved to die because we have gay marriage, well you are worrying about the wrong thing.

    It would seem my sympathy meter for straight people being called gay is out of juice. maybe if gay wasn't a huge insult to so many straight people they would not be so offended because someone says gay to them. This outrage also tends to tell me that those people who say gay is not being used as a homophobic slur, but yet get offended if someone implies they might suck a dick, are feeding us a line of BS. Anyway, do with them what you will, while they are protesting your dead kids they are not bothering any faggots. Go good homo uses, we get a moment of peace while the straights bitch at each other.
    Gay rights in the mid-90s wasn't the trendy rights issue that it is today, so your three paragraphs of selective indignation is misplaced.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  8. #38
    Klattu Verata Nicto
    LaMidRighter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Louisiana
    Last Seen
    07-21-17 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    30,534

    Re: Westboro Baptist Church plans to picket Connecticut victims' funerals

    Quote Originally Posted by Evenstar View Post
    These nutjobs need to be tear-gassed next time they protest at a god damn funeral. Seriously.
    You are much kinder than me about this, I think people should lob a molotov or two into the whole "congregation" and fry that scum. It would at least allow them to acclimate to the extreme heat they are in for in the afterlife.
    Neither side in an argument can find the truth when both make an absolute claim on it.

    LMR

  9. #39
    Sage
    gunner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    uk
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:03 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    6,365

    Re: Westboro Baptist Church plans to picket Connecticut victims' funerals

    I suppose living in a Country where you can say absolutely anything, and it comes under the banner of 'freedom of speech'; then you reap what you sow.

    Paul
    RIP THE EUROPEAN FORUM 2016

  10. #40
    Klattu Verata Nicto
    LaMidRighter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Louisiana
    Last Seen
    07-21-17 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    30,534

    Re: Westboro Baptist Church plans to picket Connecticut victims' funerals

    Quote Originally Posted by gunner View Post
    I suppose living in a Country where you can say absolutely anything, and it comes under the banner of 'freedom of speech'; then you reap what you sow.

    Paul
    You can't "say anything" in the U.S. there are limits. These limits though are more along the lines of endangermeant than anything else. There must be a clear and present danger, imminent threat, defamation, or otherwise non protected speech issue. Just "being hateful" is protected.
    Neither side in an argument can find the truth when both make an absolute claim on it.

    LMR

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •