Page 4 of 56 FirstFirst ... 234561454 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 555

Thread: 26 reported killed in Newtown [W:72/89]

  1. #31
    Slayer of the DP Newsbot
    danarhea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:27 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    39,720

    re: 26 reported killed in Newtown [W:72/89]

    Quote Originally Posted by Hairytic View Post
    Is it time to talk about gun control now? This is getting ridiculous. We never find the time to talk about gun control. These sort of things don't happen in England, and they have very strong gun control laws. The NRA needs to get out of the way and let the conversation begin.
    This is NOT the time to turn this tragedy into a political football. How dare you!!
    The ghost of Jack Kevorkian for President's Physician: 2016

  2. #32
    Demented Lycanthropist
    wolfman24's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    East Waboo USA
    Last Seen
    02-14-17 @ 01:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    5,058
    Blog Entries
    2

    re: 26 reported killed in Newtown [W:72/89]

    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    LOL If you've ever tried to talk about gun control on the Gun Control Forum you'd quickly know the answer to your question. The gun nut trolls will you shout you down and make any rational discussion about it impossible.
    Yep and don't think I haven't tried. I have come to the conclusion that a good many of them are delusional because they cannot and will not even consider that any part of their ideology is wrong, flawed or irrational. this is not normal.
    "Those who do not learn from history and condemned to relive it".

    "There are those who will debate the necessity of wilderness, I will not, either you know it in your bones or you are very very old". Aldo Leopold - Sand County Almanac

  3. #33
    Demented Lycanthropist
    wolfman24's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    East Waboo USA
    Last Seen
    02-14-17 @ 01:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    5,058
    Blog Entries
    2

    re: 26 reported killed in Newtown [W:72/89]

    Quote Originally Posted by DiAnna View Post
    It's never the right time to talk about gun control in the midst of an ongoing tragedy. Using tragedy as a political club is not only distasteful, it's disrespectful to the victims and their families, who should be the focus of our concern. So please try to contain yourself.
    SO when is the time? After? how soon after? and I am not talking about on this site but nationally. Not a jab BTW but an honest question.
    "Those who do not learn from history and condemned to relive it".

    "There are those who will debate the necessity of wilderness, I will not, either you know it in your bones or you are very very old". Aldo Leopold - Sand County Almanac

  4. #34
    Professor
    Hairytic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Mississippi
    Last Seen
    10-01-13 @ 04:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    1,592

    re: 26 reported killed in Newtown [W:72/89]

    Quote Originally Posted by OpportunityCost View Post
    Because Healthcare is not a right and the right to defend yourself IS.

    Healthcare is a responsibility. Gun control is seeking to usurp the ability of someone to defend themselves from others. Gun control ensures that the only people that are carrying are criminals. Why is the gun violense so bad in Chicago when they have gun control?

    I would agree tentatively that pychiatric care may have helped. But even the best healthcare cant always predict when someone will have a psychotic break that allows them to engage in this sort of behavior.

    The problem with a free society is that its not very neat and its not very controlled, but people are free to make their own choices. Unfortunately some of those choices are so horrific that we turn away from our principles and seek to control what others do, when something like this is both hard to predict and hard to prevent.
    Providing healthcare for our citizens doesn't have to be a right. However, it does provide for the general wealfare of the public, which is constitutional. Our society can and will benefit from providing healthcare because a healthy society is good for everyone. There are many situations where someone who has mental health problems seek help and can not get it. THere are family members that also try to help those individuals get help. When no help is available, those people end up becoming a burden on society in many ways. Rather than have those people be that burden, don't you think it would be better for all of society if everyone could get health care? It would actually be cheaper. We can't prevent every bad situaiton, but we would prevent some and I see that as a good thing.
    As for gun control, that does not mean gun ban. Why do people like you assume gun contro is gun ban. People do not need thousands of rounds of amo and a stock pile of simi automatic weapons to defend themselves. Some people shouldn't have guns, and if laws are in place to prevent these kind of people from having guns, law enforcement would have the power it needs to put these people behind bars.

  5. #35
    Professor
    Hairytic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Mississippi
    Last Seen
    10-01-13 @ 04:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    1,592

    re: 26 reported killed in Newtown [W:72/89]

    Quote Originally Posted by danarhea View Post
    This is NOT the time to turn this tragedy into a political football. How dare you!!
    When is the time? If we don't do something soon, this will continue to happen. Sense Columbine, we have laxed our gun laws. That has only cost more innocent lives and we are no where near finding a solution for the problem. The reason we are no where near finding a solution for the problem is because no time is a good time to take about gun control and gun violence. Shame on all of us for letting these things contrinue to happen.

  6. #36
    Sage
    mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    DC Metro
    Last Seen
    11-13-16 @ 12:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    22,499

    re: 26 reported killed in Newtown [W:72/89]

    18 Children were killed in their Kindergarten classroom, as well as 8 other adults. My heart goes out to the families, and breaks for the victims.

  7. #37
    Educator DemonMyst's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Seattle WA.
    Last Seen
    02-11-13 @ 12:31 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    727

    re: 26 reported killed in Newtown [W:72/89]

    Quote Originally Posted by danarhea View Post
    This is NOT the time to turn this tragedy into a political football. How dare you!!
    It should have been turned into a political football about 10 shootings ago.. How many people have to die before righties come to terms with the fact that the NRA is nothing more than a murderers friend.. We need effective gun control and we need restrictions on they types of guns the public can own..

  8. #38
    Educator DemonMyst's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Seattle WA.
    Last Seen
    02-11-13 @ 12:31 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    727

    re: 26 reported killed in Newtown [W:72/89]

    Quote Originally Posted by mac View Post
    18 Children were killed in their Kindergarten classroom, as well as 8 other adults. My heart goes out to the families, and breaks for the victims.
    I couldn't agree more..

    So sad.. Such a tragic event..

  9. #39
    Professor
    Hairytic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Mississippi
    Last Seen
    10-01-13 @ 04:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    1,592

    re: 26 reported killed in Newtown [W:72/89]

    Quote Originally Posted by Lachean View Post
    So? Would you rather people only have access to muzzle loaded black powder guns? You say semi-auto as if it were some kind of superior dangerous technology. Actually you said simi but...



    What is the problem? Violence? If you really ever expect that, or the existence of war, to be "solved" you have irrational expectations.
    There is no reason for a citizen to have weapons designed to kill in mass. Me saying this does not mean I think people should only be able to have muzzle loaded guns. I have no problem with sane law abiding citizens having hand guns, rifles, and or shot guns for protection or hunting. I do have a problem with people being able to get online and order thousands of rounds of amo and guns designed to kill in masses in a matter of seconds. I do have a problem with guns being sold with no background checks. I have a huge problem with people who have a history of violence being able to just go buy a gun and weapon and in a matter of hours kill people.
    Recently, a man in Florida killed a teenager because his music was too loud and he refused to turn it down.
    If you can't see there is something wrong, then I don't know what to tell you. If we see there is a problem but are not willing to at least try to find a viable solution then you are a big part of the problem.

  10. #40
    Professor
    Hairytic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Mississippi
    Last Seen
    10-01-13 @ 04:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    1,592

    re: 26 reported killed in Newtown [W:72/89]

    Quote Originally Posted by wolfman24 View Post
    There is another thread about the Conn. shooting and I think it says it all.

    WOuld be nice but will never happen.

    Damn Shame.

    When will it end and when will the gunnies realize the futility of their position.
    Sadly, the gunnies are unwilling to see the problem. The only time they will realize the futility of their position is if or when their own children are killed in gun violence.

Page 4 of 56 FirstFirst ... 234561454 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •