Page 28 of 56 FirstFirst ... 18262728293038 ... LastLast
Results 271 to 280 of 555

Thread: 26 reported killed in Newtown [W:72/89]

  1. #271
    Sage
    Fenton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,314

    Re: 26 reported killed in Newtown [W:72/89]

    Quote Originally Posted by Fisher View Post
    The current system of letting mentally ill
    people go to school and get SSI checks and roam the streets isn't working either. Guns have nothing to do with violent tendancies other than that some violent people use them. Taking away guns addresses nothing as to violence other than denying the non-violent the opportunity to defend themselves against the ones that we coddle in the name of protecting the rights of the mentally ill.

    The mentally ill are hardly coddled in this Country as they make up a large portion of the homeless population.

    You're talking about people who by no fault of their own have been forced to contend with a life of poverty and pain.

  2. #272
    Sage
    presluc's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Michigan
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 04:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    9,932

    Re: 26 reported killed in Newtown [W:72/89]

    Quote Originally Posted by Fisher View Post
    The current system of letting mentally ill people go to school and get SSI checks and roam the streets isn't working either. Guns have nothing to do with violent tendancies other than that some violent people use them. Taking away guns addresses nothing as to violence other than denying the non-violent the opportunity to defend themselves against the ones that we coddle in the name of protecting the rights of the mentally ill.
    So you're saying in their current system that mentally ill people can buy a gun or have access to a gun legally and that's why we need guns?
    To protect the average honest responsible people that buy guns from the mentally ill people that buy guns????

    Am I missing something here????

    I have two solutions to the current problemetic system of gun control's system.

    1. Stronger and more deliberate background checks with heavy prison sentences with anybody that breaks it and if a gun sold winds up at a crime scene directly heavy fines and loss of right to sell guns.

    2. NO BACKGROUND CHECKS ARM EVERY TEACHER EVER WORKER IN THE WORK PLACE EDOUBLE THE MALL AND STORE SECURITY WITH ARMED GUARDS, PAYED FOR BY THE NRA and it's FOllOWERS PLUS GUN TAX ON EACH WEAPON ,TEACHERS AND WORKERS AND LAW ENFORCEMENT EXEMPT OF COURSE.. SINCE THEIR WEAPONS ARE SUPPLIED BY THE NRA.
    Tiki bar regular.
    My code, never take anything for granted always expect the unexpexted.
    Never take anything you don't need ,never want anything you can't have

  3. #273
    Sage
    longview's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:09 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    14,361

    Re: 26 reported killed in Newtown [W:72/89]

    Quote Originally Posted by presluc View Post
    A 6 YEAR OLD IN FLINT MICHIGAN WAS SHOT IN THE FACE FROM A KID WHO STOLE HIS MOTHER'S BOYFRIEND'S GUN?
    Your point?
    I have many friends that own guns getting them and using them to kill others, even if they were dead would be most difficult.

    I find it extremely odd that this killers mother had 3 guns in her name bought legally by her but could not protect herself from being killed and taking the 3 guns and ammo she had???
    Your original comment,
    "However buying a gun not so much. evidently or there would not be so many nut jobs with guns killing innocent people and kids."
    made it sound like it is easy to buy a gun, and that was how this kid acquired the guns used.
    He took them from his mother, I think it is safe to say, she did not give her permission to use her guns to kill herself, and attack the school.

  4. #274
    Sporadic insanity normal.


    The Mark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Last Seen
    12-13-17 @ 11:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    19,736

    Re: 26 reported killed in Newtown [W:72/89]

    Quote Originally Posted by Hairytic View Post
    When is the right time to talk about gun control? It's an honest question. Can you answer that? We have got to talk about it sometime, and it has to be before this happens again and again. How many innocent lives have to be lost before we start the conversation? I wish we had talked about it and acted before this happened. Maybe we can get it done before the next time sweet and innocent lives are lost.
    If by gun control you mean that teachers are allowed (even required?) to carry firearms and trained to control them....maybe.

    Because short of having armed guards in every single classroom to prevent this kind of thing, that is the only thing that might do so.

    Gun control sure as hell won't.
    Education.

    Sometimes I think we're alone. Sometimes I think we're not. In either case, the thought is staggering. ~ R. Buckminster Fuller

  5. #275
    Sage
    presluc's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Michigan
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 04:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    9,932

    Re: 26 reported killed in Newtown [W:72/89]

    Quote Originally Posted by longview View Post
    Your original comment,
    "However buying a gun not so much. evidently or there would not be so many nut jobs with guns killing innocent people and kids."
    made it sound like it is easy to buy a gun, and that was how this kid acquired the guns used.
    He took them from his mother, I think it is safe to say, she did not give her permission to use her guns to kill herself, and attack the school.
    So a woman buys 3 guns to protect herself gets killed and the guns she bought are used to kill 26 innocent people?

    Gun owners should be responsible people , at least you will agree on that.

    However, where is the responsibility ?
    Colombine
    Virginia Tech
    Aurora
    Conn
    NEED I GO ON?

    When I was in the army I was responsible for my weapon no body else just ME.
    Nobody else used it no body else took care of it me.
    I kept it clean used it when I had to and turned it in clean.

    If gun owners think of a gun as a trophy that should not have one.
    If gun owners do not respect the gun they buy then they should not have one.
    If gun owners think that everybody will stay away from their gun just because they say so , then they should not have one.
    If gun owners have no place to keep their gun from being used by others then they should not have one
    If gun owners do not know how to treat a gun they should never be able to buy one.
    Tiki bar regular.
    My code, never take anything for granted always expect the unexpexted.
    Never take anything you don't need ,never want anything you can't have

  6. #276
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: 26 reported killed in Newtown [W:72/89]

    Quote Originally Posted by presluc View Post
    If gun owners think of a gun as a trophy that should not have one.
    If gun owners do not respect the gun they buy then they should not have one.
    If gun owners think that everybody will stay away from their gun just because they say so , then they should not have one.
    If gun owners have no place to keep their gun from being used by others then they should not have one
    If gun owners do not know how to treat a gun they should never be able to buy one.
    Heheh, the same could be said for having kids.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  7. #277
    Sage
    mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    DC Metro
    Last Seen
    11-13-16 @ 12:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    22,499

    Re: 26 reported killed in Newtown [W:72/89]

    Quote Originally Posted by presluc View Post
    If I applied for a loan of 5 grand would the bank just say "well can't tell if you are going to pay this back or not but here"?
    They'd check your credit score. What does your credit score say about your mental state?

    They run extensive background checks on you for an APARTMENT, A DRIVERS LICENSE, A CHAUFFERS LICENCE, EVEN PEOPLE THAT HAVE FOOD STAMPS HAVE EXTENSIVE BACKGROUND CHECKS.
    Arrest Record, Credit Score, and proof of employment. If you think that is an extensive check, you need to apply for a security clearance.

    However buying a gun not so much. evidently or there would not be so many nut jobs with guns killing innocent people and kids.
    The check your arrest record.

    Lets face it somebody screwed up on selling guns legally to nut jobs, and they keep screwing up.

    Whatever system the selling of guns has to not sell to nut jobs isn't working, time for a change.
    No, the guns were legally purchased and stolen from the person that legally purchased them .

  8. #278
    Sage
    Fisher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    12-06-13 @ 02:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    17,002

    Re: 26 reported killed in Newtown [W:72/89]

    Quote Originally Posted by presluc View Post
    So you're saying in their current system that mentally ill people can buy a gun or have access to a gun legally and that's why we need guns?
    To protect the average honest responsible people that buy guns from the mentally ill people that buy guns????

    Am I missing something here????

    I have two solutions to the current problemetic system of gun control's system.

    1. Stronger and more deliberate background checks with heavy prison sentences with anybody that breaks it and if a gun sold winds up at a crime scene directly heavy fines and loss of right to sell guns.

    2. NO BACKGROUND CHECKS ARM EVERY TEACHER EVER WORKER IN THE WORK PLACE EDOUBLE THE MALL AND STORE SECURITY WITH ARMED GUARDS, PAYED FOR BY THE NRA and it's FOllOWERS PLUS GUN TAX ON EACH WEAPON ,TEACHERS AND WORKERS AND LAW ENFORCEMENT EXEMPT OF COURSE.. SINCE THEIR WEAPONS ARE SUPPLIED BY THE NRA.
    What I am saying is that until we attack violence people need guns to protect themselves. Crack Addicts are not well-known abiders of the law to begin with so outlawing guns and doing nothing about violence is comparable to, well, about most things liberals do. Buying their non-violence with "crazy checks" as they are known on the skreets ain't working so well. Regardless, the 2nd Amendment is what it is.

  9. #279
    Sage
    Fisher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    12-06-13 @ 02:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    17,002

    Re: 26 reported killed in Newtown [W:72/89]

    Quote Originally Posted by Fenton View Post
    The mentally ill are hardly coddled in this Country as they make up a large portion of the homeless population.

    You're talking about people who by no fault of their own have been forced to contend with a life of poverty and pain.
    Mainstreaming mentally handicapped kids into the classroom to the detriment of other students so they do not feel different is coddling to me. If you are concerned about homeless mental patients, then you should support institutionalizing them and we can both be satisfied.

  10. #280
    Sage
    mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    DC Metro
    Last Seen
    11-13-16 @ 12:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    22,499

    Re: 26 reported killed in Newtown [W:72/89]

    Quote Originally Posted by presluc View Post
    So what , Americans are just supposed to wait around for another nut job with a gun to kill more innocent people just so the NRA and it's followers can make another speech about how this is being looked into.
    Why are you so fixated on the NRA?

    Question; when did the shooter buy the guns at the pawn shop before the Virginia tech murders?
    Question ;was the shooter from the Virginia Tech murders ever stopped by the police before the murders?
    Why don't you enlighten us?

    This was a cover up but 20 kids 6 yrs old is going to be a bit more difficult to cover up.
    I don't see anyone trying to cover this up. Personally, I'd like to find a way to make sure these things don't happen again. Attacking firearm possession just isn't going to do that.

Page 28 of 56 FirstFirst ... 18262728293038 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •