Page 34 of 63 FirstFirst ... 24323334353644 ... LastLast
Results 331 to 340 of 629

Thread: Two Gunmen at Newtown, Conn., Elementary School Shooting, One Dead [W:449/490/584]

  1. #331
    Sage
    Lutherf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Tucson, AZ
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    24,675

    re: Two Gunmen at Newtown, Conn., Elementary School Shooting, One Dead [W:449/490/584]

    Quote Originally Posted by Capster78 View Post

    Or, perhaps, we need to evolve our culture into one which believes no one needs to own a firearm at all other than police and military people.
    Perhaps we need to evolve our culture into one where personal responsibility is respected, encouraged and promoted rather than this cesspool where excuses are made for every damned **** up and where people turn first to the government to "solve" all that ails them.

  2. #332
    Sage
    Mycroft's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:59 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    25,862

    re: Two Gunmen at Newtown, Conn., Elementary School Shooting, One Dead [W:449/490/584]

    Quote Originally Posted by Saboteur View Post
    I blame human nature and the psychology of people who think they need to own a gun. you don't buy a gun because it looks nice on your coffe mug tree, you buy a gun to kill a person. I'm sick of this people kill people B.S.... No ****?! That's why they bought a gun DUH!
    I've owned a rifle for over 30 years and I've never intended to kill anyone.

    On the other hand, I've been in the U.S. Army and have had many situations in which I HAVE intended to kill people.

    At least in my case, I think you are wrong.
    TANSTAAFL

    “An armed society is a polite society.”
    ― Robert A. Heinlein, Beyond This Horizon

  3. #333
    Advisor
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    no longer posting
    Last Seen
    01-10-13 @ 02:56 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    453

    re: Two Gunmen at Newtown, Conn., Elementary School Shooting, One Dead [W:449/490/584]

    Quote Originally Posted by Saboteur View Post
    Whoa, man, thanks for that. I have quite the PTSD you know...
    Sarcasm doesn't change the fact that you were painting with an extremely broad brush and making comments that had no basis in reality. You act as though you have never met a gun owner.

  4. #334
    ˇSelah!
    Alyssa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    southern and midwestern United States where Protestant fundamentalism is dominant
    Last Seen
    05-07-14 @ 09:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    8,648
    Blog Entries
    2

    re: Two Gunmen at Newtown, Conn., Elementary School Shooting, One Dead [W:449/490/584]

    Quote Originally Posted by Neomalthusian View Post
    A very good question. Maybe they did realize and tried to do something about it, but there was only so much they could do. Or on the other hand, I suppose parents don't always see their own children in the most objective of lights.

    Another thing to consider is that "sociopath" is a colloquial term for Antisocial Personality Disorder, which isn't diagnosable until age 18 (at the earliest). The shooter was young, right? These personality traits may have emerged somewhat recently. Who knows?
    I guess it boggles my mind that the mother, a kindergarten teacher, apparently didn't know her teen son was a mass murderer. And child killer... that gives me the chills.

  5. #335
    Advisor melons's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Last Seen
    12-23-12 @ 09:41 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    376

    re: Two Gunmen at Newtown, Conn., Elementary School Shooting, One Dead [W:449/490/584]

    Quote Originally Posted by Saboteur View Post
    What do you do with your gun? Use it for a hammer? a Light switch? Back scratcher? Visual/tactile stimulation?
    Listen buddy, I've witnessed the murder of an innocent bystander who was the 22 year old mother of two. At least 3 lives were ruined and I can't get the image of a woman being shot in the face out of my mind because of your precious right to own a tool of destruction so you can feel 'safe' or 'tough' or whatever it does for you.

    Besides my point is that everyone who has a gun will kill someone because they wanted to when they bought the infernal thing. Admit it you want to kill someone you fantasize about it all the time. You're probably wishing you could shoot me and everybody else that doesn't agree with you right?
    Am I reading your post wrong? You actually think that everyone who owns a gun wants to kill someone? I am hoping you were joking. Otherwise, I think you forgot to take one of your meds today or something. That is really the most illogical thing I have read today and I have read some humdingers.

    Taking guns away from people would work about as well as making meth illegal. Oh yea, it is illegal and it is still everywhere!
    The Definition of Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
    Albert Einstein

  6. #336
    Pathetic Douchebag
    Cilogy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Texas
    Last Seen
    10-10-14 @ 05:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,587

    re: Two Gunmen at Newtown, Conn., Elementary School Shooting, One Dead [W:449/490/584]

    There has to be a middle ground between allowing open access to guns for everyone and banning all guns outright. Both are extremes and unnecessary, but there has to be something there in the middle where we can say "okay we've come up with a system where responsible people can have guns, but irresponsible people cannot."

    As Lutherf said above, personal responsibility needs to be encouraged. I think responsible gun ownership is something that takes a backseat to simply allowing access to guns and that's sort of the main problem.


  7. #337
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    76,306

    re: Two Gunmen at Newtown, Conn., Elementary School Shooting, One Dead [W:449/490/584]

    President Obama didn't forget to mention gun control during his touching speech.
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

  8. #338
    Global Moderator
    Rage More!
    Your Star's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    26,362

    re: Two Gunmen at Newtown, Conn., Elementary School Shooting, One Dead [W:449/490/584]

    Normally I tend to ignore these kind of tragedies, mainly because I have pretty extreme OCD, and things like this usually triggers that, and I know I'll end up in a ball in my bed not being able to think of much else. But I couldn't help but watch the news, and just cry. This was senseless, this was horrible, and I can't even really imagine how these families are feeling. Today we shouldn't be arguing, we are all family today. May God be with everyone today.
    Eat me, drink me, love me;
    Laura make much of me

  9. #339
    Sage
    Mycroft's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:59 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    25,862

    re: Two Gunmen at Newtown, Conn., Elementary School Shooting, One Dead [W:449/490/584]

    Quote Originally Posted by Your Star View Post
    Normally I tend to ignore these kind of tragedies, mainly because I have pretty extreme OCD, and things like this usually triggers that, and I know I'll end up in a ball in my bed not being able to think of much else. But I couldn't help but watch the news, and just cry. This was senseless, this was horrible, and I can't even really imagine how these families are feeling. Today we shouldn't be arguing, we are all family today. May God be with everyone today.
    It's okay to cry.

    TANSTAAFL

    “An armed society is a polite society.”
    ― Robert A. Heinlein, Beyond This Horizon

  10. #340
    Professor
    madman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    So. California
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    1,936

    re: Two Gunmen at Newtown, Conn., Elementary School Shooting, One Dead [W:449/490/584]

    The fundies are now chiming in. Praying would NOT have prevented this. People are so damn delusional.

    ----
    Fischer: God Didn't Stop CT School Shooting Because He's a Gentleman Who Doesn't Go Where He Is Not Wanted

    Fischer said that God could have protected the victims of this massacre, but didn't because "God is not going to go where he is not wanted" and so if school administrators really want to protect students, they will start every school day with prayer:




    Fischer: God Didn't Stop School Shooting Because He's A Gentleman Who Doesn't Go Where Not Wanted - YouTube

Page 34 of 63 FirstFirst ... 24323334353644 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •