Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 104

Thread: House votes: Michigan is going to become a 'right-to-work' state for all

  1. #71
    Sage

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Last Seen
    07-25-17 @ 12:35 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    5,878

    Re: House votes: Michigan is going to become a 'right-to-work' state for all

    Quote Originally Posted by poweRob View Post
    No. It's when the Republicans decided to go against unions after the 50's (Check out the "Labor" section of the 1956 Republican platform)... So they assaulted unions every since and the union membership dropped and the economy followed it down. No?
    This part:

    Workers have benefited by the progress which has been made in carrying out the programs and principles set forth in the 1952 Republican platform. All workers have gained and unions have grown in strength and responsibility, and have increased their membership by 2 millions.

    Furthermore, the process of free collective bargaining has been strengthened by the insistence of this Administration that labor and management settle their differences at the bargaining table without the intervention of the Government. This policy has brought to our country an unprecedented period of labor-management peace and understanding.

    We applaud the effective, unhindered, collective bargaining which brought an early end to the 1956 steel strike,
    Confused...sounds supportive to me?
    "The fact that we are here today to debate raising America's debt limit is a sign of leadership failure" - 2006 Senator Obama...leadership failure indeed!

  2. #72
    Sage
    poweRob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:41 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    35,099

    Re: House votes: Michigan is going to become a 'right-to-work' state for all

    Quote Originally Posted by Dickieboy View Post
    Did the Wisconsin legislature flip this past electoral cycle?
    1) Wisconsin isn't Michigan
    2) Gerrymandering in Wisconsin made sure it didn't.
    3) Evidence that Wisconsin Republicans are living on gerrymandered districts... Democrats outpolled Republicans in Wisconsin this last election by 200,000. Yet they are on the minority.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    The sad fact is that having a pedophile win is better than having a Democrat in office. I'm all for a solution where a Republican gets in that isn't Moore.

  3. #73
    Sage
    poweRob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:41 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    35,099

    Re: House votes: Michigan is going to become a 'right-to-work' state for all

    Quote Originally Posted by Dickieboy View Post
    This part:



    Confused...sounds supportive to me?
    That was my point. That was the 1956 GOP policies.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    The sad fact is that having a pedophile win is better than having a Democrat in office. I'm all for a solution where a Republican gets in that isn't Moore.

  4. #74
    Sage

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Last Seen
    07-25-17 @ 12:35 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    5,878

    Re: House votes: Michigan is going to become a 'right-to-work' state for all

    Quote Originally Posted by poweRob View Post
    That was my point. That was the 1956 GOP policies.
    Tsk...tsk, have you even read the 1956 GOP Platform? I expected you to return with this:

    Revise and improve the Taft-Hartley Act so as to protect more effectively the rights of labor unions, management, the individual worker, and the public. The protection of the right of workers to organize into unions and to bargain collectively is the firm and permanent policy of the Eisenhower Administration. In 1954, 1955 and again in 1956, President Eisenhower recommended constructive amendments to this Act. The Democrats in Congress have consistently blocked these needed changes by parliamentary
    Which was also included in the platform and union officials referred them to 'slave-labor' acts...now which is your point?

    ...damn! it seems I'm arguing with myself...
    "The fact that we are here today to debate raising America's debt limit is a sign of leadership failure" - 2006 Senator Obama...leadership failure indeed!

  5. #75
    Sage

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Last Seen
    07-25-17 @ 12:35 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    5,878

    Re: House votes: Michigan is going to become a 'right-to-work' state for all

    Quote Originally Posted by poweRob View Post
    1) Wisconsin isn't Michigan
    2) Gerrymandering in Wisconsin made sure it didn't.
    3) Evidence that Wisconsin Republicans are living on gerrymandered districts... Democrats outpolled Republicans in Wisconsin this last election by 200,000. Yet they are on the minority.
    Of course Wisconsin isn't Michigan...was that rhetorical? Anyway persuant to your response did the Michigan legislature flip in November?

    Of couse not...because of gerrymandering in Michigan...remind me who won, how which gave them the ability to gerrymander. Remember 'elections have consequences'.

    No evidence needed. It is unfortunate the Dems were not foresighted enough to realize the power of the census...
    "The fact that we are here today to debate raising America's debt limit is a sign of leadership failure" - 2006 Senator Obama...leadership failure indeed!

  6. #76
    Sage
    poweRob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:41 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    35,099

    Re: House votes: Michigan is going to become a 'right-to-work' state for all

    Quote Originally Posted by Dickieboy View Post
    Tsk...tsk, have you even read the 1956 GOP Platform? I expected you to return with this:



    Which was also included in the platform and union officials referred them to 'slave-labor' acts...now which is your point?

    ...damn! it seems I'm arguing with myself...
    They were very pro union in the 1952 stance and still pro union in 1956... The divide started getting larger then. And MUCH MUCH larger in the 1980's. Now days the GOP is anti-union 100% and it has nothing to do with the economy but only to do with trying to destroy a large portion of the Democratic base. They couldn't give a **** about our economy. They are a shrinking, dying party bent to maintain control by not expanding their base but by destroying their opposition's base.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    The sad fact is that having a pedophile win is better than having a Democrat in office. I'm all for a solution where a Republican gets in that isn't Moore.

  7. #77
    Sage

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Last Seen
    07-25-17 @ 12:35 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    5,878

    Re: House votes: Michigan is going to become a 'right-to-work' state for all

    Quote Originally Posted by poweRob View Post
    They were very pro union in the 1952 stance and still pro union in 1956... The divide started getting larger then. And MUCH MUCH larger in the 1980's. Now days the GOP is anti-union 100% and it has nothing to do with the economy but only to do with trying to destroy a large portion of the Democratic base. They couldn't give a **** about our economy. They are a shrinking, dying party bent to maintain control by not expanding their base but by destroying their opposition's base.
    You have moved from a specific point in 1956 to a generalization covering the next 50 years. How would you propose a cogent reply? I cannot argue that Unions have not become unpopular over that period nor that the GOP has had a hand in this. But I am also of the opinion that the Unions themselves bear some responsibility for this unpopularity as well. There decline cannot be borne solely by the GOP considering the parity in both state and federal government throughout the last 50 years.
    "The fact that we are here today to debate raising America's debt limit is a sign of leadership failure" - 2006 Senator Obama...leadership failure indeed!

  8. #78
    Sage
    poweRob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:41 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    35,099

    Re: House votes: Michigan is going to become a 'right-to-work' state for all

    Quote Originally Posted by Dickieboy View Post
    You have moved from a specific point in 1956 to a generalization covering the next 50 years. How would you propose a cogent reply? I cannot argue that Unions have not become unpopular over that period nor that the GOP has had a hand in this. But I am also of the opinion that the Unions themselves bear some responsibility for this unpopularity as well. There decline cannot be borne solely by the GOP considering the parity in both state and federal government throughout the last 50 years.
    I don't put it all on the GOP but this is a political forum and this is what we are talking about. I don't think all unions are great. They are a people institution and therefore can be flawed. They tend to go rotten when you have big membership and little participation from the membership and then an oligarchy ensues. But the politics of the downfall is right to work bills. They are the deathknell of unions and the GOP's tool for doing all they can to take them down.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    The sad fact is that having a pedophile win is better than having a Democrat in office. I'm all for a solution where a Republican gets in that isn't Moore.

  9. #79
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    12-15-17 @ 10:49 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    76,323

    Re: House votes: Michigan is going to become a 'right-to-work' state for all

    Quote Originally Posted by poweRob View Post
    If making me the topic of the thead is what gets your rocks off. Go for it. All I'm just saying is that this move is an obvious foreshadowing of a reaction to come.
    Your sexual inuendo won't help you here.
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

  10. #80
    Sage

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Last Seen
    07-25-17 @ 12:35 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    5,878

    Re: House votes: Michigan is going to become a 'right-to-work' state for all

    Quote Originally Posted by poweRob View Post
    I don't put it all on the GOP but this is a political forum and this is what we are talking about. I don't think all unions are great. They are a people institution and therefore can be flawed. They tend to go rotten when you have big membership and little participation from the membership and then an oligarchy ensues. But the politics of the downfall is right to work bills. They are the deathknell of unions and the GOP's tool for doing all they can to take them down.
    I just don't see the RTW as that damaging as others do. MANY unions exist in RTW states. Is the free rider an issue? It can be. I am currently in a discussion in another thread based on the suppostion that the free rider is capable of negotiating a better benefit package than that of the Union's negotiation. This would certainly negate any 'something for nothing' argument and would appear advantageous to the employer...

    Ultimately I believe that RTW will force the Unions to sell themselves better, which shouldn't be that hard to do. There is a certain reliable percentage of the workforce who simply do not want to negotiate benefits themselves and prefer others to ‘just take care of it for me’. I predict that once enough pressure is upon them they will excel and Union participation will explode.

    And to be clear I have no pro/anti position on Unions. If a majority wants to organize, fine with me. I hope it works out for you! (euphemistically of course…)
    "The fact that we are here today to debate raising America's debt limit is a sign of leadership failure" - 2006 Senator Obama...leadership failure indeed!

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •