Page 8 of 66 FirstFirst ... 6789101858 ... LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 660

Thread: Democrats threaten violence on Michigan House floor

  1. #71
    Slayer of the DP Newsbot
    danarhea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    39,763

    Re: Democrats threaten violence on Michigan House floor

    Blood there will be. The last time people were squeezed in the Motor City was in 1967. That was the year of the Detroit riots.
    The ghost of Jack Kevorkian for President's Physician: 2016

  2. #72
    Sage
    clownboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    08-17-16 @ 10:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    26,087

    Re: Democrats threaten violence on Michigan House floor

    Quote Originally Posted by Gimmesometruth View Post
    Your argument is absolutely nutty. Unions have always been interested in protecting their members well being and pay. To argue otherwise, and to somehow infer that laws protecting workers is not "something unions are interested in" is one of the greatest examples of self delusion I have ever seen written.
    Unions prefer legislation that comes from them, otherwise they're just not that interested - they need relevance to continue to collect dues.

    On January 23, 1968, President Lyndon B. Johnson submitted a comprehensive occupational health and safety bill to Congress.[9] Led by the United States Chamber of Commerce and the National Association of Manufacturers, the legislation was widely opposed by business.[14] Many labor leaders, including the leadership of the AFL-CIO, did not fight for the legislation, claiming workers had little interest in the bill.[14] The legislation died in committee.[7]

    Source

  3. #73
    Sage

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:24 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    5,490

    Re: Democrats threaten violence on Michigan House floor

    Quote Originally Posted by clownboy View Post
    One question then, come this January, do the republicans (we're making the, perhaps mistaken, assumption here that all republicans will vote for RTW and all democrats against) have the majority in the house to pass the bill onto the senate?
    democrats gained seats in the house, and enough republicans have said that they would have continued to vote no, so this wouldnt have gotten out of the house.

  4. #74
    Sage


    MaggieD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Chicago Area
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    43,243
    Blog Entries
    43

    Re: Democrats threaten violence on Michigan House floor

    Quote Originally Posted by randel View Post
    democrats gained seats in the house, and enough republicans have said that they would have continued to vote no, so this wouldnt have gotten out of the house.
    Real good reason for term limits. Legislators will vote their conscience instead of worrying about being re-elected.
    The devil whispered in my ear, "You cannot withstand the storm." I whispered back, "I am ​the storm."

  5. #75
    Sage
    clownboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    08-17-16 @ 10:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    26,087

    Re: Democrats threaten violence on Michigan House floor

    Quote Originally Posted by Gimmesometruth View Post
    I'm sorry where did you show otherwise? Please...link?
    Oh c'mon. Try google, or try here. The republicans will still have a clear majority in the Michigan house when the new legislature takes seat.

  6. #76
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    NJ
    Last Seen
    08-02-17 @ 02:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    13,375

    Re: Democrats threaten violence on Michigan House floor

    Quote Originally Posted by Gimmesometruth View Post
    Don't tell me to stfu, and the overturning of a bill requires a greater vote than this dirty 11th hour tactic by a bunch of lame duck reps who allowed no debate on the bill.
    sounds like your teacher left your class to go protest..

    You may want to read better...

  7. #77
    Sage
    AliHajiSheik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,390

    Re: Democrats threaten violence on Michigan House floor

    I saw the movie "There will be Blood". Pretty gritty movie and sure enough, there was blood. Right after the bloody scene, a couple of old ladies walked out. If they say there will be blood, BELIEVE THEM.

  8. #78
    Sage
    Gimmesometruth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    US Southwest
    Last Seen
    09-13-17 @ 10:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    22,405

    Re: Democrats threaten violence on Michigan House floor

    Quote Originally Posted by clownboy View Post
    Unions prefer legislation that comes from them, otherwise they're just not that interested - they need relevance to continue to collect dues.
    You can keep beating on this single data point (which gives no reason as to why the AFLCIO opposed Johnson's legislation), but then people who use single point arguments to support nutty ideas are not a surprise to me, it is a technique used primarily by conservatives....who are usually divorced from reality.


    Labor unions uneasy as OSHA withdraws proposed rules - The Hill
    Quote Originally Posted by trouble13 View Post
    If you wanna know why Trumpsters are ignoring you its for the same reason you ignored the KKKs complaints about Obama.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    When it comes down to it, all facts are cherry picked.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    He didn't say it didn't make sense. He said it is complete nonsense.

  9. #79
    Sage
    Dittohead not!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The Golden State
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    41,589

    Re: Democrats threaten violence on Michigan House floor

    Quote Originally Posted by johnny_rebson View Post
    You libs still don't get it.

    After Romney lost, you libs were telling us we needed to go the "big tent" route and go after new sets of voters. No we are doing that, we are courting the anti-labor voters. We will have their vote in the 2014 and 2016 elections.
    The "anti labor" voters?

    The ones who are against labor?

    That would be the people on the public dole, wouldn't it?

    Or are you referring to the idle rich?
    "Donald Trump is a phony, a fraud... [he's] playing the American public for suckers." Mitt Romney

  10. #80
    Sage
    Gimmesometruth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    US Southwest
    Last Seen
    09-13-17 @ 10:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    22,405

    Re: Democrats threaten violence on Michigan House floor

    Quote Originally Posted by clownboy View Post
    Oh c'mon. Try google, or try here. The republicans will still have a clear majority in the Michigan house when the new legislature takes seat.
    That wasn't the question, you were supposed to show that this legislation would be passed in the new legislature.

    Everyone is recognizing that this legislation was being absolutely rushed through in the 11th hour of this session....because of the change in the House. Otherwise, there would be no reason to rush it through, since, under your scenario, it still would be passed next session.
    Quote Originally Posted by trouble13 View Post
    If you wanna know why Trumpsters are ignoring you its for the same reason you ignored the KKKs complaints about Obama.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    When it comes down to it, all facts are cherry picked.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    He didn't say it didn't make sense. He said it is complete nonsense.

Page 8 of 66 FirstFirst ... 6789101858 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •