Page 7 of 66 FirstFirst ... 567891757 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 660

Thread: Democrats threaten violence on Michigan House floor

  1. #61
    Sage
    Taylor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    US
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:43 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,170

    Re: Democrats threaten violence on Michigan House floor

    Quote Originally Posted by randel View Post
    trying to be nice here, but you and maggie need to do some homework...all these 'bennies' didnt just come from the 'good hearts' of these businesses....40hr week, time and a half for overtime, vacation days, sick days, child labor laws...you can thank unions for them.
    Well, sort of. A lot of this was introduced in the Fair Labor Standards Act - passed amidst growing public anger over labor violence and sit down strikes. Unions were not doing a good job of dealing with these issues, so the government stepped in.

  2. #62
    Sage
    clownboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    08-17-16 @ 10:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    26,087

    Re: Democrats threaten violence on Michigan House floor

    Quote Originally Posted by Gimmesometruth View Post
    Too funny! You tell someone to research the history of these laws while you try to infer that union efforts had no connection with those laws.

    Wow!
    Do a little research into OSHA and the bills that formed it and then choose what flavor crow you'd like to ingest. The unions aren't all that interested in workplace safety that they did not author. Why, same as the loss leader tactic, the change when not dependent upon them makes them dispensible.

    I'd much rather be protected by legislation than a union. I'm already paying government to represent me in these matters, don't need a huckster middleman.

  3. #63
    long standing member
    justabubba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    36,176

    Re: Democrats threaten violence on Michigan House floor

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    You credit unions with vacations? Retirement plans? Sick Days? Break facilities? Pensions? I've got big news for you!! Those bennies are rife in nonunion workplaces.
    yes, because they had to offer those same things the union negotiated for and won in order to compete for employees

    so, those employees who object to paying union dues should insist on working in non-union shops where there will be no expectation for them to pay union dues
    we are negotiating about dividing a pizza and in the meantime israel is eating it
    once you're over the hill you begin to pick up speed

  4. #64
    Sage

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 02:24 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    5,490

    Re: Democrats threaten violence on Michigan House floor

    Quote Originally Posted by clownboy View Post
    Still dodging that you mis-spoke (to put it gently) regarding the lame duck/legislative mix change. This bill passage is not being done in lame duck session because it couldn't be done in the new legislature as you assert. The new legislature is still on the side of the RTW law.
    better check that, this would not have happened in january....the repubs lost seats in the house, and several repubs would have voted with the dems in the house....this would have gone nowhere.

  5. #65
    Sage
    clownboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    08-17-16 @ 10:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    26,087

    Re: Democrats threaten violence on Michigan House floor

    Quote Originally Posted by Gimmesometruth View Post
    You are asserting that the new Dems (4) are on the "side" of RTW?

    The burden of proof is yours.
    More problems with comprehension. You asserted there was a significant enough change in the legislative mix that the RTW bill could only pass in the lame duck session, before the new legislature takes office. Turns out that's not the case. Keep ducking and weaving.
    Last edited by clownboy; 12-11-12 at 03:08 PM.

  6. #66
    Sage
    clownboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    08-17-16 @ 10:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    26,087

    Re: Democrats threaten violence on Michigan House floor

    Quote Originally Posted by randel View Post
    better check that, this would not have happened in january....the repubs lost seats in the house, and several repubs would have voted with the dems in the house....this would have gone nowhere.
    One question then, come this January, do the republicans (we're making the, perhaps mistaken, assumption here that all republicans will vote for RTW and all democrats against) have the majority in the house to pass the bill onto the senate?

  7. #67
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Last Seen
    09-18-16 @ 03:33 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    12,029

    Re: Democrats threaten violence on Michigan House floor

    Excellent! Time to give conservatives a taste of their own medicine!

  8. #68
    Sage
    Gimmesometruth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    US Southwest
    Last Seen
    09-13-17 @ 10:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    22,405

    Re: Democrats threaten violence on Michigan House floor

    Quote Originally Posted by clownboy View Post
    Do a little research into OSHA and the bills that formed it and then choose what flavor crow you'd like to ingest. The unions aren't all that interested in workplace safety that they did not author. Why, same as the loss leader tactic, the change when not dependent upon them makes them dispensible.

    I'd much rather be protected by legislation than a union. I'm already paying government to represent me in these matters, don't need a huckster middleman.
    Your argument is absolutely nutty. Unions have always been interested in protecting their members well being and pay. To argue otherwise, and to somehow infer that laws protecting workers is not "something unions are interested in" is one of the greatest examples of self delusion I have ever seen.
    Last edited by Gimmesometruth; 12-11-12 at 03:14 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by trouble13 View Post
    If you wanna know why Trumpsters are ignoring you its for the same reason you ignored the KKKs complaints about Obama.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    When it comes down to it, all facts are cherry picked.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    He didn't say it didn't make sense. He said it is complete nonsense.

  9. #69
    Sage
    clownboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    08-17-16 @ 10:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    26,087

    Re: Democrats threaten violence on Michigan House floor

    Quote Originally Posted by head of joaquin View Post
    Excellent! Time to give conservatives a taste of their own medicine!
    Yeah, cause that worked out for you folks so well in Wisconsin.

  10. #70
    Sage
    Gimmesometruth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    US Southwest
    Last Seen
    09-13-17 @ 10:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    22,405

    Re: Democrats threaten violence on Michigan House floor

    Quote Originally Posted by clownboy View Post
    More problems with comprehension. You asserted there was a significant enough change in the legislative mix that the RTW bill could only pass in the lame duck session, before the new legislature takes office. Turns out that's not the case. Keep ducking and weaving.
    I'm sorry where did you show otherwise? Please...link?
    Quote Originally Posted by trouble13 View Post
    If you wanna know why Trumpsters are ignoring you its for the same reason you ignored the KKKs complaints about Obama.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    When it comes down to it, all facts are cherry picked.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    He didn't say it didn't make sense. He said it is complete nonsense.

Page 7 of 66 FirstFirst ... 567891757 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •