Page 5 of 66 FirstFirst ... 345671555 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 660

Thread: Democrats threaten violence on Michigan House floor

  1. #41
    Sage


    MaggieD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Chicago Area
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    43,243
    Blog Entries
    43

    Re: Democrats threaten violence on Michigan House floor

    Quote Originally Posted by randel View Post
    they are 'rife' as you put it, because unions led the way in getting them, and non union shops had to offer them to compete.
    Yes, I'm sure all those other businesses like banks and hospitals and investment companies and customs companies and car repair shops and ad infinitum had to offer those benefits to compete for people who work on the line at an assembly plant.
    The devil whispered in my ear, "You cannot withstand the storm." I whispered back, "I am ​the storm."

  2. #42
    Sage
    Taylor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    US
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:40 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,169

    Re: Democrats threaten violence on Michigan House floor

    Quote Originally Posted by randel View Post
    they are 'rife' as you put it, because unions led the way in getting them, and non union shops had to offer them to compete.
    A bit like how states like Michigan are having to make changes in order to compete with RTW states in attracting companies.

  3. #43
    Sage
    clownboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    08-17-16 @ 10:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    26,087

    Re: Democrats threaten violence on Michigan House floor

    Quote Originally Posted by randel View Post
    they are 'rife' as you put it, because unions led the way in getting them, and non union shops had to offer them to compete.
    Except that's not true. There are many non-union companies companies that have no union competitive pressure that also offer said benefits. In fact, before the public sector unions were even in play in Wisconsin the state already had a law creating these benefits for public service employees.

  4. #44
    Sage

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Last Seen
    11-06-17 @ 08:50 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    5,490

    Re: Democrats threaten violence on Michigan House floor

    Quote Originally Posted by Taylor View Post
    A bit like how states like Michigan are having to make changes in order to compete with RTW states in attracting companies.
    you mean 'right to work for less money, less benefits, and less workplace safety'? yeah, thats a hell of a way to compete.

  5. #45
    Sage
    clownboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    08-17-16 @ 10:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    26,087

    Re: Democrats threaten violence on Michigan House floor

    Quote Originally Posted by Gimmesometruth View Post
    So your argument is to compare continuing benefit you receive without any effort from you....to a one time address error?

    Keep digging that hole.
    Keep on with the lack of comprehension, it exposes the weakness in your position.

  6. #46
    Sage

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Last Seen
    11-06-17 @ 08:50 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    5,490

    Re: Democrats threaten violence on Michigan House floor

    Quote Originally Posted by clownboy View Post
    Except that's not true. There are many non-union companies companies that have no union competitive pressure that also offer said benefits. In fact, before the public sector unions were even in play in Wisconsin the state already had a law creating these benefits for public service employees.
    trying to be nice here, but you and maggie need to do some homework...all these 'bennies' didnt just come from the 'good hearts' of these businesses....40hr week, time and a half for overtime, vacation days, sick days, child labor laws...you can thank unions for them.

  7. #47
    Sage
    Gimmesometruth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    US Southwest
    Last Seen
    09-13-17 @ 10:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    22,405

    Re: Democrats threaten violence on Michigan House floor

    Quote Originally Posted by clownboy View Post
    But, it is only MI reps that can vote on the matter and that is what we were talking about.
    No, it was not what I (me) was talking about. Here you are talking about "comprehension", total hypocrisy.
    As for that last, KMA, this is a discussion board and the only control you have in the discussion is over what YOU post.
    Reported.



    Perhaps, but since you haven't a clue what my experience is, it's foolish to make such a statement. Especially considering I'm correct. Are you sticking with the assertion that a repeal bill takes more votes than the original bill did? Or are you just covering for the fact you mis-spoke and the change in legislative mix is so slight as to be a non-factor here.
    Now you have gone into putting words into my mouth, along with the insults and hypocrisy on "comprehension".

    The MI house is a very small GOP majority, even less so with the Nov elections. IF a repeal bill did get through the House next session, there is no way it would get through the Senate....since it is very securely held by the GOP.
    Quote Originally Posted by trouble13 View Post
    If you wanna know why Trumpsters are ignoring you its for the same reason you ignored the KKKs complaints about Obama.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    When it comes down to it, all facts are cherry picked.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    He didn't say it didn't make sense. He said it is complete nonsense.

  8. #48
    Sage
    Gimmesometruth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    US Southwest
    Last Seen
    09-13-17 @ 10:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    22,405

    Re: Democrats threaten violence on Michigan House floor

    Quote Originally Posted by clownboy View Post
    Keep on with the lack of comprehension, it exposes the weakness in your position.
    If you can't defend your silly comparison, it isn't me with the "weakness".
    Quote Originally Posted by trouble13 View Post
    If you wanna know why Trumpsters are ignoring you its for the same reason you ignored the KKKs complaints about Obama.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    When it comes down to it, all facts are cherry picked.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    He didn't say it didn't make sense. He said it is complete nonsense.

  9. #49
    Sage


    MaggieD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Chicago Area
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    43,243
    Blog Entries
    43

    Re: Democrats threaten violence on Michigan House floor

    Quote Originally Posted by randel View Post
    trying to be nice here, but you and maggie need to do some homework...all these 'bennies' didnt just come from the 'good hearts' of these businesses....40hr week, time and a half for overtime, vacation days, sick days, child labor laws...you can thank unions for them.
    What have they done for us lately? In other words, the purpose of their organizations' founding has long since been lost and its goals are based on greed of the union itself to survive and remain relevant.
    The devil whispered in my ear, "You cannot withstand the storm." I whispered back, "I am ​the storm."

  10. #50
    Sage
    Taylor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    US
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:40 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,169

    Re: Democrats threaten violence on Michigan House floor

    Quote Originally Posted by randel View Post
    you mean 'right to work for less money, less benefits, and less workplace safety'? yeah, thats a hell of a way to compete.
    Beats standing around in Janesville, staring at the ground with your hands in your pockets.

Page 5 of 66 FirstFirst ... 345671555 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •