Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 21 to 23 of 23

Thread: Corker: Why We Should Just Raise Taxes on Rich

  1. #21
    Guru
    Chaddelamancha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    09-22-17 @ 12:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,546

    Re: Corker: Why We Should Just Raise Taxes on Rich

    Quote Originally Posted by AliHajiSheik View Post
    I don't know about your characterization of your opponents, but SS is well funded. Except when we have to start paying even more taxes to pay back the IOU's that represent the borrowing from the Social Security Trust fund.

    If the medical profession goes to single payer, I hope the legal profession does as well.
    The problem isn't with SS itself, but with the government borrowing money from it. It's disgusting.
    Hail to the King baby!

  2. #22
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Fort Worth, Tx
    Last Seen
    01-27-13 @ 12:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    439

    Re: Corker: Why We Should Just Raise Taxes on Rich

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Fabulous View Post
    I think taking positions like this is a big reason why we have gotten this close to the abyss in the first place.

    We're well past the point of being able to pick and choose which expenditures get cut and which ones are spared. With a 1.2 trillion dollar deficit, just raising the top tax bracket to 39.6% only cuts into that figure by 50-80 billion. Now we're at 1.13ish trillion. Not anywhere close to where we need to be. Cut the military? OK, let's lop 10% off the top. That saves us about 70 billion bringing our deficit number down to about 1.06 trillion. Still not anywhere close to where we need to be.

    See where I'm going with this? We need to cut everywhere. Nothing should be safe at this point.
    Lets lop off 40% at 10% we are doing nothing we spend double what the rest of the world combined on Military. We could cut it 50% to 60% and still be able to defend our nation! So lets gets serious. 20% on Medicare and Medicade would still not get us there. Then go after corporate welfare. Believe me there is money to be found. We could raise the top rate to 45% as well. Remeber I am for letting all the tax cuts expire.

  3. #23
    Sage
    AliHajiSheik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,377

    Re: Corker: Why We Should Just Raise Taxes on Rich

    Quote Originally Posted by TaraAnne View Post
    Lets lop off 40% at 10% we are doing nothing we spend double what the rest of the world combined on Military. We could cut it 50% to 60% and still be able to defend our nation! So lets gets serious. 20% on Medicare and Medicade would still not get us there. Then go after corporate welfare. Believe me there is money to be found. We could raise the top rate to 45% as well. Remeber I am for letting all the tax cuts expire.
    I too believe the military can be reduced, but I really appreciate the Navy keeping the sea lanes open. The British used to do that in the 1700 and 1800's and part of hte 1900's and now it is the US. Oh, and I really like having Aircraft Carriers show up after natural disasters to help rescue people. I bet a few Indonesians studied who Abraham Lincoln was when they heard about this huge ship bearing his name was helping rescue their citizens. Yeah, I like aircraft carriers. What kind of stuff does the military do that you like and wouldn't want cut?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •