Page 8 of 36 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 358

Thread: Judge finds NC "Choose Life" plate unconstitutioonal

  1. #71
    Sometimes wrong

    ttwtt78640's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Uhland, Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:51 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    34,544

    Re: Judge finds NC "Choose Life" plate unconstitutioonal

    Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    Seems the issue could be easily resolved then.

    Some like yourself could have "Choose Death" license plates and the less enlightened could have "Choose Life" license plates.
    The prefered "opposite" is usually "pro choice", but other alternatives were offered, yet all were rejected by the state legislature. Your sarcastic use of which political opinion is "less enlightened" is very telling of your bias on the issue, the very basis of the lawsuit. Hmm...
    “The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists to adapt the world to himself.
    Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” ― George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman

  2. #72
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: Judge finds NC "Choose Life" plate unconstitutioonal

    Quote Originally Posted by ttwtt78640 View Post
    The prefered "opposite" is usually "pro choice", but other alternatives were offered, yet all were rejected by the state legislature. Your sarcastic use of which political opinion is "less enlightened" is very telling of your bias on the issue, the very basis of the lawsuit. Hmm...
    With just a little investigation you'll find that there are many people who have strong opinions on abortion. I just think it odd that there are people who would actually be offended at the sight of "Choose Life". Is that so offensive? It must be the same crowd who have trouble dealing with Christmas trees.

  3. #73
    Sometimes wrong

    ttwtt78640's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Uhland, Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:51 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    34,544

    Re: Judge finds NC "Choose Life" plate unconstitutioonal

    Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    With just a little investigation you'll find that there are many people who have strong opinions on abortion. I just think it odd that there are people who would actually be offended at the sight of "Choose Life". Is that so offensive? It must be the same crowd who have trouble dealing with Christmas trees.
    You missed the entire point of the OP's lawsuit. It was not simply against the free use of the issued tag's opinion, it was against not having any equal opportunity to counter it. The state legislature accpted stating one political viewpoint (via state issued tags) and rejected the stating of the opposing political viewpoint (via state issued tags).
    “The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists to adapt the world to himself.
    Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” ― George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman

  4. #74
    Struggler
    JayDubya's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Last Seen
    11-09-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    17,181

    Re: Judge finds NC "Choose Life" plate unconstitutioonal

    Thanks to the First Amendment, Congress is unable to pass a law abridging freedom of speech.

    Under the Fourteenth Amendment "doctrine of incorporation," state legislatures are also unable to pass laws abridging freedom of speech.

    If a state offers an OPTION to buy a non-standard license plate, this does not violate anyone's freedom of speech whatsoever. Everyone is just as capable of saying whatever political statement they want. If they want to put it on their car, there are bumper stickers.



    I don't care if you're pro- or anti-abortion, we should all be anti-****ing retarded activist judges who can't read plain English. Or for that matter, a hypocritical, backwards organization like the ACLU.
    Last edited by JayDubya; 12-11-12 at 12:10 PM.

  5. #75
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    SE Asia
    Last Seen
    07-12-14 @ 10:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    2,333

    Re: Judge finds NC "Choose Life" plate unconstitutioonal

    Quote Originally Posted by H. Lee White View Post
    When it suits them and their particular political point of view.
    How many times has the ACLU gone to bat for the pro-gun rights position?
    The 2nd Amendment certainly isn't their focus but still....

    ACLU Backs Gun Advocate in Suit Against Philly Police | NBC 10 Philadelphia

    ACLU Sues to Expand Immigrant's Gun Rights in South Dakota | Fox News

    ACLU Sues to Get RI Man His Guns | The Truth About Guns

    The ACLU Defends Gun Rights - Hit & Run : Reason.com

  6. #76
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: Judge finds NC "Choose Life" plate unconstitutioonal

    Quote Originally Posted by ttwtt78640 View Post
    You missed the entire point of the OP's lawsuit. It was not simply against the free use of the issued tag's opinion, it was against not having any equal opportunity to counter it. The state legislature accpted stating one political viewpoint (via state issued tags) and rejected the stating of the opposing political viewpoint (via state issued tags).

    The point is glaringly obvious but why find the need to counter "Choose Life"? What's so bad about that?

    Those who find an innocuous couple of words like "Choose Life" offensive, and go to court about it, should choose a more productive life themselves.

  7. #77
    Professor
    Monserrat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    US
    Last Seen
    04-29-14 @ 11:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,497

    Re: Judge finds NC "Choose Life" plate unconstitutioonal

    Quote Originally Posted by Anagram View Post
    I kind of agree with them. If you are going to offer one side of a controversial issue on a license plate, you should probably be offering the other one.
    Or we can rise above the intellectual level of a 5 year old who wants something just because his sibling got it too.

    Honestly, it's a ****ing licence plate, it's not changing anyone's views. This is one of those "choose your battles" moments in life. It's the same thing as the whole 'freedom fries' debacle. Who ****ing cares? Why not spend your time on something that actually matters?

    *edit* Rant not aimed specifically at you
    Last edited by Monserrat; 12-11-12 at 12:46 PM.
    I believe half of the things I say and say half of the things I believe.

  8. #78
    Sage
    Caine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    10-05-17 @ 01:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    23,336

    Re: Judge finds NC "Choose Life" plate unconstitutioonal

    Quote Originally Posted by Monserrat View Post
    Or we can rise above the intellectual level of a 5 year old who wants something just because his sibling got it too.

    Honestly, it's a ****ing licence plate, it's not changing anyone's views. This is one of those "choose your battles" moments in life. It's the same thing as the whole 'freedom fries' debacle. Who ****ing cares? Why not spend your time on something that actually matters?
    iLOL @ the Irony in your post.


    The "Freedom Fries" idea also originated from a North Carolina politician and a region of North Carolina on the coast.
    "I condemn the ideology of White Supremacy and Nazism. They are thugs, criminals, and repugnant, and are against what I believe to be "The American Way" "
    Thus my obligatory condemnation of White supremacy will now be in every post, lest I be accused of supporting it because I didn't mention it specifically every time I post.

  9. #79
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Last Seen
    08-29-17 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    16,575

    Re: Judge finds NC "Choose Life" plate unconstitutioonal

    Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    Those who find an innocuous couple of words like "Choose Life" offensive, and go to court about it, should choose a more productive life themselves.
    People do not find words like "Choose Life" offensive, what they find offesive is that you cannot have "Pro-Choice" as well. What's so wrong about Pro-Choice or are you one of those that are "offended" if the government would allow that on plates?

  10. #80
    Professor
    Monserrat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    US
    Last Seen
    04-29-14 @ 11:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,497

    Re: Judge finds NC "Choose Life" plate unconstitutioonal

    Quote Originally Posted by Caine View Post
    iLOL @ the Irony in your post.


    The "Freedom Fries" idea also originated from a North Carolina politician and a region of North Carolina on the coast.
    Where's the irony? People wasting their time on stupid things...
    I believe half of the things I say and say half of the things I believe.

Page 8 of 36 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •