Page 18 of 36 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast
Results 171 to 180 of 358

Thread: Judge finds NC "Choose Life" plate unconstitutioonal

  1. #171
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: Judge finds NC "Choose Life" plate unconstitutioonal

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    And yet that is the goal of the right to life movement, for which "choose life" is one of their mottos.
    Shouldn't it be everyone's motto? Where do you find the harm?

  2. #172
    Professor
    Bigfoot 88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    12-01-15 @ 06:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    2,027
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Judge finds NC "Choose Life" plate unconstitutioonal

    Quote Originally Posted by Muddy Creek View Post
    You miss the point..you can't offer one side of the equation and not the other.
    A "I love America" plate would have to be accompanied by a "I hate America" plate?

    Something tells me this Constitution is not what the Founders wrote.
    "I have never understood why it is "greed" to want to keep the money you have earned but not greed to want to take somebody else's money." -Thomas Sowell

  3. #173
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: Judge finds NC "Choose Life" plate unconstitutioonal

    Quote Originally Posted by DemonMyst View Post
    Since over 70% of all abortions are done on women that identify themselves as Chrstians, 'they' is pretty obvious.. Because 'they' also are against birth control and they also tried to shut down planned parenthood.. So 'they' is pretty obvious..

    Just saying..


    Christians have abortions

    In either case.. This is somewhat off topic.. Sort of at least.. Whatever your view on abortion.. The state or any government entity can't be seen as taking a stand or backing a specific point of view.. Free speech does not protect the speech of the state.. We the people have the right to free speech.. The state end federal government do not.. The ruling the court made is entirely correct..
    If, as you claim, Christians are having abortions then "they" can hardly be Christians.

  4. #174
    Educator

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Last Seen
    12-06-15 @ 08:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    1,226

    Re: Judge finds NC "Choose Life" plate unconstitutioonal

    Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    Shouldn't it be everyone's motto? Where do you find the harm?
    It's not. The harm is in that you think only your motto should be an option.

    Your argument is dishonest. It is clear what "choose life" implies to any informed person.

  5. #175
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    10-30-14 @ 12:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,908

    Re: Judge finds NC "Choose Life" plate unconstitutioonal

    Quote Originally Posted by H. Lee White View Post
    Judge finds NC ‘Choose Life’ plates unconstitutional | MyFOX8.com

    So.... if NC issued a “Slavery Sucks!” plate, the ACLU would sue if the state does not also offer a “Slavery Rocks!” plate?
    It shows you how deranged and ignorant some judges are.

    This is what happens when idiots find themselves in a position of power.

    I didn't read the ruling, but I'm assuming (and ironically) it was a First Amendment issue and the judge is a progressive?

  6. #176
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    10-30-14 @ 12:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,908

    Re: Judge finds NC "Choose Life" plate unconstitutioonal

    Quote Originally Posted by BayToBay View Post
    It's not. The harm is in that you think only your motto should be an option.

    Your argument is dishonest. It is clear what "choose life" implies to any informed person.
    Who cares about the implication. If the plates read: "Obey Jesus" you may have a point and the judge would have one too but that is not the case.

    The states/federal government can't endorse a particular religion - that doesn't make "choose life" an endorsement of anything - its nothing more than a slogan, and people can interpret it how they want.

    Besides, "choose life" isn't even religious... I'm sure there are plenty of atheists and agnostics who believe abortion is wrong too.

  7. #177
    Educator DemonMyst's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Seattle WA.
    Last Seen
    02-11-13 @ 12:31 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    727

    Re: Judge finds NC "Choose Life" plate unconstitutioonal

    Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    If, as you claim, Christians are having abortions then "they" can hardly be Christians.
    Isn't that kind of a moot point?? Just because you may not agree with someone's behavior doesn't mean they aren't christians.. All that is to me is a denial of responsibility..

    Yes, statistically speaking, Christians by far get most of the abortions.. Much of that is also a reflection of their belief that birth control is bad.. Whatever you want to call them.. Christians are on the wrong end of this arguement.. They should support birth control and planned parenthood.. The best way to prevent abortion is prevent prenancy.. There is nothing in the bible that says birth control is bad.. I fail to see what their issue with it is..

  8. #178
    Global Moderator
    Moderator
    Anagram's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    St. Louis MO
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    6,190

    Re: Judge finds NC "Choose Life" plate unconstitutioonal

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Nick View Post
    Who cares about the implication. If the plates read: "Obey Jesus" you may have a point and the judge would have one too but that is not the case.

    The states/federal government can't endorse a particular religion - that doesn't make "choose life" an endorsement of anything - its nothing more than a slogan, and people can interpret it how they want.

    Besides, "choose life" isn't even religious... I'm sure there are plenty of atheists and agnostics who believe abortion is wrong too.
    The argument made wasn't that "choose life" was a religious slogan. The argument against it had to do with the state issuing an anti-abortion license plate, but refusing to offer a comparable one for the pro-choice position.
    There should be Instant Runoff Voting

  9. #179
    Professor
    Bigfoot 88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    12-01-15 @ 06:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    2,027
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Judge finds NC "Choose Life" plate unconstitutioonal

    Quote Originally Posted by Anagram View Post
    The argument made wasn't that "choose life" was a religious slogan. The argument against it had to do with the state issuing an anti-abortion license plate, but refusing to offer a comparable one for the pro-choice position.
    Fine. The Judge should order them to make a "Choose Murder" license plate for all that want to promote their views.
    "I have never understood why it is "greed" to want to keep the money you have earned but not greed to want to take somebody else's money." -Thomas Sowell

  10. #180
    Educator

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Last Seen
    12-06-15 @ 08:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    1,226

    Re: Judge finds NC "Choose Life" plate unconstitutioonal

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Nick View Post
    Who cares about the implication. If the plates read: "Obey Jesus" you may have a point and the judge would have one too but that is not the case.

    The states/federal government can't endorse a particular religion - that doesn't make "choose life" an endorsement of anything - its nothing more than a slogan, and people can interpret it how they want.

    Besides, "choose life" isn't even religious... I'm sure there are plenty of atheists and agnostics who believe abortion is wrong too.
    It's propoganda used by opponents of legal abortions. Quit lying. Any decent judge would have your ass for offering up that nonsense as a legitimate argument.

    It has nothing to with it being religious. It's a violation of the first amendment's protection of free speech because NC is practicing viewpoint discrimination.

Page 18 of 36 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •