Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 91

Thread: IMF chief says U.S. needs blend of spending cuts, revenue raising

  1. #41
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Florida
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    23,373

    Re: IMF chief says U.S. needs blend of spending cuts, revenue raising

    Quote Originally Posted by ttwtt78640 View Post
    If most, if not all, of that "infrastucture" already existed then what is all of this new Obama spending about? The bulk of it was to bailout unions, state/local gov'ts, "invest" in green energy and support exactly what Obama blamed Bush for doing. Yes he did!
    That "existing" infrastucture was built with Govt. money starting with FDR's stimulus programs in the 1930's. It's like you don't know that stuff gets old and needs repair. We have been neglecting our infrastucture since Reagan and it is because of politicians who didn't care or think about it. They prefered tax cuts instead.

  2. #42
    Sometimes wrong

    ttwtt78640's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Uhland, Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    34,602

    Re: IMF chief says U.S. needs blend of spending cuts, revenue raising

    Quote Originally Posted by iguanaman View Post
    That "existing" infrastucture was built with Govt. money starting with FDR's stimulus programs in the 1930's. It's like you don't know that stuff gets old and needs repair. We have been neglecting our infrastucture since Reagan and it is because of politicians who didn't care or think about it. They prefered tax cuts instead.
    Again, show me what "infrastructure" Obama has funded with his massive 20% increase in federal spending.
    “The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists to adapt the world to himself.
    Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” ― George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman

  3. #43
    Sometimes wrong

    ttwtt78640's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Uhland, Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    34,602

    Re: IMF chief says U.S. needs blend of spending cuts, revenue raising

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    Neither needs to be first or second. Have them put on their big girl panties and do both at the same time.
    They did, but perhaps not well. It is what we now call the "fiscal cliff" - real tax increases and spending cuts.
    “The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists to adapt the world to himself.
    Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” ― George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman

  4. #44
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Florida
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    23,373

    Re: IMF chief says U.S. needs blend of spending cuts, revenue raising

    Quote Originally Posted by ttwtt78640 View Post
    Again, show me what "infrastructure" Obama has funded with his massive 20% increase in federal spending.
    There has been no 20% increase in spending since Bush's 2009 budget. The House has blocked any further infrastucture spending since the stimulus.

  5. #45
    Sometimes wrong

    ttwtt78640's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Uhland, Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    34,602

    Re: IMF chief says U.S. needs blend of spending cuts, revenue raising

    Quote Originally Posted by iguanaman View Post
    There has been no 20% increase in spending since Bush's 2009 budget. The House has blocked any further infrastucture spending since the stimulus.
    The 2008/2009 federal spending increase included the "one time", crisis, emergency TARP and stimulus 1 spending (and was 20% more than in 2007), that elevated level of federal spending has been maintained, by continuing reslolution, in each subsequent Obama year. Obama and the MSM can lie and state that Obama never "increased" federal spending but that does not make it so.

    Historical Federal Receipt and Outlay Summary
    “The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists to adapt the world to himself.
    Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” ― George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman

  6. #46
    Sage
    Taylor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    US
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:57 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,170

    Re: IMF chief says U.S. needs blend of spending cuts, revenue raising

    Quote Originally Posted by Hairytic View Post
    I don't have a problem with cuts if they are reasonable and preserves the system for future generations. What I oppose is cutting the program to the point of bankrupting it. I also don't think its a good idea to privitize it.
    Neither political party wants to bankrupt it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hairytic View Post
    When a surgeon opperates, he/she will not just pick up a scalpel and start cutting the patient up in pieces. Cuts need to be stratigic and well thought out to bring about sustainability.
    Unless the problem has progressed to the point where they simply take the whole leg or arm or anything to keep the person from dying.

  7. #47
    Iconoclast
    DaveFagan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    wny
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:00 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    7,299

    Re: IMF chief says U.S. needs blend of spending cuts, revenue raising

    Quote Originally Posted by ttwtt78640 View Post
    Again, show me what "infrastructure" Obama has funded with his massive 20% increase in federal spending.
    "Recessions cause deficits, deficits don't cause recessions!" and I draw your attention to the "GWShiiteForBrains" great recession that Obama inherited. Bailouts, bailouts and more bailouts and they all cost money. A huge domino effect that is still causing some problems. The $2 trillion in tax cuts and a couple of trillion for unfunded wars might still be a problem. How's things in the bubble? Eh?

  8. #48
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: IMF chief says U.S. needs blend of spending cuts, revenue raising

    Quote Originally Posted by ttwtt78640 View Post
    They did, but perhaps not well. It is what we now call the "fiscal cliff" - real tax increases and spending cuts.
    It is an option. And while painful, we will survive. There is no real way to cut spending and not lose jobs. Odd that Obama will be called on to do this and then be blamed for unemployment numbers. Still, this is an option.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  9. #49
    Sometimes wrong

    ttwtt78640's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Uhland, Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    34,602

    Re: IMF chief says U.S. needs blend of spending cuts, revenue raising

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    It is an option. And while painful, we will survive. There is no real way to cut spending and not lose jobs. Odd that Obama will be called on to do this and then be blamed for unemployment numbers. Still, this is an option.
    The jobs that should be "lost" are the useless gov't leeches that simply waste money. Private employment will bounce back once the gov't allows it to. Gov't spending for income redistribution must be brought under control, constricting regulations rolled back to a minumum and taxation policy reformed to remove the social engineering and crony capitalism that has been allowed to permeate the tax code.
    “The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists to adapt the world to himself.
    Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” ― George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman

  10. #50
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: IMF chief says U.S. needs blend of spending cuts, revenue raising

    Quote Originally Posted by ttwtt78640 View Post
    The jobs that should be "lost" are the useless gov't leeches that simply waste money. Private employment will bounce back once the gov't allows it to. Gov't spending for income redistribution must be brought under control, constricting regulations rolled back to a minumum and taxation policy reformed to remove the social engineering and crony capitalism that has been allowed to permeate the tax code.
    it doesn't matte much to those who lose them. Unemployed is unemployed. And there is no evidence the private sector is bouncing back. Nor are regulations as much to blame as some like to pretend. The fact is people elsewhere work for a lot less. And they don't have healthcare attached to employment (They have UHC). So, as much as some like to think all would be fixed this way, it won't. Most those people are not leeches, but workers doing a job. You may not want that job done, but it is a job and requires work.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •