Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 124

Thread: Chrysler workers canned for drinking on the job reinstated

  1. #61
    Global Moderator
    Truth will set you free
    digsbe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Metro Washington DC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,990

    Re: Chrysler workers canned for drinking on the job reinstated

    Quote Originally Posted by What if...? View Post
    And yet there's a laundry list of prescription drugs people take before and during work that impair one just as bad or worse than a beer.

    Its just that beer is "fun" impairment and fun impairment is "bad" because its fun.

    The whole drug war is based on this mindset.

    I can get behind not getting high enough that your performance suffers at work. You are being paid after all.

    Our current models are based on the simple math that its cheaper to ban behavior outright than to punish actual bad actors.

    And I promise many executives have a glass of wine or a drink with lunch.
    Even if you have a legal prescription for a medication if it makes you drowsy or impairs judgement you can be charged if you operate motor vehicles, there are still restrictions on legal prescription use. It's also illegal for many in healthcare to use them while at work. A pharmacist I used to work with had a tooth procedure done and had to work 14 hours without taking any of his pain medication and told me it's illegal to practice pharmacy under the influence of any substance, the same is true for many other healthcare professionals.
    When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser. -Socrates
    Tired of elections being between the lesser of two evils.

  2. #62
    Sage
    Moot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Utah
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:04 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    27,474

    Re: Chrysler workers canned for drinking on the job reinstated

    Quote Originally Posted by Born Free View Post
    Sure it occurs with non-union employees. The big difference is, when they fire you for drinking on the job, you stay fired. You're gone, no more job, period. You know a person impaired on the job and gets a serous injury who pays for that? Let me tell you. Work Comp Ins, which the employer pays for, and the more injures on the job the higher the cost of Work Comp Ins.
    The employees were fired and there is little evidence aside from FoxNews that they were hired back.

  3. #63
    versus the world
    Surtr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    The greatest planet in the world.
    Last Seen
    06-10-14 @ 03:54 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    7,017

    Re: Chrysler workers canned for drinking on the job reinstated

    Quote Originally Posted by Hugh_Akston View Post
    Chrysler workers canned for drinking on the job reinstated | Fox News




    So we the taxpayers bail out the unions car companies, employees are caught drinking on their lunch break, going back to work under the influence, are fired and now they get their jobs back? And some wonder why anyone has a problem with unions?
    Another reason not to buy a Chrysler product. Not going to trust my safety to a vehicle manufactured by a bunch of drunk potheads.
    I love the NSA. It's like having a secret fan-base you will never see, but they're there, watching everything you write and it makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside knowing that I may be some person's only form of unconstitutional entertainment one night.

  4. #64
    Sage
    lpast's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Fla
    Last Seen
    05-21-16 @ 10:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    13,565

    Re: Chrysler workers canned for drinking on the job reinstated

    Quote Originally Posted by tessaesque View Post
    If you test positive for narcotics (even with a prescription) after a work related accident you can be suspended from duties until such time as the prescription has run its course in some states. The fact of the matter is, asking employees to refrain from alcohol or drugs immediately before or during the work day is simply not unreasonable. And your point on the CEO/executives is moot, because I personally feel the rule should apply to them as well...and them exempting themselves doesn't make the rule any less practical.
    I agree and I also agree those chrysler employees should not have been re instated...what I did want to convey quite plainly to those that say the UNION got them reinstated is that is NOT TRUE...the union represents the employee...the arbitrator is chosen not by the union..most times by the court...and the union presents their case to him and the company and the independent arbiter makes the decision..if its in contract by the two parties the arbitrators decision is binding then thats that..if not the losing side gets to go to court...Chrysler decided not to pursue it and move on...

  5. #65
    Student Mr. E's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    PNW
    Last Seen
    10-27-13 @ 05:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    224

    Re: Chrysler workers canned for drinking on the job reinstated

    I'm not a union member however even my job has an arbitration clause I could invoke upon being fired. Its all laid out in the contract I signed when I was hired. I don't see the issue.

  6. #66
    Resident Martian ;)
    PirateMk1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:34 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    9,927

    Re: Chrysler workers canned for drinking on the job reinstated

    Quote Originally Posted by tererun View Post
    At those levels it does not interfere with life, it makes it more robust. As long as it does not impair their production I am all for it. Yes you can drink a forty in an hour and be completely sober and reacting fine. Fine to do a job you do a whole lot so you know all about it. I bet those guys could probably do their jobs high as a kite. but they certainly would not have been high as a kite on that. Take it from me I am an admitted drug taker. I have been on what they were on and they really are just singing themselves a tune at work. That is fine by me.
    I dont care if people want to drink do drugs whatever floats their boat. But if they work for me part of my stipulation is 12 hrs bottle to throttle and 48hrs for for anything else. They cant handle that that cant work for me. I have liablities when I employ people, I have the right to limit those liabilities best I can. In MY opinion which by the way, would be the one that counts if I hired them, these people utilized poor judgement and unnessarily exposed the company to additional legal liability. If they an accident they would have been tested and most likely have failed that test which puts the company at risk. It for that reason I would canned their ass permanetly. But I dont have dog in this fight and dont rightly care. Chysler wants to hire em back thats their perogative, though to be honest they are being stupid. Any accident that happens at that facility now will put Chrysler at a lot more legal risk than it was, and rightly so. The law dont give a rats ass what you can do and how well you can do it while you are drunk, stoned or whatever else, you and your judgement are considered impaired. If the company knows that you are impaired by whatever and does nothing is completly and totaly ****ed. They will be most likely shutting their doors. Anybody thats in business knows this. If they dont, they aint in business for long.
    Semper Fidelis, Semper Liber.
    I spit at lots of people through my computer screen. Not only does it "teach them a lesson" but it keeps the screen clean and shiny.
    Stolen fair and square from the Capt. Courtesey himself.

  7. #67
    Sage
    samsmart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,316
    Blog Entries
    37

    Re: Chrysler workers canned for drinking on the job reinstated

    Quote Originally Posted by Hugh_Akston View Post
    The taxpayers bailed out the struggling car company - FACT
    This was not a negotiation, this was the ruling of an arbitrator - FACT
    No way in hell these guys should have their jobs back, bailout or no.
    Well, to be fair, just because they were caught drinking at work doesn't mean they should be prohibited from working any place ever.

    They still need to make a living, after all, and at least they're doing it by doing an honest job.

    I'm not saying they shouldn't be punished - they should. But we also shouldn't prohibit them from working, or be surprised that they find work after making a mistake.
    Also, we need to legalize recreational drugs and prostitution.

  8. #68
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: Chrysler workers canned for drinking on the job reinstated

    Quote Originally Posted by tererun View Post
    I watched the video and the reporter was so sure they were drunk driving that he didn't call the police. So he caught some guys taking a break and alcohol and pot burn off pretty fast if you don't drink a lot which they did not. An hour from that break they would be clean sober. They were not drunk, they were not high. They were not even really buzzed. They were just relaxed on their break. You know what? I bet they work hard to make those cars so take a good break and relax, you did a job that was hard work. yes, I am on that guys side, and yeah he deserves his job back.
    Did you see the part where it was their fellow employees who tipped off the media, those who didn't want to work with drunks and potheads?

    Those employees knew they were in the wrong when they tried to flee the scene, otherwise they would have just stayed where they were.

    I don;t see how you could have possibly watched the video all the way through.

  9. #69
    Global Moderator
    Silent Bob for President!

    RedAkston's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Florida
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:34 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    33,816
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Chrysler workers canned for drinking on the job reinstated

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    So, what, people who drink on the job should never be allowed to have any job again ever?
    Quote Originally Posted by samsmart View Post
    Well, to be fair, just because they were caught drinking at work doesn't mean they should be prohibited from working any place ever.

    They still need to make a living, after all, and at least they're doing it by doing an honest job.

    I'm not saying they shouldn't be punished - they should. But we also shouldn't prohibit them from working, or be surprised that they find work after making a mistake.
    Where did I say any job? If I was drinking on my break at work and got caught, I'd be fired from that job. It doesn't mean that I can't walk across the street and get a job there.
    Welfare (Food Stamps, WIC, etc...) are not entitlements. They are taxpayer funded handouts and shouldn't be called entitlements at all. Social Security and Veteran's benefits are 'Entitlements' because the people receiving them are entitled to them. They were earned and paid for by the recipients.

  10. #70
    Ho, ho, ho.
    Superfly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    East Coast
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:15 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    21,689

    Re: Chrysler workers canned for drinking on the job reinstated

    Quote Originally Posted by tessaesque View Post
    They're a HUGE insurance liability...that's the beef. If one of them is injured even if not "impaired" they must subject to drug test. The presence of alcohol in their system would be an insurance nightmare for the company. Not to mention if they are impaired they're not only putting themselves at risk, but anybody they work with as well...and if their impairment causes injury to another, that's an even BIGGER nightmare for the company.
    Also -- they are automakers. They are building cars that people drive at 70 miles an hour down the interstate. It concerns me to know that someone was drinking and smoking pot, while they are supposed to be building cars.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chomsky
    It's easy to be a Conservative, until you need help.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal
    After years of condemning Bill Clinton for being a rapist, Republicans apparently changed their minds about the whole thing and elected one of their own.
    Quote Originally Posted by iliveonramen
    Fox News knows their audience. Nuance and facts aren't why they tune in.

Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •