Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 124

Thread: Chrysler workers canned for drinking on the job reinstated

  1. #41
    Slayer of the DP Newsbot
    danarhea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    39,748

    Re: Chrysler workers canned for drinking on the job reinstated

    Quote Originally Posted by tererun View Post
    If it was one beer on an hour break they would not even be too impaired to drive back to work. The company stepped way out of line with this. had they drug tested them and found them too intoxicated to work then you would have a point, and if they were actually drinking on the job and not their lunch break you would have a point. however, neither was done and the employees were fired over some pictures without even determining if they were capable of doing their job.

    Of course that is all pointless anyway as this article is a clear attack on unions and trying to claim that unions want everyone to be drunk and on drugs while working. Instead the union actually did what it was supposed to do and protect employees terminated wrongly. Perhaps the unions are needed if this is what the employer does when they think they can. Maybe we do need unions in place to stop employers from overreaching into workers private lives. Employers are already trying to fire women for using their paychecks to buy birth control. Employers already fire people for smoking tobacco products on their free time. Employers already fire people for getting caught going out and drinking on their free time. Maybe if this sort of thing is stopped by unions it makes sense to have them in place.
    When I worked at Texas Instruments, my co-workers and me went out to this Mexican restaurant every Friday for lunch. We always had a beer with our lunch too. There was never any problem. The upper management at TI usually went out for 3 martini lunches too, at least once a week. And parties on the weekend? Upper management had a lot of those. I was invited to 2 of them, and they were both celebrations of drunkenness. For your information, Texas Instruments is NOT a union company.


    Of course, this thread, and article that accompanies it, is an attack on unions, and an attempt by FOX News to demonize them. When you consider the fact that FOX News is not a legitimate news organization, but the propaganda arm of the Republican party, articles like this are to be expected.
    The ghost of Jack Kevorkian for President's Physician: 2016

  2. #42
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: Chrysler workers canned for drinking on the job reinstated

    Quote Originally Posted by danarhea View Post
    Of course, this thread, and article that accompanies it, is an attack on unions, and an attempt by FOX News to demonize them. When you consider the fact that FOX News is not a legitimate news organization, but the propaganda arm of the Republican party, articles like this are to be expected.
    If you saw the video you would see union workers smoking pot, drinking, and that the Union spokesman denied ever seeing this happening and said it was definitely not allowed.

    Fox News was tipped off by two different employees in the plant who didn't want to work beside drunks and potheads.

    At the end of the report the reporters who covered the story said that the huge majority of Chrysler workers are hard working responsible people who didn't want their reputations besmirched by those who use drugs during their breaks, and at least one who appears to be taking beer to work.

    The reporters pointed out they they were not against Unions as they were also Union members.

    Attacking the messenger, in this case Fox news, is pointless. The real test is whether the story is true or not, and in this case there is no doubt that it is.

  3. #43
    Sage
    Born Free's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Sonny and Nice
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:21 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    6,396

    Re: Chrysler workers canned for drinking on the job reinstated

    Quote Originally Posted by lpast View Post
    Who gets a liberal sympathizer do you know who appoints the arbiter...it goes in front of an arbiter because believe it or not there are LAWS that have to be followed in this country...we dont allow tyrants to "RULE" others existences untethered and thank god for that. Lastly you nor I have the authority to make the decision who goes to arbitration or not...nice rant but no substance.
    You don't get it. The employer has proof of drinking, he submits the evidence, end of story. There is nothing to arbitrate. Period. A company has a "0" tolerance policy and an employee is tested and has drugs in his system. He's fired. Nothing to arbitrate. Period. What your suggesting is every-time an employee gets fired he has the right to obtain arbitration. This is flat out false.

    Unless of course your a union teacher and is caught molesting children and is the worst teacher in the world, you can't fire them. This is because these teachers are working in the best interest of the children's education.
    Liberals - Punish the Successful, Reward the Unsuccessful
    Liberals - Tax, Borrow, Spend, and Give Free Stuff
    Obama's legacy - President Donald Trump

  4. #44
    Sage

    Mason66's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,461

    Re: Chrysler workers canned for drinking on the job reinstated

    Quote Originally Posted by What if...? View Post
    Is it an issue to have A beer at lunch?

    I know the evil unions are involved, but what about the over-reaching employers (who want to control ones behavior 24/7 when they only pay 8/7) and the insurance companies who rule by edict (the insurance industry sets automotive safety standards).

    I guess what im saying is how much control are we accepting to eliminate ALL foreseeable risks?

    (Might conceivably cause a problem someday for somebody, better just ban it outright instead of dealing with the hassle of punishing those who actually cause problems)
    Since when can an auto worker stop at one beer?

  5. #45
    Global Moderator
    Truth will set you free
    digsbe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Metro Washington DC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:03 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,983

    Re: Chrysler workers canned for drinking on the job reinstated

    I don't understand why the unions would even want to give these guys their jobs back or fight for them unless they were completely stupid (which I do believe they probably are).

    I think stimulus spending should be used to hire a cop to supervise the workers and haul them off to jail when they whip out marijuana or are drinking and then operate machinery
    When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser. -Socrates
    Tired of elections being between the lesser of two evils.

  6. #46
    Sage

    Mason66's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,461

    Re: Chrysler workers canned for drinking on the job reinstated

    Quote Originally Posted by tererun View Post
    Well, they could not have been terribly drunk or stoned as both are pretty obvious. You are trying to claim you get drunk off a beer or two, or even massively stoned off a joint and it lasts for hours. Really, I am a lighweight drinker. I am still pretty functional after a beer or two. Also, I did not see much proof offered aside from people claiming it was a joint or whatever. Even if it were a joint **** weed is not going to get you terribly high at all. Still, it doesn't last forever anyway and they clearly were not overly drunk or stoned as a supervisor could have clearly noted. You are making a huge issue over very little. Just the ideas you have that the moment you have a little to drink you are drunk, or even a toke off a joint will get you stoned shows you are relying on drug propaganda and BS for your opinions.

    The reason why these guys are back is because there is no proof they were drunk or stoned while working, and that the effects of any drinking clearly did not effect their performance. This is why you should not rely on interpretation and innuendo by faux news and might want to sdeal with some facts before your knee jerk reactions to union stories wrap around and show how overreactionary you really are.
    So you think it is OK to be a little drunk or a little stoned when working on a line with heavy machinery?

    You have no information on how many beers or joints were used so to defend drunk or high employees is wrong.

    Where did you get your perspective that it is OK to be intoxicated on the job, any job?

  7. #47
    Sage

    Mason66's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,461

    Re: Chrysler workers canned for drinking on the job reinstated

    Quote Originally Posted by danarhea View Post
    When I worked at Texas Instruments, my co-workers and me went out to this Mexican restaurant every Friday for lunch. We always had a beer with our lunch too. There was never any problem. The upper management at TI usually went out for 3 martini lunches too, at least once a week. And parties on the weekend? Upper management had a lot of those. I was invited to 2 of them, and they were both celebrations of drunkenness. For your information, Texas Instruments is NOT a union company.


    Of course, this thread, and article that accompanies it, is an attack on unions, and an attempt by FOX News to demonize them. When you consider the fact that FOX News is not a legitimate news organization, but the propaganda arm of the Republican party, articles like this are to be expected.
    Please stop being an Obama parrot. Those exact words come from his administration.

    Try to find your own way to say you don't like the truth being told.

  8. #48
    Count Smackula
    rathi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    10-31-15 @ 10:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    7,890

    Re: Chrysler workers canned for drinking on the job reinstated

    In Germany, workers often had a mandatory contract for employer provided beer during their lunch break. Drinking a single Coors light is less debilitating on average than the sleep deprivation that you see with most hospital workers who literally have lives in their hands. I wouldn't judge the situation with the employees unless all the specifics details are known.

  9. #49
    Bring us a shrubbery!
    tessaesque's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Plano, Texas
    Last Seen
    11-09-17 @ 06:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    15,910

    Re: Chrysler workers canned for drinking on the job reinstated

    Quote Originally Posted by What if...? View Post
    And yet there's a laundry list of prescription drugs people take before and during work that impair one just as bad or worse than a beer.

    Its just that beer is "fun" impairment and fun impairment is "bad" because its fun.

    The whole drug war is based on this mindset.

    I can get behind not getting high enough that your performance suffers at work. You are being paid after all.

    Our current models are based on the simple math that its cheaper to ban behavior outright than to punish actual bad actors.

    And I promise many executives have a glass of wine or a drink with lunch.
    If you test positive for narcotics (even with a prescription) after a work related accident you can be suspended from duties until such time as the prescription has run its course in some states. The fact of the matter is, asking employees to refrain from alcohol or drugs immediately before or during the work day is simply not unreasonable. And your point on the CEO/executives is moot, because I personally feel the rule should apply to them as well...and them exempting themselves doesn't make the rule any less practical.
    "Hmmm...Can't decide if I want to watch "Four Houses" or give myself an Icy Hot pee hole enema..." - Blake Shelton


  10. #50
    Sage
    lpast's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Fla
    Last Seen
    05-21-16 @ 10:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    13,565

    Re: Chrysler workers canned for drinking on the job reinstated

    Quote Originally Posted by Born Free View Post
    You don't get it. The employer has proof of drinking, he submits the evidence, end of story. There is nothing to arbitrate. Period. A company has a "0" tolerance policy and an employee is tested and has drugs in his system. He's fired. Nothing to arbitrate. Period. What your suggesting is every-time an employee gets fired he has the right to obtain arbitration. This is flat out false.

    Unless of course your a union teacher and is caught molesting children and is the worst teacher in the world, you can't fire them. This is because these teachers are working in the best interest of the children's education.
    You dont get it and your not even worth 1 sec more time..

Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •