Page 10 of 24 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast
Results 91 to 100 of 235

Thread: Supreme Court will tackle same-sex marriage

  1. #91
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    08-09-13 @ 08:14 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    11,600

    Re: Supreme Court will tackle same-sex marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by RepublicanMcDuc View Post
    Here we go.
    Seems to me this is a civil rights issue whether State or Federal... regardless of whether one approves of gay marriage or not.

  2. #92
    Sage
    CriticalThought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:50 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    18,124

    Re: Supreme Court will tackle same-sex marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by ttwtt78640 View Post
    They cannot reproduce and bring forth the next generation of taxpayers.
    In Vitro Fertilization and Surrogacy. Technology has made that argument entirely irrelevant so I'm not sure why it keeps coming up aside from a bad case of confirmation bias where people ignore the obvious evidence to the contrary because they are set on thinking that way.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    The economy will improve under this bill. If a few people die, it will be for the betterament of this country.

  3. #93
    Sage
    CriticalThought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:50 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    18,124

    Re: Supreme Court will tackle same-sex marriage

    I hate that this is before the Supreme Court at this point. It is way too early and will likely end up being a huge set back for the gay rights movement. I just can't see same sex couples having a constitutional right to marriage. It is nowhere near as clear cut and inevitable as some on this thread have tried to make it sound.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    The economy will improve under this bill. If a few people die, it will be for the betterament of this country.

  4. #94
    Sage
    disneydude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 05:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,129

    Re: Supreme Court will tackle same-sex marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    I hate that this is before the Supreme Court at this point. It is way too early and will likely end up being a huge set back for the gay rights movement. I just can't see same sex couples having a constitutional right to marriage. It is nowhere near as clear cut and inevitable as some on this thread have tried to make it sound.
    I disagree. I think that the Supreme Court, especially Kennedy is not going to want to be remembered for being on the wrong side of history. Kennedy is likely to leave in the next few years and will be looking to protect his legacy on the court. Couple this with the fact that the proponents of prop 8 couldn't come up with a legitimate state interest served by the ban on gay marriage...it is unlikely that they have much to argue in the SCOTUS.
    <font size=5><b>Its been several weeks since the Vegas shooting.  Its it still "Too Early" or can we start having the conversation about finally doing something about these mass shootings???​</b></font>

  5. #95
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:15 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,775

    Re: Supreme Court will tackle same-sex marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by ttwtt78640 View Post
    They cannot reproduce and bring forth the next generation of taxpayers.
    They can and do.

    Next.
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  6. #96
    Sage
    Guy Incognito's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Last Seen
    12-02-17 @ 07:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    11,216

    Re: Supreme Court will tackle same-sex marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    Will interesting to see if try argue based on discrimination towards homosexuals or on gender.

    My personal hope is that they go the latter, as its a more simple constitutional case and less controversial as it does not require elevating sexual preference to a higher tier of scrutiny under the EPC
    Why not both?

  7. #97
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    10-30-14 @ 12:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,908

    Re: Supreme Court will tackle same-sex marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by RepublicanMcDuc View Post
    Here we go.
    I'm morally opposed to gay marriage, however as a libertarian my ethics are that a) states have the right to self legislate via the Tenth Amendment and b) the federal government should have no right to define marriage - government in general shouldn't even be involved in marriage. What people refer to as "marriage" is nothing but a contract between two individuals and it should be treated as such - in reality true "marriage" is a faith based sacrament.

    Besides, I don't understand why gays are so interested in wanting to get "married" - if someone loves someone else why would recognition from the state be important? That is why I believe this issue has nothing to do with marriage or love and everything to do with activism. I mean there is absolutely nothing stopping homosexuals from engaging in civil contracts with their "lover," and like I said marriage is nothing more than a contract.

    I suppose, IMO that gays really don't want gay marriage but they (ignorantly) believe that if the government accepts their demands a) they won something and b) they're finally "accepted" when in reality no one will shift their opinion just because the government recognizes them as "married."

  8. #98
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,789

    Re: Supreme Court will tackle same-sex marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Nick View Post
    I'm morally opposed to gay marriage, however as a libertarian my ethics are that a) states have the right to self legislate via the Tenth Amendment and b) the federal government should have no right to define marriage - government in general shouldn't even be involved in marriage. What people refer to as "marriage" is nothing but a contract between two individuals and it should be treated as such - in reality true "marriage" is a faith based sacrament.

    Besides, I don't understand why gays are so interested in wanting to get "married" - if someone loves someone else why would recognition from the state be important? That is why I believe this issue has nothing to do with marriage or love and everything to do with activism. I mean there is absolutely nothing stopping homosexuals from engaging in civil contracts with their "lover," and like I said marriage is nothing more than a contract.

    I suppose, IMO that gays really don't want gay marriage but they (ignorantly) believe that if the government accepts their demands a) they won something and b) they're finally "accepted" when in reality no one will shift their opinion just because the government recognizes them as "married."
    easy they want equal rights and the 1400 approx rights and benefits that some with that contract that many cant be achieved any other way so government needs involved.

    in reality true marriage is what anybody wants it to be and that most certainly doesnt not have to be a faith based sacrament nor is that factually what "true marriage" actually is.

    civil contracts are not the same and not equal

    sorry but your logic seems very broken to me, do you think blacks and women thought the same thing when they fought for equal rights, you think they just magically thought theyd all be accepted, i know many gays and of course i cant speak for the ones i dont know but none of them think this will grant them instant acceptance

    i think you are way off since i see no logic or evidence to suggest anything that you said is true in any large fashion at all.
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  9. #99
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:17 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    63,861

    Re: Supreme Court will tackle same-sex marriage

    Finally... SSM should have been legal decades ago.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have pooped in public, even in public neighborhoods.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  10. #100
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:17 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    63,861

    Re: Supreme Court will tackle same-sex marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Nick View Post
    I'm morally opposed to gay marriage, however as a libertarian my ethics are that a) states have the right to self legislate via the Tenth Amendment and b) the federal government should have no right to define marriage - government in general shouldn't even be involved in marriage. What people refer to as "marriage" is nothing but a contract between two individuals and it should be treated as such - in reality true "marriage" is a faith based sacrament.

    Besides, I don't understand why gays are so interested in wanting to get "married" - if someone loves someone else why would recognition from the state be important? That is why I believe this issue has nothing to do with marriage or love and everything to do with activism. I mean there is absolutely nothing stopping homosexuals from engaging in civil contracts with their "lover," and like I said marriage is nothing more than a contract.

    I suppose, IMO that gays really don't want gay marriage but they (ignorantly) believe that if the government accepts their demands a) they won something and b) they're finally "accepted" when in reality no one will shift their opinion just because the government recognizes them as "married."
    This is basically a polite type of gay bashing... shame on you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have pooped in public, even in public neighborhoods.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

Page 10 of 24 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •