Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 64

Thread: Hospital nurse found dead after taking prank call on Catherine

  1. #51
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Radio DJ Prank leads to Suicide

    Quote Originally Posted by HonestJoe View Post
    Nope. If you really want to discuss the really issues involved here, you need to actually understand what it's about.

    If you just want to sound like an idiot spouting hate and promoting murder though, you're spot on.
    So why don't you tell us what happened. Did you see those question marks, those indicate questions, not statements. Sorry if English isn't your primary language, but maybe you can learn it? That's another question.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  2. #52
    Guru
    Smeagol's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Last Seen
    02-19-17 @ 11:35 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,147

    Re: Radio DJ Prank leads to Suicide

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    I'm curious as to the nationality of the nurse. I am wondering if her suicide had more to do with "honor" than mental illness.
    An immigrant to England from India. Over 80% of Indians are Hindu. There are honor killings in Hinduism but its far more common in Islam, who are the primary religious group in neighboring breakaway country Pakistan. Of course, there are still some Muslims in India, just not the majorly. I'm not sure with what religious persuasion te late nurse identified.

    Honor killings usually don't involve suicide, but rather homocide. I have read about cases where suicide was committed driven by honor but out of pressure from family who wanted them dead but didn't want to go to jail. I've also heard of one case where an honor suicide was committed in a way that also caused the death of others. In that case a woman had gisgraced her family so instead of getting honor killed she agreed to carry out a suicided bombing. In all cases it's pressure from members of their own group, not pressure from people of other religions as would have been the case with the nurse.
    Having opinions all over the map is a good sign of a person capable of autonomous thinking. Felix -2011

  3. #53
    Sayonara!
    Maenad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    By the water.
    Last Seen
    07-09-14 @ 10:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,259

    Re: Radio DJ Prank leads to Suicide

    Quote Originally Posted by wolfie View Post
    She was a nurse...and I certainly wouldn't have wanted to be treated by her..because she obviously ''wasn't well''

    They are to hold a mass for her in Westminster Cathedral..her family attended a mass for her in Bristol...which would lead me to believe she was a Christian...and therefore not subject to the cult of ''shame'' inflicted on some Asian women..

    Her children are grown-up..and one of her sons appears to be mentally handicapped..

    Thanks Mom!!!
    So everyone who has a mentally handicapped child is deranged?

    There are 5 licensed MDs in TN who are schizophrenic. I personally know 3 of them. You seriously have no idea who is treating you.
    Last edited by Maenad; 12-15-12 at 03:05 PM.
    Redneck, hillbilly, fundie, Bible thumper, cracker, split tails, geezer, loon, xenophobe, islamaphobe, and homophobe are not words of tolerance.

  4. #54
    Sayonara!
    Maenad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    By the water.
    Last Seen
    07-09-14 @ 10:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,259

    Re: Radio DJ Prank leads to Suicide

    Quote Originally Posted by Smeagol View Post
    An immigrant to England from India. Over 80% of Indians are Hindu. There are honor killings in Hinduism but its far more common in Islam, who are the primary religious group in neighboring breakaway country Pakistan. Of course, there are still some Muslims in India, just not the majorly. I'm not sure with what religious persuasion te late nurse identified.

    Honor killings usually don't involve suicide, but rather homocide. I have read about cases where suicide was committed driven by honor but out of pressure from family who wanted them dead but didn't want to go to jail. I've also heard of one case where an honor suicide was committed in a way that also caused the death of others. In that case a woman had gisgraced her family so instead of getting honor killed she agreed to carry out a suicided bombing. In all cases it's pressure from members of their own group, not pressure from people of other religions as would have been the case with the nurse.
    I agree. I believe this was a cultural thing. In this country, we simply don't understand the remaining vestiges of feudalism. I believe, because she believed herself to have offended the royal famly, she had no other course of action.
    Redneck, hillbilly, fundie, Bible thumper, cracker, split tails, geezer, loon, xenophobe, islamaphobe, and homophobe are not words of tolerance.

  5. #55
    Cheese
    Aunt Spiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Sasnakra
    Last Seen
    09-10-16 @ 06:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,433

    Re: Radio DJ Prank leads to Suicide

    Quote Originally Posted by wolfie View Post
    She was a nurse...and I certainly wouldn't have wanted to be treated by her..because she obviously ''wasn't well''

    They are to hold a mass for her in Westminster Cathedral..her family attended a mass for her in Bristol...which would lead me to believe she was a Christian...and therefore not subject to the cult of ''shame'' inflicted on some Asian women..

    Her children are grown-up..and one of her sons appears to be mentally handicapped..

    Thanks Mom!!!
    So - you have evidence she had serious issues before someone turned her into the laughing stock of the whole world?

    Honestly - if you were in your shoes - how would you feel if you violated the privacy and trust of someone like the Queen of England?

    Yeah - I'd feel like utter **** for being in the position where someone could take advantage of me and ruin my life all for the sake of a JOKE.
    A screaming comes across the sky.
    It has happened before, but there is nothing to compare it to now.
    Pynchon - Gravity's Rainbow

  6. #56
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Last Seen
    10-27-13 @ 03:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,229

    Re: Radio DJ Prank leads to Suicide

    Quote Originally Posted by Aunt Spiker View Post
    So - you have evidence she had serious issues before someone turned her into the laughing stock of the whole world?

    Honestly - if you were in your shoes - how would you feel if you violated the privacy and trust of someone like the Queen of England?

    Yeah - I'd feel like utter **** for being in the position where someone could take advantage of me and ruin my life all for the sake of a JOKE.

    Would you feel so p*ssed off that you would need to commit suicide immediately??

  7. #57
    Sage
    Dragonfly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    East Coast - USA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 04:33 PM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    15,494

    Re: Radio DJ Prank leads to Suicide

    The lady was not trained to screen calls. She was not thinking anyone would impersonate the Queen. She heard one sentence from a call and simply forwarded the call to the appropriate area of the hospital.

    I'm sure there was other things going on when the call came in. Other distractions in the area.

    There was no hesitation in her simply responding to a request to speak to somebody. It's like she was answering a call at Home Depot and somebody asked to speak to the manager of the lumber department.

    She simply did not consider it might be a hoax call.

    I can't even begin to fathom how that 10 seconds of trying to help answer some phone calls could lead to suicide.

    An embarrassing mistake? Sure.

    But it's not like somebody died. And be real here....as a professional in a medical hospital making a deadly mistake is a very real possibility.

    She did not compromise the safety or security of the patient. She forwarded to call to the appropriate area of the hospital.

    It wasn't her job to screen calls.

    The extremeness of killing yourself over such a thing is just dumbfounding.

  8. #58
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Radio DJ Prank leads to Suicide

    Quote Originally Posted by Smeagol View Post
    An immigrant to England from India. Over 80% of Indians are Hindu. There are honor killings in Hinduism but its far more common in Islam, who are the primary religious group in neighboring breakaway country Pakistan. Of course, there are still some Muslims in India, just not the majorly. I'm not sure with what religious persuasion te late nurse identified.

    Honor killings usually don't involve suicide, but rather homocide. I have read about cases where suicide was committed driven by honor but out of pressure from family who wanted them dead but didn't want to go to jail. I've also heard of one case where an honor suicide was committed in a way that also caused the death of others. In that case a woman had gisgraced her family so instead of getting honor killed she agreed to carry out a suicided bombing. In all cases it's pressure from members of their own group, not pressure from people of other religions as would have been the case with the nurse.
    Well that's not always the case. In Japan, honor suicide is quite common. I don't doubt that it is probably also common in other countries who live by honor codes, such as Muslim countries. We just don't hear about the suicides and they probably aren't documented very accurately either. I certainly wouldn't rule it out in this case. Of course, it was probably more likely a combination of things that led up to it.

  9. #59
    Guru
    Smeagol's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Last Seen
    02-19-17 @ 11:35 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,147

    Re: Radio DJ Prank leads to Suicide

    Quote Originally Posted by Maenad View Post
    I agree. I believe this was a cultural thing. In this country, we simply don't understand the remaining vestiges of feudalism. I believe, because she believed herself to have offended the royal famly, she had no other course of action.
    On feudalism: a big reason for its adherence today is the people living it take a great deal of pride in that era in their history and thus want to live in it and almost everything about the culture of that era all the time.

    I don't think she killed herself over shame of embarrassing the British royal family. I think she killed herself because she was emotionally/psychologically weak and after the embarrassment to the hospital, the higher up placed everyone involved under a great deal of intimidation and stress.
    Having opinions all over the map is a good sign of a person capable of autonomous thinking. Felix -2011

  10. #60
    Cheese
    Aunt Spiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Sasnakra
    Last Seen
    09-10-16 @ 06:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,433

    Re: Radio DJ Prank leads to Suicide

    Quote Originally Posted by wolfie View Post
    Would you feel so p*ssed off that you would need to commit suicide immediately??
    Honestly - I cannot imagine how horrid the aftermath was for her - I can't pretend to say I would or wouldn't. maybe I would? I imagine she probably even received death threats and just the most vicious hate.

    I don't understand it - but people protect the queen with a vehemence. I imagine the suffocating self hate that would quickly stir if everyone directed the vehemence onto me . . . it might make it a high possibility if I know my life will never- ever - be peaceful and sane again.
    A screaming comes across the sky.
    It has happened before, but there is nothing to compare it to now.
    Pynchon - Gravity's Rainbow

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •